Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convert 110 to 220 for faster mobile charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plus it really seems like a step backwards - 4800W is ~16000 BTU/hr. Even the smallest propane king cooker/jet burner style outdoor cooker/turkey fryer is at least double that. And with the CA electric rates I've heard of, it can't be cheap to use electricity instead of propane. "To each his own", I guess.

Electricity is free and if it wasn't the amount I use is about $3 per brewday and 5 gal gas is $20 and gets me 3.5 brews, so it would be cheaper for electric anyway, but that's not the point. My old propane system was 100k BTUs and my new system is 10k BTUs.
However the speed of boil is only about 10 min slower but it allows consistent temps for the mash rather than fluxing that comes from gas. And that was the main selling point I wanted consistency in my brews, and I couldn't get that with a basic propane burner, which would also scorch my mash occasionally and that's like the worst thing ever.

Reactions: ucmndd and Big Earl
My mind was thinking "brewing" as coffee, so I was wondering why you were talking about "mash", like mashed potatoes.

I am really not a beer guy, apparently. So I was thinking this was about a countertop hot water kettle like Europeans are shocked that Americans don't use.

Plus it really seems like a step backwards - 4800W is ~16000 BTU/hr. Even the smallest propane king cooker/jet burner style outdoor cooker/turkey fryer is at least double that. And with the CA electric rates I've heard of, it can't be cheap to use electricity instead of propane. "To each his own", I guess.
Electric heating in brewing applications is more about fine temperature control and consistency than massive BTUs.

EDIT: whoops, guess I should have read the comments
on the next page that already covered this. ;)

Electricity is free and if it wasn't the amount I use is about $3 per brewday and 5 gal gas is $20 and gets me 3.5 brews, so it would be cheaper for electric anyway, but that's not the point. My old propane system was 100k BTUs and my new system is 10k BTUs.
However the speed of boil is only about 10 min slower but it allows consistent temps for the mash rather than fluxing that comes from gas. And that was the main selling point I wanted consistency in my brews, and I couldn't get that with a basic propane burner, which would also scorch my mash occasionally and that's like the worst thing ever.
I hadn't considered free electricity (you mentioned renting, that makes sense) or the finer control. Do you have more info on your setup (in case I ever graduate from extract brewing)?

I hadn't considered free electricity (you mentioned renting, that makes sense) or the finer control. Do you have more info on your setup (in case I ever graduate from extract brewing)?

Here is the one I bought, I liked the mash container it has that allows more passthrough of water than others offered. It also has a nice top mounted temp controller, (that update came out like 3 months after i got mine). Also if you get this one i'd recommend no pump and getting a different pump that has more power, that way you can whirlpool at the end of your boil while chilling. Because the one it comes with will work fine and dandy for recirculating the mash it doesn't have enough power to whirlpool and will get clogged up easily with hops that work their way into it.

Anvil Foundry™ Brewing System - 10.5 gal. | MoreBeer

Reactions: tga
Here is the one I bought, I liked the mash container it has that allows more passthrough of water than others offered. It also has a nice top mounted temp controller, (that update came out like 3 months after i got mine). Also if you get this one i'd recommend no pump and getting a different pump that has more power, that way you can whirlpool at the end of your boil while chilling. Because the one it comes with will work fine and dandy for recirculating the mash it doesn't have enough power to whirlpool and will get clogged up easily with hops that work their way into it.

Anvil Foundry™ Brewing System - 10.5 gal. | MoreBeer
Very cool, thanks