Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Controls" menu from app partially inop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed recently that several functions from the "Controls" menu in the phone app aren't working:
  • Front (frunk) -- no response (but the app appears to take the input, including the "are you sure?" message)
  • Trunk -- no response (but the app appears to take the input)
  • Start -- the weirdest one: the app takes the input, gives the "are you sure?" message, and starts the 2:00 timer; meanwhile, the car shows the timer with the "started by app" message... but the car ignores any attempts to turn it "on" (shift out of park)--instead, it gives the "key not in vehicle" error. After 2:00 minutes, the timer expires normally.
  • Honk -- normal (horn honks)
  • Flash -- normal (headlights flash)
  • HomeLink -- normal (garage opens/closes, "are you sure?" message appears)
  • Vent -- normal (windows open ~1" or so, "are you sure?" message appears)
  • Lock / Unlock:
    • Lock -- normal (doors lock, lights flash as if keyfob used)
    • Unlock -- no response (but the app takes the input & gives the "are you sure?" message)

Car is a 2020 MSLR+ running 2021.4.12; phone is an iPhone 8 running iOS 14.4.2; Tesla app is ver. 3.10.10. I've tested & used all of these functions in the past, all worked as expected.

EDIT: I should've mentioned, I've done multiple reboots of the phone & the car, no change....

Any ideas??

Try doing a power off reset. Instructions from the manual:

If your vehicle demonstrates unusual behavior or a nondescript alert is present, you can try power cycling the vehicle to potentially resolve the issue.

1. Shift into Park.
2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off.
3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
4. After two minutes have passed, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

Reactions: TFCooper3
Try doing a power off reset. Instructions from the manual:

If your vehicle demonstrates unusual behavior or a nondescript alert is present, you can try power cycling the vehicle to potentially resolve the issue.

1. Shift into Park.
2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off.
3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
4. After two minutes have passed, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

Already tried....

Verify that valet mode isn't enabled. Following that, put in a support ticket to Tesla through the app. This isn't going to be end user addressable.

Nope, not in valet mode. I had looked at that (was never on, I've never used it). Based on your post, I enabled & disable valet mode a couple of times--no change. Good idea, but not the solution this time. Thanks!

Will send in a ticket....

I've noticed recently that several functions from the "Controls" menu in the phone app aren't working:
  • Front (frunk) -- no response (but the app appears to take the input, including the "are you sure?" message)
  • Trunk -- no response (but the app appears to take the input)
  • Start -- the weirdest one: the app takes the input, gives the "are you sure?" message, and starts the 2:00 timer; meanwhile, the car shows the timer with the "started by app" message... but the car ignores any attempts to turn it "on" (shift out of park)--instead, it gives the "key not in vehicle" error. After 2:00 minutes, the timer expires normally.
  • Honk -- normal (horn honks)
  • Flash -- normal (headlights flash)
  • HomeLink -- normal (garage opens/closes, "are you sure?" message appears)
  • Vent -- normal (windows open ~1" or so, "are you sure?" message appears)
  • Lock / Unlock:
    • Lock -- normal (doors lock, lights flash as if keyfob used)
    • Unlock -- no response (but the app takes the input & gives the "are you sure?" message)

Car is a 2020 MSLR+ running 2021.4.12; phone is an iPhone 8 running iOS 14.4.2; Tesla app is ver. 3.10.10. I've tested & used all of these functions in the past, all worked as expected.
Interesting, I have exactly the same problem as you, including which features work and don't work. Did you ever get this resolved?
I also have a 2020 LR Model S, now running 2021.4.18.2; iPhone 8; Tesla App 3.10.14

This is caused by the car MCU missing security certificates.

If you had an MCU2 upgrade done, they probably forgot to install them. My MCU also factory reset itself a few months ago after failing to boot multiple times and seems to have wiped out the security certificates during that process. Service was able to remotely re-install my certificates and get the full app functionality back.

If you had an MCU2 upgrade done, they probably forgot to install them. My MCU also factory reset itself a few months ago after failing to boot multiple times and seems to have wiped out the security certificates during that process. Service was able to remotely re-install my certificates and get the full app functionality back.
Thanks for this. I got the car new in Dec 2019, and never had any MCU upgrade done. I emailed Dedham Service and await their reply.

Excellent info, thank you!

No upgrade to the MCU, I have a 2020. However, I did have the car go into full reboot mode with the bad update that got pushed a while back. I don't recall the sequence of events to know which came first--but, that certainly sounds plausible that the certificates got trashed in the process....

Just a follow-up from my own issue, in case anyone is just reading this. I finally convinced the local shop to try the remote reset--apparently it has to go to a "higher level," the front-line techs don't have access to this particular item??

In any case, yesterday they performed a remote "security key reset"--and all functions on my app are now working! Same experience that @TFCooper3 & @BPeter had--thanks again for the pointers!