Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Control Arm backorder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 Tesla unfortunates started making that horrendous creaking noise and I requested service about 2 months ago. They keep pushing back my appointment because the control arm is on backorder. They keep telling me that it’s safe to drive. I hate driving it because it has gotten so loud and people stare all the time at the car.
Any ideas on how long others have been waiting? They also keep telling me that there is nothing they can do to alleviate the problem until they replace the part.

I had the same issue with my driver's side upper control arm and it was getting really loud (a bit embarrassing in parking lots). I used some Liquid Wrench, sprayed into a small puncture I made in the rubber boot, and it silenced the creak almost immediately. I had to wait a couple weeks for my appointment, and the creaking sound never returned. In the spirit of full disclosure, I told the Tesla service rep what I had done - he was wondering why it wasn't making any noise the day or my service appointment. There are others that use grease which might be a better solution, but the Liquid Wrench route worked for me.

Reactions: Rmchrger
This stopgap will fix it for thousands of miles:

Take videos of the noise before you do anything as proof.
I took the wheel off, took off the ball joint pinch bolt and moved the ball around as in this video and the noise went away. Luckily I had the videos to show the service department.
I used one jack to jack up the car. Another jack to jack the suspension up to remove the bolt. When the suspension hangs down the upper control arm has some upward pressure on it as seen in the video. It helps the bolt remove and reinstall much easier.
Another member here posted the pinch bolt torque spec as 56Nm (41.30 ft lbs.)
This is only if the noise if from the upper ball joint. There are many other bushings and joints that could also make noise.
Not my video, hope it helps.

Mine just started squeaking like crazy. Ironically it started doing it immediately after they performed a proactive reseal of the ball joints with urethane. I’d never had any noises prior to them doing that. I have another service scheduled now, I guess we’ll see if it ends up getting delayed.

Just had mine done. Booked two months ago when the passenger side started. Got a message via app 2 days before appt that they only had the passenger side and wanted to replace both so I bumped appt one month and got it done.

It was very embarrassing while the sound was present.

Just had mine done. Booked two months ago when the passenger side started. Got a message via app 2 days before appt that they only had the passenger side and wanted to replace both so I bumped appt one month and got it done.

It was very embarrassing while the sound was present.
I'm a part time courier with my model 3 and it got so bad that I was afraid security guards were going to deny me access to their property.....

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev and henh2o
Mine started making noise 2 months after the sealing was done. Right after a Pacific Northwest winter. I think they actually sealed the water inside... I did notice the new arms they installed were both sealed. I think they did it when they installed them. But others I purchased privately were not sealed. All revision J.

I’ll second removing the pinch bolt and rotating the joint around to fixing the noise. You don’t necessarily need to jack up the suspension to remove/install the bol. Just pull down on the top of the control arm and it’ll take pressure off the bolt so you can remove/install it. It takes some effort but not a lot. I was able to do it pretty easily, even with some bruised ribs lol. Whole process took me 15min each side…including jacking up the car.

I had the same issue with my driver's side upper control arm and it was getting really loud (a bit embarrassing in parking lots). I used some Liquid Wrench, sprayed into a small puncture I made in the rubber boot, and it silenced the creak almost immediately. I had to wait a couple weeks for my appointment, and the creaking sound never returned. In the spirit of full disclosure, I told the Tesla service rep what I had done - he was wondering why it wasn't making any noise the day or my service appointment. There are others that use grease which might be a better solution, but the Liquid Wrench route worked for me.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to contact Tesla before I try to do anything as I don't want them to say it's not covered under warranty anymore because of what I've done.

I guess I got lucky recently. My front passenger control arm squeak came back a few weeks ago after being replaced ~2 years ago under warranty. I scheduled an appointment for about 5 days out. Tesla replaced both sides for only the cost of parts (less than $200). I guess they must have had them in stock and I got lucky with them goodwilling the labor, but I was incredibly happy with the service. They completed all the work in about 3 hours and gave me Uber vouchers even though I'm out of warranty.

Reactions: tm1v2