Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conundrum! Take delivery of a new Model X to sell in 6 months?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! Happy owner here with a Model 3P and a 2018 Model X.

I placed a reservation for a new Model X almost 2 years ago right before the model update. The new Model X is finally almost ready. Because of my early reservation, I can purchase the new Model X at about $15K under MSRP. However, due to another incoming vehicle, I believe I would sell / trade-in this 2022 Model X in about 6 months.

Does it make sense to go ahead and take delivery and purchase the new Model X?
Will the market to sell a 2022 Model X be strong in 6 months?
Will the depreciation be less than the $15K discount I have, after considering the $12K in taxes+fees to purchase now?

Please tell me what you would do?

I placed a reservation for a new Model X almost 2 years ago right before the model update. The new Model X is finally almost ready. Because of my early reservation, I can purchase the new Model X at about $15K under MSRP. However, due to another incoming vehicle, I believe I would sell / trade-in this 2022 Model X in about 6 months.

Will the depreciation be less than the $15K discount I have, after considering the $12K in taxes+fees to purchase now?
If you placed an order for an X nearly two years ago, it is more like $35,000 less than current price.

I certainly agree that it should be. However, my original $80k reservation got reset at $105k. Not cool imho.
If anyone has had a different experience please let me know.
$105k is far from the current price. The base price of the Model X today is $112.590, with no options or colors. When I ordered (June 2021) the base price was $89,990.

How did it get "rest" in the first place?

If you don't take delivery, you lose $250. If you take it and sell it in 6 months, you may potentially lose more than $250. I say that because even though you have some buffer from the lower price, I don't know... seems like the pricing of used X are starting to "return to normal"... meaning you aren't going to make money on it anymore.

How did it get "rest" in the first place?

If you don't take delivery, you lose $250. If you take it and sell it in 6 months, you may potentially lose more than $250. I say that because even though you have some buffer from the lower price, I don't know... seems like the pricing of used X are starting to "return to normal"... meaning you aren't going to make money on it anymore.
Thanks, appreciate the perspective.

My reservation was made January 2021 for the previous model Model X. I heard nothing after the refresh that occurred, my order agreement still stated $80K base price. I heard nothing from Tesla until December 2021 when I received an email saying 'update your order to the new Model X model, or we'll cancel it'. I updated it at that time which then set the base price at $105K. That's the story.

Used X prices seem to be dropping back to earth. A 6 month wait to sell it seems risky at this point. Other threads (Nov 8th ish) show lots of LOW MILEAGE 22s for 18k less than new for plaids. If that happens to LR, there goes your profit. Plus you pay tax on original purchase. Personally, with rates going up and demand destruction Fed it trying, I wouldn't risk flipping a $105k X in 6 months, as may Loose money.

Used X prices seem to be dropping back to earth. A 6 month wait to sell it seems risky at this point. Other threads (Nov 8th ish) show lots of LOW MILEAGE 22s for 18k less than new for plaids. If that happens to LR, there goes your profit. Plus you pay tax on original purchase. Personally, with rates going up and demand destruction Fed it trying, I wouldn't risk flipping a $105k X in 6 months, as may Loose money.

100% agree. You may end up losing money.

Way too confusing.... 😳
Keep it simple