Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Controls on steering column not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The controls on my steering wheel arent working. I live over 250 miles away from the nearest Tesla dealership. When I contacted Tesla they said I need to bring the car in. When I asked about the Ranger service I was told that I would need to pay for the Ranger service. Really? This is a safety issue. I cant use the phone, tell the car to navigate increase or decrease the volume on the car etc. I paid $140k Cdn for the car. Cant honk the horn! Why do I need to pay more?
I cant soft reboot because those buttons don't work.
When I escalated the issue Tesla finally offered to drop off a loaner and deal with the issue? My service adviser is an amazing man who immediately answers my questions but given the distance, his hands are tied by policy.
Has anyone had a similar problem with the steering column failure? I always thought that during the warranty period the Ranger service was free (included in the pricing of the vehicle). Am I wrong?
Your comments and help tips are appreciated.

Has anyone had this issue resolved yet? I have recently developed this on a June 2017 Model X. I am not getting much help from the roving service so I have escalated the issue and in spite of hearing all involved are working on it I have had no results or even discussion about how it will be fixed.

I just had same issue. I had to have it towed to Tesla repair. No word yet on issue. Sucks because it is just out of warranty by a couple months.
It did happen once before, a few weeks ago (still post warranty), but came back after car cycles off/on. This time no luck with that.

Mine just failed for the 4th time. Its $400 to replace the controls i have read elsewhere that it is a sign of impending MCU 1 failure but I now have MCU 2 and it still fails. I bought a steering wheel contorl set from Ebay and will install myself there is a youtube video, pretty simple