Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convert MC240 to J1772?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how easy it would be to remove the roadster cord and attach a J1772 cord to the MC240? Is it just a matter of opening it up and swapping the cable? I'd like to plug it into the NEMA 14-50 outlet at work and charge either my Leaf, Roadster, or co-worker's Volt. When not in use it would hang on a hook inside a locked door. The company I work for won't let us install a [semi-]permanent charger, even though it would just mean a few screws in the wall.

Other questions:
* Is it suitable to charge in adverse weather? Would I need to seal the box around the new J1772 cord?
* What amp rating would be best for the J1772 cord at 25' long?

Thanks!

That's not a bad idea. Does anyone have a good source for the part?

Is it that you no longer need the Roadster cable end or that you just want to convert it to a J1772 for convenience? Let me know or PM me what you want to do. Yes, the cable can be pulled out and a new one ran. I also have a MC240, love it since its a tank and built just like the JuiceBox since its fully serviceable. Actually I feel the Juicebox is better, fireproof box, higher amps but same footprint.

With that, I frayed my MC240 Roadster cable and had to chop it off at the end, the cable clamp came loose inside, tried to fix but that didn't work for the tools I had. I was thinking of converting it as a J1772 as well, was going to either pick up just the handle and do the connection. Issue is that the Roadster cable is so FAT that there really isn't a J1772 handle that I've found to accommodate. The other end is to purchase a J1772 handle with cable. I'd also swap out the standard 14-50 input line for cosmetics, although you really don't need to.

Anyways, let me know if you're Roadster end is still good and willing to part with it. I'd like to preserve my MC240 if I can. We could do a swap / trade if interested.

If not, that's fine too since I'm happy with my Juicebox and would then convert my MC240 to what you're looking to do and sell it as a 240/30AMP J1772 charging solution on ebay. I'm running the Juicebox as my home charging solution where I keep a dedicated Model-S UMC with all the available plugs in the Roadster. Its amazingly compact, can be stowed behind the driver's seat with ease if need be. Henry's CAN SR (as well as JR) is always packed inside the Roadster, so I can use the SR whenever I need a mobile based charge from the S UMC.

As for where to go and buy a cord/connector. You can search online for your options, length, colors. They can range anywhere from $100 for a 16' cable w/ connector from Yazaka in ebay, but also they can also run all the way up as high to $173 for a 20 footer from a brand like Leviton. Handles alone will be $95+, so it seams to make sense to get the set and that way you don't have to crimp/solder pins which is one less thing to worry about.

Two things to consider when ordering, cable length and flexibility. There's a very small / flexy cable that you can run, same as the Model-S UMC which is great if you go mobile and need the space. But the MC240 box is so big, its a moot point. That cable is more expensive, the larger/more rigid cable is less expensive but won't wrap as nicely as the latter cable. Both of course together still won't match the bulkiness of the MC240 cable, so you ahead of the game there no matter which path you take.

New SAE J1772 Yazaki Evse 30A EV 16 Charging Cord 120 240V Level 2 UL | eBay

http://store.openevse.com/collections/frontpage/products/j1772-cable-40a-ultra-flexible-us-only

30 Amp J1772 Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charge Connector with 20 Ft. Cord, A2034-PEV : J1772 Charge Connector and Cable

Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - J1772 Cable Plug - 40A 20FT UL SAE J1772, as used in JuiceBoxâ„¢

Last edited: