Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conversion Tesla Adapter to Mennekes socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently contacted Tesla in Germany thinking that we could get access to the cables seen with RWE. I was told that RWE made the cables and I should contact them or the UK-based supplier of EVSE that has Mennekes sockets on it.

I replied "sure, will you make the plugs available to them to make the cables?" and have yet to receive a response. Let's see.

I'd wager that nearly every one of Tesla's European customers will have a need for this cable in the not too distant future.

To conclude this for now:

From the rumours I've read the Tesla<>J1772 adapter should be out this April or in May (there were some logistical problems?). Since Mennekes<>J1772 cables are available (see the video above) it won't be a problem to connect a Roadster.

No need for special cables, just wait for Tesla to release their converter and we're done.

The remaining questions are:
* To how many A's is the Tesla converter rated
* To how many A's is the Mennekes<>J1772 cable rated

Got a reply from his iPhone, short message stating that they are expecting a price around EUR 500,00 and the cable is certified for 16A max... When the Tesla<>J1772 converter is out I'll contact EV-Box and ask what they can deliver.

... Hell, they might even make a Mennekes<>J1772 cable for me :) ...

you can have it from here:

Walther-Werke Ferdinand Walther GmbH: Mode 3

DSC2451_2_120x90.jpg

... Made in Germany ...

charging cable Mode 3,
No. 771 11 50 20 16 A single phase 5 m 3 x 2,5 + 0,5
No. 773 11 50 20 32 A single phase 5 m 5 x 6 + 0,5

Last edited: