Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contradictory App Behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I received a notification on my phone that I had left the sunroof on my Model S partly open this afternoon when I ran an errand.
But when I tried to use the app to close the sunroof, it says "Updated yesterday" and shows the message "Vehicle Connection Error." I have seen that message many, many times and realize it means that the car cannot connect to the AT&T signal from where it is parked. Which is not uncommon, unfortunately. It is especially curious today because I drove the car, so it was out and about for an hour or so. Why didn't the app update the car's status during that period? Why is it still showing yesterdays' charge status and so on?

And if the car cannot connect, how is it that it can and does send a notification that the sunroof is open? Isn't that contradictory behavior? Or to put it another way, if it can tell me the sunroof is open, why can't I connect to close it? Or to see the charge status?
This happens often. For example, I always get a notification that charging completed even if a few hours later I cannot connect to preheat the car or check the car's state of charge, etc.

The app only updates when you open it. It does not update in the background. Also, there are features that can be used and still work with WiFi and bluetooth from the phone app even if the app doesn't connect to the car and update through the cellular signal (service, for example). Also, you might be able to receive an update, like a window down, but the cellular ATT signal is not connected.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
The app only updates when you open it. It does not update in the background. Also, there are features that can be used and still work with WiFi and bluetooth from the phone app even if the app doesn't connect to the car and update through the cellular signal (service, for example). Also, you might be able to receive an update, like a window down, but the cellular ATT signal is not connected.
Kind of makes sense. But I never close the app, it is always open. And even if I leave it as the active application on the screen, it will go all day without updating. I don't normally have the car connected via WiFi (it is parked too far from the house) so I can't see how it send notifications to the phone without using the AT&T cell connection....