Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conversion Tesla Adapter to Mennekes socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, but will the Roadster support the protocol to permit charging at 32A?

web.jpg

We had a open house yesterday at our datacenter, we had a few Tesla's (including our own) driving around to give customers a ride in a Tesla as well.

EV-Box also dropped by, this is how they charged ;) Their cable is working fine!

Attachments

• evbox-mennekes-to-tesla.jpg
    evbox-mennekes-to-tesla.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 368
I'm curious how you can possibly solve the 3-phase to single-phase problem when making a Mennekes to Tesla connector? Or M to J1772? I'd like to help you find a solution but correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think your biggest problem is getting a supply of Tesla connectors. Even if you had a cheap source for those, how would you use the 3-ph power coming out of the Mennekes plug? It would be relatively easy to modify the PEM to accept 3-ph but Tesla pretty much has to do it. By contrast it would be quite difficult to convert 3-ph to single. Am I missing something?

No you've pretty much summarised it.

If we could get one phase from the plug it would be better than nothing. To use all three phases in balance would require a rectifier-inverter (or a rotary converter but let's not go there).
Why not go there? I'm generating the power to charge my Roadster by spinning a 3-phase motor. By experimenting with multiple capacitors I was able to convert it to single phase. It's only about 85% efficient but relatively cheap. OK, I confess it's not very portable!

To use only one phase from the plug, how many amps would that be? It sounds to me like it's a simple case of wiring a Mennekes plug to a Tesla connector. No? You don't even need to generate the pilot signal - you can just pass it through directly from the M connector. Have you already tried this? Is that what EV Box did?

Yeah I was thinking about the portability angle. How easily would a 16kW unit fit in the trunk?

If you were able to take 32A from one of these posts then it would be 7kW. Not great but not bad either. The spec allows for 70A on one phase but no one has implemented it yet that I am aware of.

We haven't tried it as getting the Tesla connector is a pain, but I think that is what EV Box have done (by butchering a cheap cable).

Yeah I was thinking about the portability angle. How easily would a 16kW unit fit in the trunk?
It's hard to know how big a rotary system of that capacity would be. The converter is theoretically not consuming much power.
If you were able to take 32A from one of these posts then it would be 7kW. Not great but not bad either. The spec allows for 70A on one phase but no one has implemented it yet that I am aware of.

We haven't tried it as getting the Tesla connector is a pain, but I think that is what EV Box have done (by butchering a cheap cable).
Yes a pain - pay $600 for a spare mobile adapter; drill and tap the end piece for a larger strain relief; drill out the spacers in the crimp sleeves to accommodate heavier gauge wire. Do you have a reasonable source for the M plug? Yes a pain but at least then you can travel.

How many could you sell if these were priced at about $750 (using only one phase)?

We had a discussion about a group buy. I think $750 would be acceptable.
You didn't really answer my question. Would 100 people buy them at 600 EUR? or 10? They would be 70A capable.

I saw the group buy thread but it basically ended without a group buy. There was a lot of complaining (legitimate) about their price and functionality. And of course up-thread somebody claims they are having one made in China but he seems to have disappeared.

Yes, I certainly want to buy one, too. On the other hand, I'd actually rather prefer to change the proprietary socket in the car to a Mennekes socket. This way I could get rid of any proprietary cabling at all. Has anybody thought about this yet?

I guess aside from potential technical issues voiding the guarantee is probably the biggest issue.