Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conversion Tesla Adapter to Mennekes socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure there is a lot of demand for the connector - I'd go ahead and get something out though because I think you are a few weeks at most ahead of the competition.

The "regulation" Doug refers to is in IEC 61851. It states that no adapter should be used on the car side of the EVSE, unless specifically offered for the purpose by the manufacturer of the car or EVSE. It's a standard though - as far as I am aware it's not incorporated into any electrical code.

I also think you might find a market for a reasonably price adapter that can turn the Tesla connector back to J1772 (to plug into J1772 cars).

...I also think you might find a market for a reasonably price adapter that can turn the Tesla connector back to J1772 (to plug into J1772 cars).

Yeah, I keep mentioning that idea, like here:
What charge port connector?
It would be good, for instance, if new EVs with high current J1772 could use the HPCs you have been getting installed around the UK.
Do you have any plans to ever change those to J1772 native, or always leave them with Tesla plug?

Yeah, I keep mentioning that idea, like here:
What charge port connector?
It would be good, for instance, if new EVs with high current J1772 could use the HPCs you have been getting installed around the UK.
Do you have any plans to ever change those to J1772 native, or always leave them with Tesla plug?
Are you kidding? Do you think I want to share those Roadster-only HPCs with Model S'????:tongue:
Joking aside, I've thought about this already because we might get a Model S when our number comes up. I've already got lots of handy Roadster charge ports scattered about, and we'll naturally want to use them with the new family member when it comes. Personally I think the double cord solution is better. If I plug both cars in at once, I can program my dual-HPC to first charge one car, and when it's done, charge the other. It will keep both cars warm in the winter too. I'll probably make that adapter none the less.

I'm sure there is a lot of demand for the connector - I'd go ahead and get something out though because I think you are a few weeks at most ahead of the competition.

The "regulation" Doug refers to is in IEC 61851. It states that no adapter should be used on the car side of the EVSE, unless specifically offered for the purpose by the manufacturer of the car or EVSE. It's a standard though - as far as I am aware it's not incorporated into any electrical code.

I also think you might find a market for a reasonably price adapter that can turn the Tesla connector back to J1772 (to plug into J1772 cars).

I looked into this as well as how it all relates to CE conformity. Apparently the prime motivation for the no-adapter-on-the-EV side came before the IEC 62196 pilot signal standards were released. If you had an EVSE with a pilot indicating 64A capability and an adapter that was only capable of 32A but passed the pilot straight through, your adapter might get too hot. The EV would never know to limit the current.

Currently the maximum amperage recognized by the 62196 standard plug/socket is 64A. If you want more then you theoretically have to go to a different socket and my adapter wouldn't fit. Could that possibly change in the future? If somebody used my adapter with 90A and started a fire would I be held liable in litigation because I knowingly violated the 61851 standard? It does not appear to be an issue with CE which is fairly lenient.

On a side note I've been looking at samples for J-1772 products. Some of them are poor quality and it's hard to believe they can safely and reliably handle 75A on a regular basis. The components I'm using are all good quality and generally designed for higher duty than they will ever be used.

I think your adapter idea is great since as you point out it takes much less room and less weight added in the very small luggage compartment. also I like the idea that the signal is carried through so there is no messing about with faking a signal in-between.

I would want to buy both M and J adapters so I am covered for all eventualities.

and I am also sure that if you make them you would sell every single on of them

On a side note I've been looking at samples for J-1772 products. Some of them are poor quality and it's hard to believe they can safely and reliably handle 75A on a regular basis...
Were they supposedly rated for 75A? Most on the market right now seem only rated for 30A.
I have heard tales of J1772s coming from China that are of low quality, even for the max 30A application, so yeah, need to survey the marketplace and find something acceptable for your needs.

I just wanted to give this another update.

We've been using this cable now for some time:

20110507_009.jpg

And during a official opening of a charging station here

GEM_3385.JPG

How did we make this cable?

1. Get a Type 2 (IEC 62192-2-2) 4m with open end from Mennekes
2. Get a Spare Mobile Connector from Tesla
3. Put the Tesla connector on the end of the Type 2 cable

EV-Box did this for us. It's not cheap, but this way you have a working solution without any extra connector. The cable locks in the charging station, so your cable can't be stolen :)

Works with 16A and 32A out of the box, it will only draw as much as the charging station allows.

I'm also happy to report that hcsharp and I are working on a 63A "mennekes" to Roadster cable that ZCW will inventory and sell in Europe. We are expecting these to complete CE approvals and be available for customers early in the new year. Like all ZCW products my intension is to sell these with a small amount of profit that is used to fund the next phase of our Charging Station donation programme.

If you are interested in purchasing a cable then please send me a PM or post in this thread.