TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Control Knobs for a 1.5?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Strib, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Strib

Strib Member

My newly acquired low-mileage 2008 Roadster 1.5 already has a couple of the control knobs on the center console that have broken. Anybody know if they can be acquired somewhere?

2. ra-san

ra-san Member

#2 ra-san, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Mine would break by looking at them hard. The service centers always replaced them. Back in the day they had a supply on hand because they broke a lot. Last time they had to order them and took a couple weeks. I'd check with them. Of course, if it's still the same part, it'll still break easy. The only reason I went few as few pairs as I did was because I very rarely turned on the fan or changed the balance knob.

If you search the roadster forum, I recall an old thread that had a pic of different replacement knobs the owner had found on their own and put on. As I recall they were strong metal vs. plastic and looked like they wouldn't break.

3. slcasner

slcasner Member

The solution for the breaking knobs that I implemented for myself and that Tesla later did also (at least at the old Palo Alto SC) was to fill the inside of the knob with epoxy. That keeps the part that fits around the shaft from cracking. If you have one that is cracked but does not have pieces missing, you could probably repair it by tying a piece of wire around the cracked part to hold it tightly together, then filling the void with epoxy. If you can't find any other solution, I have one spare that I filled with epoxy six years ago but have not needed.

At least one such example was VIN 55, which just sold. A picture of the knobs is included in the eBay listing

4. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I have fixed 2 of these so far using the epoxy method. In both cases the inner piece had broken, but I had all the pieces to glue back in place and then fill the void with epoxy. I did not need to use wire to hold the parts in place because the epoxy was thick enough to keep everything in place while drying.

5. Strib

Strib Member

Thanks, all. Looks live I've stepped into a well known pile.

Yeah, one broken one that I have looks like it was already filled with black epoxy or potting compound.

I can affect a similar repair, but I'll also check with the Fremont SC. Thanks again.

6. xytor

xytor Roadster #221

I bought my roadster with a broken knob. The seller gave me some spare knobs filled with something, but they didn't work. The service center replaced it for 25 bucks.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Tip: don't try to adjust HVAC while driving over a bump. You'll break the knob. Of course everything is a bump in a Roadster! :tongue:

8. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

My SC guy said he broke one while installing it.

9. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

10. slcasner

slcasner Member

11. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Ah I see I missed your post :)
    Now be nice to find that part number, as I don't want to have to do trial and error to find one that works well and looks good.
    Knobs | Hardware, Fasteners, Accessories | DigiKey

12. billarnett

billarnett Member

That was a long time ago but I think I got them at Radio Shack. Nothing special. Any old knob that fits the (standard) shaft and that you think looks OK will do.

13. NomoC8

NomoC8 Member

I found one laying on the floor once or twice. Finally, I pulled them all off cause I like the way it's illuminated.