Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Control arm under warranty? [when over 50k miles on car]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my 2018 LR serviced under warranty with 62k miles early August this year. I’m assuming it’s free because of the known issue.
I can't find anywhere in my paperwork a mileage limit for my warranties, just that General and Roadside Coverage both last 4 years from the purchase date, and Battery and Drive Unit Coverage last 8 years from the purchase date.

Is there ever a mileage limit?

I’m just over warranty at 52k. But I was getting random squeaks before I hit 50k Over the winter. I thought it was just from all the salt/dirt from the winter…and never did anything about it. Didn’t know about this known issue lol. Some days it’s there some days it’s hardly noticeable. I decide to try the fix today.… unbolted the control arm/pinch bolt and rotated the ball joint around a bunch in all directions. I could hear the squeak in my passenger side one go away as soon as I started rotating it around. Drivers side was always quiet but did it anyway. Will see how long this lasts lol. FYI tesla had already done the control arm sealant service.

Reactions: Rmchrger
I did the same thing to mine. They were silent for a month until my service appointment. Thankfully I had multiple videos of the noise. I'm still in warranty so they replaced both. Keep an eye out if you steering gets stiffer to turn. Mine did, 2 weeks before my appointment. It was the ball joints. It went back to normal after they were replaced.

I’m just over warranty at 52k. But I was getting random squeaks before I hit 50k Over the winter. I thought it was just from all the salt/dirt from the winter…and never did anything about it. Didn’t know about this known issue lol. Some days it’s there some days it’s hardly noticeable. I decide to try the fix today.… unbolted the control arm/pinch bolt and rotated the ball joint around a bunch in all directions. I could hear the squeak in my passenger side one go away as soon as I started rotating it around. Drivers side was always quiet but did it anyway. Will see how long this lasts lol. FYI tesla had already done the control arm sealant service.

If you’re comfy, the needle grease injection method works great to relubricate the ball joint. Now that you’re squeakless, hit them with a pump or two of grease and you should be good for a long time.

I did the same thing to mine. They were silent for a month until my service appointment. Thankfully I had multiple videos of the noise. I'm still in warranty so they replaced both. Keep an eye out if you steering gets stiffer to turn. Mine did, 2 weeks before my appointment. It was the ball joints. It went back to normal after they were replaced.
Interesting your steering got stiffer….I wonder if your joint froze. I’d imagine if you can freely move the joint around then it shouldnt effect steering effort. Thanks for the heads up. Will def keep an eye on it.

If you’re comfy, the needle grease injection method works great to relubricate the ball joint. Now that you’re squeakless, hit them with a pump or two of grease and you should be good for a long time.
I think If I get to the point of needing to puncture the boot, I would just replace the arms. Anyone know if Tesla includes an alignment when they replace the control arm? I may just replace them myself. Will Tesla sell the arms?

I have an extra set of a-arms that I installed flush zert fittings into. As soon as my warranty is up I'll do the same to these new a-arms they just installed. Undo the joint boit as you did, rotating and moving the ball as grease is forced arounf the ball from the zerk.
There is another post with more detailed pics.
20210720_141104.jpg

Reactions: N54TT
I just had my upper control arms replaced (both sides) at 73,500 miles and Tesla didn't ask me to pay for anything. When I scheduled the service, I noted that this was an issue that was well documented in the owner community, but was a bit surprised that they didn't ask for payment from me. I've never had an issue with Tesla Service, and this again was a very positive experience.

I just had my upper control arms replaced (both sides) at 73,500 miles and Tesla didn't ask me to pay for anything. When I scheduled the service, I noted that this was an issue that was well documented in the owner community, but was a bit surprised that they didn't ask for payment from me. I've never had an issue with Tesla Service, and this again was a very positive experience.

Wow it’s amazing how inconsistent Tesla service centers are. You’ve got a nice service center! Still need to approve an estimate though….do you know what the cost would have been? Did it include an alignment? Does the invoice say warranty or goodwill?

I will definitely add a comment in the notes if/whenever I schedule a service appointment for the control arm…probably a good idea to mention the sealant TSB As evidence Tesla knows it’s an issue. Day two…its still silent Lol. Will post back if the noise ever comes back.

Last edited:
Wow it’s amazing how inconsistent Tesla service centers are. You’ve got a nice service center! Still need to approve an estimate though….do you know what the cost would have been? Did it include an alignment? Does the invoice say warranty or goodwill?

I will definitely add a comment in the notes if/whenever I schedule a service appointment for the control arm…probably a good idea to mention the sealant TSB As evidence Tesla knows it’s an issue. Day two…its still silent Lol. Will post back if the noise ever comes back.
I'm looking at my invoice, and no prices are listed. I asked about an alignment and they said they no longer perform an alignment when replacing the upper control arms since nothing involved in that work should affect the alignment. On the invoice under "Pay Type" is simply says "Goodwill - Service". One final note - I tend to be extremely polite and respectful when dealing with the service representatives. I've personally observed some customers being what I consider "abusive" and these folks are people too. A little kindness goes a long way.

Reactions: tm1v2
If you reported it to service before 50k they will likely cover it, otherwise no. I had a less extensive repair performed under warranty with my door handle and they kept cancelling the service appointment and I crossed the 50k warranty limit, but it was still covered.

as an aside - a few years back I had a Jaguar XJ8L check engine light come on at 4:30pm the day before it was out of warranty. I called service and they said they would log it in as being presented for service that day, and to simply park the car outside the dealership the next morning when I could get there. Ended up getting an entirely new computer covered under warranty by making that call.

My invoice says includes alignment check. Maybe thats just a test drive to make sure it doesn't pull and the wheel is straight l, who knows.

You can't "test" or "check" alignment during a test drive, unless there is something egregiously askew, which they would have noticed while replacing the control arm in the first place.

Same here. I've been trying to figure out what that means especially considering my car has been letting me know I need an alignment when on long stretches of highway

Most likely, it means absolutely nothing.
Putting a car on an alignment rack and taking properly measurements is, at least, a 30 minutes job. Adjusting alignment takes more time.
With the increased demand on the Tesla SC's (due to the growing vehicle fleet) exceeding capacity build out pace, its highly unlikely that SC's are doing anything more than "looks OK from here" visual checks.

My point was just stating what the invoice said, as some people mentioned they had mobile service replace their control arms, obviously without an alignment. And after a discussion with the mechanic that replaced my control arms during a second visit, the fact is my vehicle was never put on the alignment machine and checked. It was just test driven to make sure the wheel was straight and it didn't pull.

Was or is it correct? Debatable. But I wont be continuing a forum pissing match about it as this post is about control arm warranty over 50k, not opinions on alignments and test drives.

Regardless, if you drive the vehicle and it pulls, it needs an alignment. If you drive the vehicle and the steering wheel is not straight, it needs an alignment. Aside from obvious tire and/or suspension issues.

Last edited:
The Tesla service procedure for an upper control arm replacement differs based on if the service is performed in shop or by mobile service. If the replacement is performed in shop, the service manual instructs for alignment to be checked on an alignment rack and adjusted if necessary. The mobile service does not have access to an alignment rack so the service manual instructs for a test drive to be performed instead. This involves connecting a laptop with Toolbox 3, temp installing a level on the steering wheel and driving for 1km at 35+ kph on a perfectly straight road while monitoring the steering angle value. Obviously, this method of an alignment check has serious limitations.

If both left and right toe settings were off by a few degrees in opposite directions, it would not be detected because steering angle would still be zero.

If the steering angle was never reset after a toe change on a previous alignment, it would now falsely appear to need a new alignment.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and Rmchrger
Hi, got around 60k on my 2019 Model 3 control arm is starting to creak and squeak around the ball joint.

I have been told this is prevalent issue with Tesla’s with the control arm rubber boot not disbursing the grease around the ball joint evenly.

Will Tesla still honor this. Setup an appointment at SC, but if it’s as simple as apply new grease inside the boot I can easily do this. I have some mechanic experience from my past military life.

Do you think Tesla will honor this, since it’s a widespread issue with previous revisions of the control arm?
I just replaced both of mine at 51K miles. It was $198 out the door at Tesla and done in less than 2 hrs. Car drives quiet and I feel like it handles better.

Reactions: Rmchrger
What used to be my 2017 Model 3 (now owned by my daughter) just developed the usual squeaking symptoms on the left side on Monday (3/13). Out of warranty, with 51,000 miles on it. She used the app to set up an appointment for next week. They soon responded with a proposed fix of replacing both upper control arms at $90 apiece with no labor charge, which she approved. Part numbers (1044326-00-J & 1044321-00-J).

On Wednesday they sent a message saying that she could bring it in this Thursday or Friday. So on Thursday (yesterday) she got it fixed. Three hours. That included doing the recall stuff: replacing the trunk lid harness and inspecting the 2nd row seat belt. Also took the opportunity to do a brake fluid check (extra $25.50).

Total amount with tax $221.92. Fast, efficient, complete. Great experience! Including good communications, which is surprising to me.

She used the Service facility at 2801 Northwestern Parkway in Santa Clara, due to its convenience for her. She did ask why no charge for labor and was told it's their policy.

My 2019 Model 3 was just in for service for the second time today to fix creaking from the front end. My car has 49,000 kilometres and still under warranty. Yet the technician accused me of having my car under coated (I have not) and denied warranty replacement of failed upper control arm bushings. The notes from the tech indicate “the presence of film and the way dirt/debris has collected on certain components has caused this component to fail prematurely”. I was completely shocked at the accusatory tone and his insistence that the car was undercoated even after I told him repeatedly it has not. I asked for photos and the old part back to try to make sense of what he was saying. They photos show nothing out of the ordinary (there is rust on the control arm though) and there is a bit of dirt accumulation on the control arm. I live in Canada and crusher dust and sand is commonly used on the roads. The excuse that dirt was a reason to deny warranty is completely inexplicable. I’m considering filing with the small claims court. I just can’t believe it.

Attachments

• C73DDF04-21A1-4B18-9FA7-727C2472E833.jpeg
    C73DDF04-21A1-4B18-9FA7-727C2472E833.jpeg
    595 KB · Views: 62
  • 65EEC8A9-E586-4FD6-BA76-994327BE7706.jpeg
    65EEC8A9-E586-4FD6-BA76-994327BE7706.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 62