Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Control arm under warranty? [when over 50k miles on car]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 Model 3 was just in for service for the second time today to fix creaking from the front end. My car has 49,000 kilometres and still under warranty. Yet the technician accused me of having my car under coated (I have not) and denied warranty replacement of failed upper control arm bushings. The notes from the tech indicate “the presence of film and the way dirt/debris has collected on certain components has caused this component to fail prematurely”. I was completely shocked at the accusatory tone and his insistence that the car was undercoated even after I told him repeatedly it has not. I asked for photos and the old part back to try to make sense of what he was saying. They photos show nothing out of the ordinary (there is rust on the control arm though) and there is a bit of dirt accumulation on the control arm. I live in Canada and crusher dust and sand is commonly used on the roads. The excuse that dirt was a reason to deny warranty is completely inexplicable. I’m considering filing with the small claims court. I just can’t believe it.
Wow. The contrast between your post and the one above is startling. Tesla needs to get their service center ducks in a row.

Reactions: XPsionic
I’m still trying to make sense of it. I have to come to the conclusion that someone saw it fit to punish me for having an aftermarket power trunk kit installed. The week before, in a connected service visit, they also refused to complete the rear camera wire harness recall because of the power trunk kit. I have given this company so much patience and support over the years, but I’m soon done. This may very well be my last Tesla.

I’m still trying to make sense of it. I have to come to the conclusion that someone saw it fit to punish me for having an aftermarket power trunk kit installed. The week before, in a connected service visit, they also refused to complete the rear camera wire harness recall because of the power trunk kit. I have given this company so much patience and support over the years, but I’m soon done. This may very well be my last Tesla.
Making sense of it is likely impossible. It typically comes from the service manager being a jerk, who then hires jerks. First thing is to talk to the service manager to complain about the tech and see where that goes. If it goes nowhere then, if possible, find a new service center and patronize it instead.

Absolutely, raise a fuss however you can about this one. At least call it out specifically in its own thread at TMC.

What used to be my 2017 Model 3 (now owned by my daughter) just developed the usual squeaking symptoms on the left side on Monday (3/13). Out of warranty, with 51,000 miles on it. She used the app to set up an appointment for next week. They soon responded with a proposed fix of replacing both upper control arms at $90 apiece with no labor charge, which she approved. Part numbers (1044326-00-J & 1044321-00-J).
Sounds like an atypically good experience with SC/MS! Nice. They did however used depricated parts that will fail again in another x miles... for anyone getting a FUCA replacement (in/out of warranty) demand the cast iron pieces which rolled out last Fall:

Any of the earlier 1044 part numbers all have the same design flaw.

Reactions: Bet TSLA
Sounds like an atypically good experience with SC/MS! Nice. They did however used depricated parts that will fail again in another x miles... for anyone getting a FUCA replacement (in/out of warranty) demand the cast iron pieces which rolled out last Fall:

Any of the earlier 1044 part numbers all have the same design flaw.
I don't think the experience was way out of line for Silicon Valley. But thanks much for pointing out the potential issue. Tesla's always improving things, so deprecated (or at least outdated) parts are not uncommon. I'll pass the information on to my daughter.

Reactions: Perscitus