Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conventional cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting for an AWD with no EAP, and it just occurred to me that I have no idea if the car is going to have a non-enhanced cruise control function. It's hard to imagine that it wouldn't, but I haven't heard anything about it.
Regular old cruise control.

Set and hold speed. Regardless of target in front of it.

I’ve ordered same for my wife. I like EAP in mine, but she’s not a fan.

I'm waiting for an AWD with no EAP, and it just occurred to me that I have no idea if the car is going to have a non-enhanced cruise control function. It's hard to imagine that it wouldn't, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Did you take the time to read the descriptions when you ordered the car. It was a very bright green sidebar that described the Autopilot features that come standard with the car.

It looks like Tesla has a Speed Assist for those who did not buy EAP, but not even adaptive cruise control, while most modern car have it. I do not need EAP, so I did not buy it, but I think to have an adaptive cruise control should be a must for $55K car.
You are welcome to your opinion, but on all Teslas (S/X/3) if you don’t buy EAP you do not get adaptive cruise control, you get the standard type. Many cars in the Model 3 price class do not come standard with adaptive cruise control.

I appreciate that EAP is expensive. But once you have tried using TACC and realize how truly excellent it is (in my opinion) you will want it. Which means buying EAP.

I look back on my many years driving with traditional cruise controls and marvel at how relatively useless they were compared to TACC, which works extremely well.

Reactions: APotatoGod
FYI, you activate the regular cruise control by pulling down on the right stalk just like you would to put it in drive. When I was trying to figure this out, I didn't see anything in the manual and had to experiment. The manual may have been updated since then.

• Informative
Reactions: Spudford
[. . Traditional CC and marvel at how relatively useless they were compared to TACC] ecarfan

All that TradCC needs is a Hold Steady mode where it holds the accel pedal steady as you climb a hill. This allows the car to naturally slow down as the hill gets steeper and the driver would usually desire this as well. If the driver actually wants more power just press the pedal which is much easier than having to kill the CC completely when the car inevitably gets out of control. 'Holding the pedal steady' = 'locking power level to motor'; how hard is this to accomplish in software??
--

[. . Traditional CC and marvel at how relatively useless they were compared to TACC] ecarfan

All that TradCC needs is a Hold Steady mode where it holds the accel pedal steady as you climb a hill. This allows the car to naturally slow down as the hill gets steeper and the driver would usually desire this as well. If the driver actually wants more power just press the pedal which is much easier than having to kill the CC completely when the car inevitably gets out of control. 'Holding the pedal steady' = 'locking power level to motor'; how hard is this to accomplish in software??
--

Why would the driver want this? To emulate drive an 18 wheeler through the mountains?

• Funny
Serious mountain crossings as opposed to Interstates which Teslas can handle just fine. When the S curves get ever tighter you try to hang on but eventually have to bail. An option for Constant Power would give new meaning to EV Life.
--

You are welcome to your opinion, but on all Teslas (S/X/3) if you don’t buy EAP you do not get adaptive cruise control, you get the standard type. Many cars in the Model 3 price class do not come standard with adaptive cruise control.

I appreciate that EAP is expensive. But once you have tried using TACC and realize how truly excellent it is (in my opinion) you will want it. Which means buying EAP.

I look back on my many years driving with traditional cruise controls and marvel at how relatively useless they were compared to TACC, which works extremely well.
You see, I mostly drive in a city, doing about 1K miles a year. I just sold my Honda Accord V6 model 2007 with 10555 miles on it. Do I really need EAP? And anyway, I like to drive, not to be a passenger. My sister has Honda CRV, it has adaptive CC, probably not a standard, I am not sure, but cheaper than Tesla anyway.

--
As I know CC keeps speed constant, not an engine power. Both my previous cars had CC work that way. Uphill or downhill, they kept speed constant.

This allows the car to naturally slow down as the hill gets steeper and the driver would usually desire this as well.
There is nothing “natural” about vehicles slowing down when going up a hill. I have no desire for that to happen. ICE vehicles do it because in general they lack the necessary torque to maintain speed up a grade. Teslas do not have that limitations. I want my car to maintain speed going uphill.

Keep in mind constant power would be an option to constant speed. There once was a Ford reportedly that had the ~constant power CC option.

Constant power is so hard to compute and regulate??
--
It’s easy to calculate anything.

It’s hard to make a good interface that doesn’t confuse or complicate things.

How do you switch behavior?

How many support calls do you get because people are in the wrong mode and don’t understand?

How many bugs are introduced?

I personally see no business case for “constant power” cruise control mode.

Would be nice if TACC is broken up as a separate option
That request has been made occasionally on TMC over the years. I think it is unlikely Tesla will ever do that.

Oh, and while you are at it please take away those pesky auto rain wipers
You can turn that function off and return to the days of manual wiper control if that is your preference.

• Helpful
Reactions: pjoseph
Keep in mind constant power would be an option to constant speed. There once was a Ford reportedly that had the ~constant power CC option.

Constant power is so hard to compute and regulate??
--
It is easy to provide constant power having modern electronic controls, but it complete nonsense to do. In the case of constant power car will travel slow uphill and very fast downhill. Who need that? When people travel mostly they need constant speed but not a constant power.

Reactions: Runt8
It is very easy in software to split up the various features. And charge them a-la-carte prices. Bet Tesla would generate much more revenue that way.

My second comment was firmly tongue-in-cheek. Trying to automate every function (i know folks love rain wipers here) is just ridiculous. Even auto-steer (as good as the implementation is) takes off the joy of hugging the curves, ahem :)

That request has been made occasionally on TMC over the years. I think it is unlikely Tesla will ever do that.

You can turn that function off and return to the days of manual wiper control if that is your preference.