Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Controlling set speed and following distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The offset is from the "speed limit sign" the car shows on the display...which is often not the real speed limit of the road. So a "0" offset would set the initial cruise speed of the car to that of the sign. A positive offset adds speed to that, and a negative offset subtracts. However, it will not set the cruise lower than the speed the car is currently traveling. So often I'm in a 25 MPH section of road, traveling at 25 MPH, but for whatever reason, the car thinks the speed limit is "40 MPH". If I enabled cruise then, with an offset of 0, the set speed of the car becomes 40 MPH. With an offset of -20, the set speed would be 40-20 or 20 MPH...however as I'm moving above 20 MPH, then the set speed becomes the current speed, which is what I want to happen when I enable cruise.

This effects both initial cruise and Auto Pilot set speed...but Auto Pilot has additional maximums applied based on the type of road it thinks it's on (which, once again, isn't always correct).

I'm glad to see there's at least a workaround for that problem now and will try it out on my drive home today. Have you encountered anything unexpected by setting such a large negative offset?

The offset is from the "speed limit sign" the car shows on the display...which is often not the real speed limit of the road.

So a "0" offset would set the initial cruise speed of the car to that of the sign.
A positive offset adds speed to that, and a negative offset subtracts.

However, it will not set the cruise lower than the speed the car is currently traveling.
So often I'm in a 25 MPH section of road, traveling at 25 MPH,
but for whatever reason, the car thinks the speed limit is "40 MPH".

If I enabled cruise then, with an offset of 0, the set speed of the car becomes 40 MPH.
With an offset of -20, the set speed would be 40-20 or 20 MPH...
however as I'm moving above 20 MPH, then the set speed becomes the current speed,
which is what I want to happen when I enable cruise.

This effects both initial cruise and Auto Pilot set speed...
but Auto Pilot has additional maximums applied based on the type of road it thinks it's on
(which, once again, isn't always correct).
I'm glad to see there's at least a workaround for that problem now and will try it out on my drive home today.

Have you encountered anything unexpected by setting such a large negative offset?
I don't like this behavior of not having EAP using the genuine speed limit, because
if the car in front of me change lane, suddenly EAP will accelerate to the speed sets and not the local speed limit.

Is there a way on the Model 3 to change the cruise control set speed, or the TACC following distance, without using the touch screen? I find that to use the screen I have to momentarily take my attention away from the road. On my Prius, I can increase or decrease my c/c speed by pressing up or down on the c/c stalk without taking my attention away from the road.

On the Model 3, the speed requires me to look away from the road so I can tap the + or -, and the TACC follow distance is buried under menus. These operations should be available on the stalks or the steering-wheel controls. Maybe they are and I don't know about it?
Maybe I’m misunderstanding your question but speed is adjusted by rolling the right scroll wheel up or down. Changing following distance is adjusted by clicking right hand scroll wheel to the left or right. Briefly you’ll see an image on the tablet letting you know what the new setting is (1,2,3,4, or 5 sec)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
don't like this behavior of not having EAP using the genuine speed limit, because
if the car in front of me change lane, suddenly EAP will accelerate to the speed sets and not the local speed limit.
That would only be the case if you've set your TACC speed faster than the local speed limit.

The negative offset work around I use above means that the default set speed will be the actual speed the car is moving at the time, as the default set speed algorithm is either the current speed or the speed shown in the speed limit sign+offset, whichever is larger. As I set my offset to negative 20 MPH, that means the as long as I'm moving faster than the speed limit sign minus 20 MPH, when I enable TACC, the set speed will be my current speed. In other words, it now behaves like all other cruise control systems I'm aware of--get the car moving the speed you want, enable cruise to maintain that speed.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your question but speed is adjusted by rolling the right scroll wheel up or down.

Changing following distance is adjusted by clicking right hand scroll wheel to the left or right.

Briefly you’ll see an image on the tablet letting you know what the new setting is (1,2,3,4, or 5 sec)

I was thinking that the setting was 1,2,3,4,5 car's length?

The setting 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you.
Extract from the manual:
Adjust your following distance
To adjust the following distance you want to maintain between your Model 3 and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, press the right scroll button to the left or right to choose a setting from 1 (the closest following distance) to 7 (the longest following distance).

Anther workaround to set the cruise at the current speed works if autosteer will activate on the road. Double press the gear stalk to activate TACC and autosteer, which set the cruise to higher than your desired speed. However, if you immediately wiggle the steering wheel to deactivate autosteer, the cruise will be set to your current speed, avoiding a rapid acceleration to an undesired speed.

I don’t know exactly where, but one of the recent updates sets your desired speed to the current speed when you deactivate autosteer with the steering wheel. I suspect that was done to avoid lurching forward if you deactivate autosteer to avoid something or rapidly shift lanes.

Contrary to the -20 mph workaround, this one lets you determine on a case by case basis if you want the TACC set to your current speed or to the database’s speed limit +/- offset.