Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conundrum: Ontario's Electric vehicle charging incentive program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Ministry is providing up to $1,000 in rebates to install a charger in your home. This is great for so many reasons, and the process of filling out the forms seems simple enough. Kudos Canada.

The catch is you actually have to have already purchased an EV to apply for the Charging Incentive program.

I would like to setup my garage, call an electrician, install the HPWC, and have everything ready when my Model 3 arrives(eventually). Yes that is still two years into the future but irrelevant.

What if someone was buying a Model S? How would they charge their EV if nothing was installed in their garage yet? Does it make sense to purchase & install the charger before the purchase of the vehicle? Sure they could plug into a regular outlet but that's not a good option while waiting for a proper charging outlet or HPWC.

Weigh in on your thoughts. Shouldn't we be able to buy and install the charger first(and receive the rebate) before the actual purchase of the EV? How does it make sense that we need to buy the vehicle first before we can apply for the Charging rebate?

Ministry website: Electric vehicle charging incentive program

I would like to setup my garage, call an electrician, install the HPWC, and have everything ready when my Model 3 arrives(eventually). Yes that is still two years into the future but irrelevant.
Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but this seems a little premature. It would make no sense to have a HPWC installed so early -- Tesla could release an enhanced version within 2 years, and your warranty would be up before you got the chance to use it. And it would tie up your capital in the mean time as well.
You need to apply within six months from the date you bought your charging station.
This makes the solution seem obvious to me: get your HPWC installed in the month leading up to your delivery, but not any sooner. Submit all your rebate claims after both the HPWC install and car purchase are complete.

Reactions: swrving and Jaff
Do what I did. I prepared for our Tesla by researching the electrical work that would be required, and then doing about half of it myself, from purchase of the garage subpanel, running the wire, buying the breakers, etc. The electrician did the rest, wiring the panel and plugs.

There's lots of stories on this forum that outline all of this, I've read many of them and it helps pass the time before you buy your Tesla.

Do what I did. I prepared for our Tesla by researching the electrical work that would be required, and then doing about half of it myself, from purchase of the garage subpanel, running the wire, buying the breakers, etc. The electrician did the rest, wiring the panel and plugs.

There's lots of stories on this forum that outline all of this, I've read many of them and it helps pass the time before you buy your Tesla.
Thanks. I might just curb some of my enthusiasm with learning how to wire the HPWC.

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
I had similar enthusiasm as you but didn't install right away at the advice of Tesla. Glad I didn't because the price of the charger came doe $200 in that time AND a newer and better version came out. My installation happened yesterday and my model X was supposed to arrive last weekend. Sadly it hasn't yet but I'm now good to go. Also, to make life easier, buy from a Canadian Tesla Store. The incentive needs a Canadian retailer and Tesla online doesn't count.

I had similar enthusiasm as you but didn't install right away at the advice of Tesla. Glad I didn't because the price of the charger came doe $200 in that time AND a newer and better version came out. My installation happened yesterday and my model X was supposed to arrive last weekend. Sadly it hasn't yet but I'm now good to go. Also, to make life easier, buy from a Canadian Tesla Store. The incentive needs a Canadian retailer and Tesla online doesn't count.

Good to know about the online thing. Thanks