Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contract to Installation times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered 7/28 - 8.16kwh + 2 Powerwalls. Tesla submitted permits on 8/11 to L.A County. Permitted rejected 6 times so far, 6th time rejection was yesterday 9/22. Frustrated as hell as I just shot an angry email to my advisor who replies to half of my emails. Never knew L.A county would be so detailed and an incompetent permit submitter would be employed by Tesla.

COLA is famously difficult down south, even I have heard of them.

I just put down my deposit today for an 8.16 kW system, no powerwall. I live in Mesa, AZ and have SRP Electric Utility. I'm in a house with a flat roof and no shade where I want it installed. Should be an easy install. Hoping to get the 26% tax credit but am not holding out hope.

2-Powerwalls ordered for an existing 11.4kwh system.
Westchester County, NY

Ordered 8/20/2020
Approved Design 08/29/2020
As of 9/25/2020 (According to energy advisor) Application for permits have NOT be submitted.

It doesn't seem reassuring. I'm inclined to cancel if this spills over to 2021. I would say PW's are an overreaction to Hurricane Isiais. and definitely a nice-to-have for us given net metering and the number of times we have lost power. So the 4% incentive difference and having to wait until 2022 to have tax credits apply, will likely make cancel if it can't get done in 2021.

Curious if anyone has had trouble getting $100 refund when canceling an order?

Can anyone chime in on how long it took Tesla to supply a permit to their city/county? I've been waiting on this part of the process since 9/10. I called my advisor on 9/17 and actually got a hold of them for the first time, and they said they are waiting for someone to draw up the blueprints of the powerwall to submit with the permit.
I think it took them about 6-8 weeks to get the permit filed and paid here in Northern Califonia. This did include some of the holidays since we committed in late October 2019 and construction started March 3, 2020. This was for a SolarGlass roof and was within the time window we were given in October/November. We started then to ensure we would be able to claim it on our 2020 taxes.

I think it took them about 6-8 weeks to get the permit filed and paid here in Northern Califonia. This did include some of the holidays since we committed in late October 2019 and construction started March 3, 2020. This was for a SolarGlass roof and was within the time window we were given in October/November. We started then to ensure we would be able to claim it on our 2020 taxes.
Thank you for the response. I spoke with my advisor again on Thursday (9/24) to ask if she could follow up with that department to see where I am in the queue for getting my blueprints drawn up, and she said she asked them to make it a priority, then reassured me it will be done soon. I am sure they say that to all the customers that call in asking about status. I am hoping it gets installed before the end of the year so that I can claim the 26% tax credit, but I have my doubts. I also took the time to see what the permit application looks like for solar and ESS. It seems my city is one of the stringent ones that require wet signed documents by the preparer, west signed and seals from the architect/engineer and a whole laundry list of documentation, drawings etc. I am sure the hoops TESLA has to jump through in my city is not helping with the speed of submitting my permit.

Thank you for the response. I spoke with my advisor again on Thursday (9/24) to ask if she could follow up with that department to see where I am in the queue for getting my blueprints drawn up, and she said she asked them to make it a priority, then reassured me it will be done soon. I am sure they say that to all the customers that call in asking about status. I am hoping it gets installed before the end of the year so that I can claim the 26% tax credit, but I have my doubts. I also took the time to see what the permit application looks like for solar and ESS. It seems my city is one of the stringent ones that require wet signed documents by the preparer, west signed and seals from the architect/engineer and a whole laundry list of documentation, drawings etc. I am sure the hoops TESLA has to jump through in my city is not helping with the speed of submitting my permit.

Yeah, getting something by end of year is questionable, especially with someone having to make real signatures rather than Docusign.

Well the structural stamp is about 2-3 days delay usually.
Wet signed is something a jurisdiction can ask but its against the law of the California business and professional ethics code to require it.

Per the code, e-sign is just as good as wet ink. Practically, not one jurisdiction that I am familiar with requires actual wet signatures unless its a commercial sized job.

Fingers crossed you get across the line before the EoY. I know this same rush happened last year and plan checkers were totally overwhelmed.

Well the structural stamp is about 2-3 days delay usually.
Wet signed is something a jurisdiction can ask but its against the law of the California business and professional ethics code to require it.

Per the code, e-sign is just as good as wet ink. Practically, not one jurisdiction that I am familiar with requires actual wet signatures unless its a commercial sized job.

Fingers crossed you get across the line before the EoY. I know this same rush happened last year and plan checkers were totally overwhelmed.

Thank you, Vines. I am a bit concerned on the permit approval side as well. I've been keeping an eye on the city permit etrackit site and see an influx of solar permits coming in daily.

Thank you, Vines. I am a bit concerned on the permit approval side as well. I've been keeping an eye on the city permit etrackit site and see an influx of solar permits coming in daily.
your city allows you to check the consolidated number of permits open and those coming in daily? For LA county you have to enter the actual home address.. don't see a way to check pending permits or new ones coming in daily.

your city allows you to check the consolidated number of permits open and those coming in daily? For LA county you have to enter the actual home address.. don't see a way to check pending permits or new ones coming in daily.

The etrackit site for my city allows you to check permit by date applied, issued, finaled, permit number, site address, contractor, permit type, permit subtype, site APN. I've been checking daily to see if mine pops up, as its quicker to type in the date than my address. Also, did some analysis on permits coming in from Tesla and how soon they are issued, so I can get a rough estimate on how long it would take.

LA County makes up a tad over 25% of California's population. I can see why LA county would limit your search options for permits, as it would probably have hundreds to thousands of records pop up in the search results.

Update :
8/14 : Start the process Panels only
8/21 : Design ready for Review
8/29 : Redesign, added Powerwalls
9/1 : Home Evaluation
9/15 : Sign off redesign
9/21 : Town permit approved
9/26 : All documents generated and signed for Utility company .
10/5 : Permit sent for approval to utility company.

After adding the powerwalls, I had to push my advisor to get things moving till this point. For a period I took my eye off the ball and I think I lost 2 weeks. Would have been much longer if I did not push my advisor.
Quoted estimate for Utility company (Eversource Connecticut) turnaround 3/4 weeks.
Hoping I make it by 12/31/20.

9/30 - final inspection and approval.
10/5 - Tesla sent in our interconnect agreement to PG&E today. Told PG&E’s turn around time indicated 4-5 weeks (we’re in Santa Clara County), making PTO 11/2 to 11/9 timeframe.

For additional background and working some from memory:

01/04 - deposit on medium solar and 2 PWs
January - sent in photos, got roof design, revised once and approved
January/February - signed contract
2/21 - permit applied for, approved and issued 2/25.
However at permit time told we were going to need a MPU, Tesla was booked out for months
3/11 - permit for MPU to be done by our electrician applied and issued, work to start following week and then all work shut down until May due to Covid. We had .pdf of plans sent us as solar was to have gone in on 3/31.
5/4? - first day MPU work in our city could start I think, rough in inspection, stucco work done and permit inspection and finalized on 5/11
May/June - decided to add a third PW, new contract, still kept our place in line for installs in our area we were told
6/10 - our city wouldn’t accept a revision to original permit, so made Tesla apply for one just for the third one, they approved and issued on 6/16
July - received call to schedule install. First available date was in August. Took it.
7/31 - .pdf of our revised plans.
August - September - install of solar and PWs, solar was 2-3 days as we had added pest abatement (revised on contract) so 3rd day they finished the mesh barrier. PWs took longer since we wanted placement on other side of interior double car garage wall and needed more materials. Added expense and separate contract. One scheduled date was postponed due to wildfire air quality. Think about 3 days total for PWs. Was a more complicated install for them. One day extra for drywall work after some of our other previously installed equipment on the wall had to be moved. 9/30 was our final inspection.

Last edited: