Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Control Arm Safety Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Upper control arms were groaning and creaking like crazy before I had them replaced. Weren't yours making all kinds of noises before it ultimately failed?

I recently had the groaning and creaking return. Thinking it was the upper control arms again I greased the heck out of them. But the noises continued. I knew something was not right because the car would "float" or wander a little when going straight. I took it to get an alignments and was told all 4 of the front Lower control arms were needing to be replaced as the bushings were cracking and one (suspected of making all the noise) had actually failed. 100K miles on the car and 4 new front lower control arms later the car is quiet again and no more wandering when going straight. Should note that it was not Tesla doing the repair - but they did go to Tesla for the parts.

Reactions: Falcon73
Thanks for the links. Very disturbing seeing so many instances of suspension failure in the Model S. I checked other years for Model S up through 2020 model year on the consumer complaint link and see several additional examples of sudden suspension failure. No question this issue could result in serious injuries or worse if occurring at high speeds. Problem isn't isolated to Model S. I found identical complaints with Model X and Model 3.

I looked at other manufacturer complaints to see if I could find similar examples, but without success.

How this isn't a recall issue is beyond me.
Meanwhile Porsche apparently just issued a recall of 489 out of <1,300 units of the 2004-2005 Carrera GT for suspension corrosion and stress. Don't know the details but I'm surprised that recalls are still active on an 18 year old car.

Last edited:
Meanwhile Porsche apparently just issued a recall of 489 our of <1,300 units of the 2004-2005 Carrera GT for suspension corrosion and stress. Don't know the details but I'm surprised that recalls are still active on an 18 year old car.

Prob because a famous person, Paul Walker, died in the same type of vehicle and Porsche knowing only other people of that status (celebs/rich people) can afford said car they don't need anymore bad stigma for a part failure.

My Upper control arms were groaning and creaking like crazy before I had them replaced. Weren't yours making all kinds of noises before it ultimately failed?

I recently had the groaning and creaking return. Thinking it was the upper control arms again I greased the heck out of them. But the noises continued. I knew something was not right because the car would "float" or wander a little when going straight. I took it to get an alignments and was told all 4 of the front Lower control arms were needing to be replaced as the bushings were cracking and one (suspected of making all the noise) had actually failed. 100K miles on the car and 4 new front lower control arms later the car is quiet again and no more wandering when going straight. Should note that it was not Tesla doing the repair - but they did go to Tesla for the parts.
I complained about a creaking noise every time I took my car in for something and my car would literally make a noise that sounded like a pop anytime I turned the wheel far enough backing up. This has been going on since I owned the vehicle in 2017 and every time they said they couldn’t recreate the noise.

I complained about a creaking noise every time I took my car in for something and my car would literally make a noise that sounded like a pop anytime I turned the wheel far enough backing up. This has been going on since I owned the vehicle in 2017 and every time they said they couldn’t recreate the noise.
Dang - that just sounds like a bad service center tech... This is the second story I reading recently of an owner asking for maintenance and not getting attention for a component that clearly needs replacing.

Prob because a famous person, Paul Walker, died in the same type of vehicle and Porsche knowing only other people of that status (celebs/rich people) can afford said car they don't need anymore bad stigma for a part failure.

And yet, Honda recalled 2006 CRVs last week because of suspension failures -- so, companies that value customer loyalty will recall dangerous components when non-famous, non-rich and non-Twitter-verified normal people own them.

The apathy Tesla seems to have to their early owners is why so many are going elsewhere. I'd love to see the actual stats on that.

And yet, Honda recalled 2006 CRVs last week because of suspension failures -- so, companies that value customer loyalty will recall dangerous components when non-famous, non-rich and non-Twitter-verified normal people own them.

The apathy Tesla seems to have to their early owners is why so many are going elsewhere. I'd love to see the actual stats on that.
You know it’s almost always NHTSA that decides when vehicles are recalled, right? Honda is just doing what they’re told, like Tesla does in the same circumstances.

You know it’s almost always NHTSA that decides when vehicles are recalled, right? Honda is just doing what they’re told, like Tesla does in the same circumstances.
I guess Honda owners were more inclined to file NHTSA complaints than stock-owning Musk fans. I've seen so many shady things get shrugged off by my fellow owners... I love the car but I don't understand the blind goodwill.

I heard there was a “version 2” of the upper control arm.
There is because they apparently replaced mine with “upgraded” parts. I knew it was an issue because they wanted me to replace both arms. They said their reasoning was these parts are replaced in pairs and not that anything was wrong. After they already told me this was a known issue over the phone.

• Informative
Reactions: fredjan and SO16