Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conversation with my dad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deonb and anorthic -
I absolutely share your frustrations concerning TSA and other so-called security checks, but -

I worry that hyperloop transport quickly will devolve toward that same time-wasting malarkey, at least here in the USofA. I see nothing in our society that suggests in the next decades we will become anything but more complacent towards...resigned towards...that farcical (to me) miscarriage of national insecurity.

Interesting thread. Instead of Moore's Law which specifically pertains to semiconductors and computing, Buckminster Fuller's knowledge doubling curve is more accurate:
Knowledge doubling

My family has done a lot of generation stretching on both sides. My mother's father's family is well documented going back to the 1680s when the first ancestor migrated to the Massachusetts's colony (and founded Springfield, MA). I was born in the 1960s, but my parents were born in the 1920s and all my grandparents were born in the 19th century. My father had an aunt who lived to 106, she was 90 the year I was born.

My parents heard a lot of stories from their parents and grandparents generations about how much life had changed in their lives. Cars were relatively common when my father was a kid, but horse drawn delivery vehicles were fairly common. My father remembers the selling point for cars was they were pollution free, ie no horse manure on the road. Around 1900 larger cities like New York had a serious horse manure problem. URBAN POLLUTION-Many long years ago - CARRIAGE HORSE History - Coalition for New York City Animals

Milwaukee, WI alone had to deal with 133 tons of manure a day.

Growing up in Los Angeles in the 1960s and 70s with the horrible smog caused by all the cars, the idea that cars were once sold as pollution free was an ironic joke.

My father was born in 1920 and I think his father had a Model T when he was small, but he said his father bought a 1929 Chevy and that was the first family car he really remembered well. It had a wood frame and canvas roof. My father was into airplanes from a young age when they were wooden frame things with doped canvas stretched over the frame. In the 1930s a revolution in aircraft began when Boeing introduced the 247 airliner, which was all aluminum and enclosed. Soon after Douglas stole their thunder with the DC-3 which became legendary.

The Museum of Flight in Seattle has a display showing how much planes changed from 1930 to 1935. It was an amazing change.

I sometimes think about the changes in my own life. There will be people voting in this year's presidential election who have never known a world without the internet. Rotary phones started going out of style when I was around 10, but there are people alive today who will never have a landline at all and will always have a phone number that is there's alone. Los Angeles had a lot of TV stations when I was a kid, about 12, but a couple hundred is a norm today and increasingly people are watching TV less and less, instead they are streaming over the internet.

When I was a kid, you could order things by mail, but you had to look up what you wanted in a paper catalog, fill out an order form, mail it in via snail mail. Then if you were lucky you got what you ordered in about 6 weeks. If you had a credit card (which weren't all that common), you could call on the phone and place an order. That would get you your stuff sooner.

My parents owned a business, so they had a number of long distance calls on the office line every month, but making a long distance call for non-business purposes was a big occasion, and expensive. Now we have free long distance with land lines and internet calling.

Anyway, I find this sort of thing fascinating...

The longevity of that part of my lineage also gives me only two degrees of separation removed not just from my rather famous namesake g-g-g-g-uncle, but getting back to transportation, another such uncle: Robert Fulton.
I read this and started singing the line (in my head) from the Schoolhouse Rock episode, Mother Necessity - "When Robert Fulton made the steamboat go, when Marconi gave us wireless radio" (I grew up watching them on Saturday morning cartoons in the '70's). That reminded me of an old story from my grandmother, that Marconi supposedly proposed to my great-grandmother, but she turned him down.

The world was already awesome, and now I'm typing this on a 7" touch-sensitive device that's a bit slow, yet far more powerful than the first PC I owned, let alone my first computer. In my pocket is a more powerful computer that I use to communicate by voice, communicate via text, play music (I have several thousand songs on a little thin square that's smaller than 1" square), look at TV listings, take pictures, play games, track my weight, wake me up, remind me of things, help do grocery shopping, get around unfamiliar cities, make notes, control a device I use to watch TV and videos of talks by interesting people from many different fields, and in a pinch to make white noise to help me sleep. It cost me a little over $100, plus about $10 for that little square I can store thousands of songs on. It's not considered a very good computer though.
I had the realization a few years ago that I was carrying around a computer in my pocket with more processing power than the entire computer center while I was in college (late 80's), and possibly more than the entire campus, including the Macs in many student dorm rooms (we were the first class required to purchase a computer, since the student loan rules had changed and you couldn't use a student loan to finance a computer unless it was required, not just recommended).

What a great time to be alive! :)
As long as we don't live to see the Terminators crush us like bugs! :eek: (only 1/2 joking)

Reactions: doublejj
I had the realization a few years ago that I was carrying around a computer in my pocket with more processing power than the entire computer center while I was in college (late 80's), and possibly more than the entire campus, including the Macs in many student dorm rooms (we were the first class required to purchase a computer, since the student loan rules had changed and you couldn't use a student loan to finance a computer unless it was required, not just recommended).

When I graduated from a small southern college in 1993 it was a tradition to take up a collection from the graduates to give something back to the college. I was told they were "bringing the internet" to the school. I had no idea what that was, and was skeptical when they explained what it was, so I didn't give (that and I was both broke and had student loan debt). Now I can't imagine how anything every got done before the internet.

Some years later I watched a science report on some news channel and a tech writer stated that in a few years you'd be able to carry around all the music you owned in the palm of your hand. I had several hundred CD's at the time and again I was very skeptical. "No way, that's science fiction!" A few years later the first iPod came out. In retrospect is seemed so obvious, but I'd always had to manually change out a tape of disc one at a time, so I just assumed that's the way it's always going to be.

I'm continually amazed with the progress of technology in my brief lifespan. I suppose people get stuck in one way of thinking about things, so when some eccentric visionary says he's going to spur the mass adoption of electric cars it has to sound pretty unbelievable since it is totally different from anything we've ever previously known.