Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contract to Installation times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Powerwalls seem to be in short supply right now and it looks like for some people they are being quoted install dates out as far as Feb. It does seem that tesla has a better supply than third party resellers, so if you ordered from Tesla you might be in better shape.

It also seems to vary greatly regionally depending on what stock is available locally as well as the number of local install teams and backlog of local installs.

The short version is... it’s really hard to predict. It could be anywhere from a few weeks to several months.

I ordered on July 15, 2020 and they are on my roof now (day 2).
- 16.32 Kw system with 4 powerwalls
- suburban Houston Texas (Richmond), no construction permits required by county, outside of city limits
- cash purchase
- large reasonably easy south facing roof. 48 panels with 38 south, 4 east, 6 west.

I had a few issues at the beginning:
- original layout had conflicts with vents the satellite design automation didn’t see
- when they redid the design the computer assigned a higher price ($4k more) as the price was increased 4 hours after my original contract & design. It took daily calls and texts to the Vegas and California teams to get this fixed.
- the phone guys got tired of my calls and all the notes they were adding to my file so they finally arranged a site visit.

not sure what the Connecticut situation is, but greater Houston has two Tesla employed install teams, and today they said they were scheduling into late November now.

I suggest calling the phone number on your Tesla account frequently and asking how you can help move it faster, as well as pointing out any issues that have not been addresses since your last call. I also checked to see if project permitting was required in my area (it is not) and pointed this out which takes away the excuse of “we are waiting on permits”. Phone calls go to a pool of ‘consultants’, the texts are your assigned advisor. Ping them both!

good luck!

Paid my $100 on 6/22/20
Took to 8/30/20 to get all the paperwork correct after many iterations and submitted to utility SRP for approval.
9/1/20 SRP rejects design due to wrong wiring
9/15/20 SRP reapproves design
10/20/20 - first day available for install

• Helpful
Reactions: usmat
I believe the sooner you can contact your local install team (or some customer in your area) the better you can assess the overall schedule. I suggest you start a thread (Or look through historical posts) specifically targeting your local market to make local connections. I did this in Houston and it helped me quite a bit!

Started conversation with local TMC members. Feedback from one owner, is 2 months deposit to install in Connecticut. I have had to push through the document process.

I believe the sooner you can contact your local install team (or some customer in your area) the better you can assess the overall schedule. I suggest you start a thread (Or look through historical posts) specifically targeting your local market to make local connections. I did this in Houston and it helped me quite a bit!

Can anyone chime in on how long it took Tesla to supply a permit to their city/county? I've been waiting on this part of the process since 9/10. I called my advisor on 9/17 and actually got a hold of them for the first time, and they said they are waiting for someone to draw up the blueprints of the powerwall to submit with the permit.

This is my timeline on Long Island, Nassau county. 4.08kw with 2 powerwalls

• 8/15 Order placed
  • 8/24 Layout completed
  • 8/25 Signed order agreement
  • 8/31 Submitted project for utility approval
  • 9/10 Emailed advisor to ask about status, they said it can take three-five weeks
  • 9/17 Permits approved
  • 9/17 Scheduled install for 9/23
  • 9/23 Instillation
  • 9/24 Inspection scheduled (3rd party inspector?)
  • Advised that it takes 5-10 weeks for PSEG approval. Contact Tesla on 8th week

Can anyone chime in on how long it took Tesla to supply a permit to their city/county? I've been waiting on this part of the process since 9/10. I called my advisor on 9/17 and actually got a hold of them for the first time, and they said they are waiting for someone to draw up the blueprints of the powerwall to submit with the permit.

This is something that’s going to be very location dependent because different jurisdictions have vastly different requirements for permits. In my case my city requires signed and sealed engineering drawings. I ordered on 5/12 and tesla finally applied for the permit on 5/29. Other jurisdictions don’t have such stringent requirements and it can take only a few days for tesla to request the permit.

And again, once the permit has been requested different locations will take different amounts of time to approve it. In my case my city approved the permit in just two business days, but I’ve seen people post that it took their permitting authority several weeks or longer to approve it.

A lot of cities and counties have permitting information online, so you may be able to go to their website and search for your address and see if tesla has applied for the permit yet. If not you can keep checking every now and then to see when it finally does appear, then you can watch it and see when it is approved.

• Informative
Reactions: jedmo
This is something that’s going to be very location dependent because different jurisdictions have vastly different requirements for permits. In my case my city requires signed and sealed engineering drawings. I ordered on 5/12 and tesla finally applied for the permit on 5/29. Other jurisdictions don’t have such stringent requirements and it can take only a few days for tesla to request the permit.

And again, once the permit has been requested different locations will take different amounts of time to approve it. In my case my city approved the permit in just two business days, but I’ve seen people post that it took their permitting authority several weeks or longer to approve it.

A lot of cities and counties have permitting information online, so you may be able to go to their website and search for your address and see if tesla has applied for the permit yet. If not you can keep checking every now and then to see when it finally does appear, then you can watch it and see when it is approved.

Thank you, Bretts.

I've been watching the permit site for my city and have not seen it pop up. I did look at the history of how long it takes for approvals, and its about 5-7 business days. I just need Tesla to actually submit it.

I live in Nassau County, NY. 4.76 KW Solar panel only

• 7/28 Order placed
  • 7/30 Initial layout received
  • 8/6 revised layout submitted
  • 8/6 Signed order agreement
  • 8/14 Tesla submitted for Bldg permit
  • 8/24 obtained bldg permit
  • 8/26 Submitted project for utility approval
  • 8/28 scheduled my install for 9/22
  • 9/1 - Utility approved
  • 9/22 - installation
  • 9/23 Electric inspection ( the guy just called me and said he will come by and look from outside. He stated I don't need to be there,
As per my advisor, the inspector will submit his report. Then withing two weeks Tesla will submit for PTO to PSEG. Then maybe another two weeks?

Ordered 7/28 - 8.16kwh + 2 Powerwalls. Tesla submitted permits on 8/11 to L.A County. Permitted rejected 6 times so far, 6th time rejection was yesterday 9/22. Frustrated as hell as I just shot an angry email to my advisor who replies to half of my emails. Never knew L.A county would be so detailed and an incompetent permit submitter would be employed by Tesla.

Permit speed really varies wildly. San Jose you will get a permit next day even with 5 Powerwalls plus PV.

In County of Santa Clara jurisdiction, or City of Palo Alto (the absolute worst) it can take 6-8 weeks, but averages 3-4 weeks.

Most others are in between those.

COVID has made everything worse.