Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Control screen blank.

RichardGH

Nov 21, 2020
North Yorkshire
Help! Got in the car (Tesla 3) this morning. Tried to unlock the charge port but couldn’t and then the screen went totally blank and black. Unlocked the port via my iPhone app and car is driving ok but obviously I’m not happy as I can’t control anything.
Any suggestions what to do next?

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
Just got back in and miraculously now seems ok. But worrying. Does this suggest something fundamentally wrong?
I wouldn’t be concerned unless it happened frequently. It might not have responded because it was re-booting itself.
I’ve had similar a couple of times.

Alistairuk

Jun 25, 2020
Scotland
I’ve had it happen once (maybe twice) in 5 months - on both occasions no idea what caused it, once was after it had been sitting for a few days, the other was after I had been driving it earlier in the day. Like you reset didn’t seem to have any affect but getting out the car and back in again miraculously caused it to come alive.

GeorgeSymonds

Mar 16, 2018
UK
If the car is powered down fully and asleep it can take a while to wake up. Tesla seem to battle minimising vampire drain by making the car sleep deeper when it can (ie turn off more computers) and being responsive when you want it. Its why sometimes from the app it can also take a long time for the car to respond as its in deep sleep. The car also just gets confused from time to time.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC