Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuous usb power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You missed the point. I want the cicarette lighter to be on so I can run my refridge.
Ah, so you mean the receptacle not the lighter itself. If you connect the battery to be charged by the alternator then unless you have some kind of switch to isolate the circuit when you shut off the car you'd probably still end up draining your primary 12v battery. If you don't have it charge via the alternator then your aux battery will drain fairly quickly and you'll be left with warm beer... err fridge contents. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Ah, so you mean the receptacle not the lighter itself. If you connect the battery to be charged by the alternator then unless you have some kind of switch to isolate the circuit when you shut off the car you'd probably still end up draining your primary 12v battery. If you don't have it charge via the alternator then your aux battery will drain fairly quickly and you'll be left with warm beer... err fridge contents. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
You have an alternator in your X? :confused:o_O:p;)

I understand about a cutout relay when the tesla is off. I still think that connecting the 2 batteries in parallel could be a problem. I don't understand the electronics of the tesla 12 v charging system. Possibly the increase of resistance of 2 parallel batteries would fool the tesla charging system and cause a problem.

12v to 120v inverter. 120v input 7.5 amp 12v smart charger connected to 35ah sealed battery.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 78
Are you only getting abou 5-6hrs of auxiliary cooling with that setup? Does the fridge run continuously or intermittently, I'm curious how long will it keep things cool?
The fridge is on intermittently. Depends on the setting on the fridge/freezer and the temp in the car. Draws between .5 and 2 amps. I expect to get 24 hours. I'll let you know after I live with it for a while

Reactions: systemcrashed
I understand about a cutout relay when the tesla is off. I still think that connecting the 2 batteries in parallel could be a problem. I don't understand the electronics of the tesla 12 v charging system. Possibly the increase of resistance of 2 parallel batteries would fool the tesla charging system and cause a problem.
It is my understanding that when the 12v battery's charge drops low enough it is simply recharged by the main pack.

I know Inread that somewhere on here. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of how this works will chime in.