Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Controlling Tesla with a Mac

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks - I've recently started using an app called Valet for Mac which allows you to control most features in your Tesla directly from a Mac toolbar.

I'm in the process of writing a review but wondered if anyone else had experience of this and what you might use it for?

It's very much a case of 1st world problems...but I've already found that if I'm working on my computer it's generally quicker to fire off one of these commands than it is to find/unlock my phone, open the phone app etc etc. Scheduling is pretty good as well - more flexible than the Tesla phone app.
Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 09.06.07.png

Last edited:
I've not used that but agree that this type of thing can be quicker than the app. I use a URL based service which can be included in apple shortcuts, web page links in any operating system, anything you want really including automated scripts and timers. You trade the pretty UI for a lot of flexibility so horses for courses but from the screen shot the MAC app looks pretty comprehensive.

Does it keep the car awake? I'm wary of apps that have the ability to control the car. They potentially have the ability to stop the car from sleeping.
Answering my own question here, but the default is to wake the car every 10 minutes. Goodbye battery. There is an option in the setting to change this to never. I'll try that and see how useful the app is.

A wee update.

Setting the wake car to never, does allow the car to sleep. The %SOC on the menu bar obviously doesn't update. However if you click on the toolbar ion, then it does waken the car - to update the screen I suppose. So no worse than the Tesla app, but I'd hoped you could for example check some of the settings without waking the car.

Yep, I was hoping the sentry viewer was smarter than just plugging in the key and then acting as a media manager. Hey
It's in the App store

Looks as though it requires a subscription payment after the 7 day free demo?
Yep, think it’s £5 for a year or £25 for lifetime access. Not too bad really if it’s of use. I’m still playing with it.

They all are*

*except those you compile and run yourself.

It depends.

Those hosted by third party are taken on the honesty of the third party and their ability for them, or their hosting company to protect your credentials.

Those that you compile and run yourself may have less risk from the honesty of the third party, but the risk from how you host and how you protect your credentials are still there.

I would like to think that the honesty of the third party will be mostly mitigated, at least for those with a large following, as there will be a track record of the third party, or someone will have looked at the code and/or data it transfers for self compiled/hosted.

But for self hosting, its down to a potentially inexperienced user to maintain the security of their hosting solution. I would even argue that even for an experienced host, a reputable third party will have access to better resources and time to devote to the task than those with a home sourced solution. I've worked on self hosted solutions, but only because of access to a 24/7/365 security team.

The issue really boils down to how much of an attack vector each solution exposes and how likely are they to be targeted. Yes, a larger potential source of data may well attract more attention, but a reputable organisation will more likely promptly notify their users if they detected any form of security breach - at which point users can revoke their tokens. But an individual is not immune to attacks, although they may not be specifically targeted. Security probes are constantly occurring, and whilst they may not be specifically targeted at your cars account etc, any compromise may well go unnoticed and the details ending up where they become 'fair game' for certain communities all the while that the car account owner is blissfully aware that their details are now out there.