Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convenient cockpit cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park my fantastic new Tesla #1291 at my office, outdoors. Now that the weather has turned nicer in New England I want to leave the top off, but cover the cockpit to keep it clean and cool all day.

My home garage is a 200 year old barn - it is rodent free mostly, but I would be happier covering the cockpit at night also.

Are there any suggestions on a simple and fast way to cover the cockpit reliably? Needs to be white, fold up small to minimize use of our tiny trunk space.

I see a showercap as a nice addition to storing a Roadster with a Mesh top.

If Shinoo at Sector 111 says it won't fit I would believe him*. Early on I took my car to his place (120 miles away) and we tested what Lotus bits would an would not work with the Roadster. We did not try a showercap back then but I'm sure he has a nearby Roadster source by now.

*Those with mad sewing skills excluded.

I like the sheet idea for indoor storage.... outdoors in New England it might get blown away. Putting a sheet over a $150k hi-tech sports has a cool non-chalance to it though. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know what i come up with. Probably an adaptation of the showercap.

Shower Cap has arrived - no modification needed for Roadster

P6243355_resize.JPG
P6243358_resize.JPG
P6243359_resize.JPG
P6243357_resize.JPG
P6243356_resize.JPG

My Elemental Shower cap arrived today from Sector 111. I was please that it fits my Tesla so well. The cover is supplied with velcro (I hate that stuff) pads to attach behind the roll bar with adhesive. No way on earth am I applying that to my car. Besides, the tabs are too long to fit well under the Tesla rollbar, but I found that if I used a few binder clips to clamp the end seam to the vertical edge of the carbon fiber bar I had sufficient strength to support rain. Only attach the clips to areas of the shower cap that can be folded over under the bottom edge of the rollbar. See the photos. I would think that if I was worried about a small shower I would put the struts in to give additional support. On a sunny day I would not bother with the struts for convenince. eeded.

In the photo I tested the shower cap over the soft cover. I am ordering a Taylor Mesh Screen Top and I think the combination of the 2 will be fantastic - cool sunscreened open top while drivng and a shade cover over that while parked. The shower cap protects the privacy of your car interior from browsers (and face it, with the tesla you get alot of gawkers).

If you have any better ideas let me know!

Attachments

• P6243357.JPG
    P6243357.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 234
  • P6243359.JPG
    P6243359.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 206
  • P6243358.JPG
    P6243358.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 193
  • P6243355.JPG
    P6243355.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 185
  • P6243356.JPG
    P6243356.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
Pretty cool. I may need to get one too.

About the Velcro. You can reach up under the Carbon Fiber rollbar cover to feel the actual rollbar. You can see it if you crane your head over the trunk and look up under the cover.
Would it be not so bad to attach Velcro to that unseen bar? Or does the showercap attach in a different way?

How long does it take to fit it on? I have my roof down to about 30 seconds now....

I was thinking about the same thing:
Looks like more work than taking the top off/on and something else to store in the car. I guess if you had little enough rain to not worry much about having to drive in the rain, maybe it would be useful if you wanted to leave the top at home and then have more storage space.

How long does it take to fit it on? I have my roof down to about 30 seconds now....
I got the impression that the goal was to avoid heating the interior as the black roof would absorb solar energy. If soft tops were available in lighter colors, then that might be a great all-around solution.

My initial reaction was to suggest buying an Arctic White hardtop, or the appropriate light color that is coordinated with your body color, but I also get the impression that this thread is for folks who really like having an open top. I'm perfectly happy with my hardtop and haven't even removed it yet.

I got the impression that the goal was to avoid heating the interior as the black roof would absorb solar energy. If soft tops were available in lighter colors, then that might be a great all-around solution.

I'm skeptical on that one. The standard soft top is much thicker than the shower cap and would therefore provide better insulation, no?

P.S. As someone who lives in a hot climate, I drive with the top off most of the time and it's the most fun you can have outdoors. The only downside (if you can call it that) is the number of people who admire and ask questions at stop lights.

It took me months before I took off the hardtop. Now I drive convertible at the drop of a hat; it's really very nice. Do yourself a favor and try taking it off.
Thanks for the suggestion - seriously - but I own three convertibles. I know exactly what I am missing: Seattle rain! I literally put the top right back up in my S-2000 nearly every time I put it down on a whim. Usually rolling the windows down is all that works for me, which can be done without coming to a stop.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical on that one. The standard soft top is much thicker than the shower cap and would therefore provide better insulation, no?
Insulation only helps when the outside air temperature is the only heating factor. Dark colors allow solar heating in excess of the outside air temperature, and in those conditions insulation would have no benefit. I'm assuming that the shower cap is light-colored as depicted in the photos. Keep in mind that there are Tesla Roadsters all over the world, from chilly northern latitudes where solar heating would be welcome to other extremes and everything in between.

I am ordering a Taylor Mesh Screen Top and I think the combination of the 2 will be fantastic - cool sunscreened open top while drivng and a shade cover over that while parked.

Interested how that works out, particularly the rear near the top of the windows. There is a gap between the top of the window and the start of the mesh top. So long as the shower cap comes down below the top of the windows you should be ok.

Rain aside, I think the Tesla convertible experience might be slightly different, due to the quiet drive train.

I've had nothing but roadsters for the last 21 years and I drive with the top down/off pretty much any time the weather allows, and to me the Tesla Roadster convertible experience isn't significantly different noise wise since wind noise dominates at pretty much any reasonable speed. One plus for the Roadster that I didn't expect is the targa roof. I'd only owned drop top convertibles before and was worried that the rear roof and window would make it feel like less of a convertible, but I don't notice a difference there, but the low roof line gives a more open view forward (i.e., more open space and less windshield) which I like. The targa is more work than a drop top, but not as bad as I'd expected.

I think the Ferrari 575M Superamerica has the coolest top:

Last edited by a moderator: