Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convert NEMA 5-20 to 6-20?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Year later update, it's still a TT-30 because I was able to easily add a 14-50 on the ceiling. I like the idea of going to 6-30 with the outdoor plug, but may go farther and go all the way to 14-50 because there are adapters from 14-50 to TT-30 just in case. There aren't any 6-30 to TT-30 adapters because 6-30 has no neutral. I'll admit that I don't understand completely why neutral can't be connected to ground. Also, no conduit (as expected).

I'll admit that I don't understand completely why neutral can't be connected to ground.
That's understandable. As you probably know, neutral is connected to ground back at the main panel. The problem with connecting neutral to ground at the outlet is when you have something plugged into the outlet, neutral is used as part of the circuit. That means that the neutral wire is no longer at ground potential, it has some voltage on it. If the appliance has connected the ground pin to the chassis of the appliance (which is normal), someone touching it could get a shock from the voltage potential.

If the appliance is connected to something else that's grounded, like through your computer to a monitor then to another outlet, you can create nasty ground loops where current is flowing through things like HDMI or USB cables in ways it's not supposed to because the ground potential of the two circuits is not the same. That can blow up equipment, or keep it from working.

Reactions: DangerRuss and jgs
That does make sense, thank you. OFF-TOPIC: Anybody have a favorite RV camp map that can easily be broken down by plug type? I know if they aren't on PlugShare they'd probably rather not be pulling in charger traffic. I'm looking for something to put in my back pocket for emergencies. Not for trip planning. Maybe I should word that more articulately and start a thread.

There aren't any 6-30 to TT-30 adapters because 6-30 has no neutral.
Well, wait a minute. Let's clear this up. Sure, you won't find standard UL compliant ones for that, because they can't convert between a 240V outlet type to a 120V outlet type. But for EV charging, this would work fine, and the neutral isn't an issue because you wire it differently.

The ground of the 6-30 goes to the ground of TT-30. There's no difference there. As to the others, it's just passing through a pair of pins which have a voltage difference. The Tesla charging cable and the charger inside the car don't care if they are 240V or 120V; they will detect and use whatever it is. So to wire this up, you are just remapping the Hot and Neutral of the TT-30 to the Hot1 and Hot2 of the 6-30. This is how all of this is done in the world of EV charging adapters when people have to make an adapter from a 120V plug type to a 240V plug type.

That does make sense, thank you. OFF-TOPIC: Anybody have a favorite RV camp map that can easily be broken down by plug type?
Yes, there are a few good ones. Two that I know of and have used are www.allstays.com and www.rvparky.com They have maps, and let you filter by amenities that are included. For electrical, that will say "30 amp" or "50 amp". And yes, those do mean TT-30 and 14-50, but RV park places generally won't know that those are the actual names of the outlets.

Reactions: DangerRuss
@DangerRuss PlugShare can filter by TT-30 and 14-50 outlets. If they are not already displayed in the Filters menu, click on the "Incompatible plugs" link to find them.
1660677187692.png

PlugShare can filter by TT-30 and 14-50 outlets. If they are not already displayed in the Filters menu, click on the "Incompatible plugs" link to find them.
Well, yes, IF some user has decided to create an entry for that particular one. Plugshare is a user maintained map. There are a lot of campgrounds and RV park sites that have never been added to Plugshare but are listed on the camping website maps.

Well, wait a minute. Let's clear this up. Sure, you won't find standard UL compliant ones for that, because they can't convert between a 240V outlet type to a 120V outlet type. But for EV charging, this would work fine, and the neutral isn't an issue because you wire it differently.

The ground of the 6-30 goes to the ground of TT-30. There's no difference there. As to the others, it's just passing through a pair of pins which have a voltage difference. The Tesla charging cable and the charger inside the car don't care if they are 240V or 120V; they will detect and use whatever it is. So to wire this up, you are just remapping the Hot and Neutral of the TT-30 to the Hot1 and Hot2 of the 6-30. This is how all of this is done in the world of EV charging adapters when people have to make an adapter from a 120V plug type to a 240V plug type.
I'm mostly following, you can convert to 120v from a 14-30 because there are two hots and a neutral, you can just choose one hot. I know that EVSEs can't detect amps, if they could this would all be much easier, but they can detect voltage? Presumably I don't quite follow this because of my crude understanding of electricity. I note that EVSEadapters.com has cool adapters for TMC Gen 1 that have no neutral and so fit 14-30, 14-50 and 14-60.

Example:

You're suggesting they could make a 6-30 to TT-30 adapter if they wanted, it's just that it would only be suitable for EV use, or EVSE use like the link above. Which is kinda dangerous. No matter how good your warning labels are.

Don't feel any pressure to keep explaining things to me, though it might be worth it as reference for others later.

:):cool:

@DangerRuss PlugShare can filter by TT-30 and 14-50 outlets. If they are not already displayed in the Filters menu, click on the "Incompatible plugs" link to find them.
As for PlugShare, it doesn't show campgrounds mostly. At least not on the route I use as an example. (I've driven between Atlanta, GA and Mobile, AL hundreds of times so that's my test route). I'd assumed they were not listed by choice. There may be more to it than that.

I'm mostly following, you can convert to 120v from a 14-30 because there are two hots and a neutral, you can just choose one hot.
Well, no, not that way. You wouldn't choose only one hot--you use both of them. You are thinking trying to extract only a 120V source (by only using one hot wire) from that 14-30 outlet to make it an exactly the same 120V output that a TT-30 should "normally" be. That's not what I'm talking about. You don't have to keep the voltage the same as what a TT-30 would normally be. For EV charging, you could interchange between 240 or 120V either way, and the cars will use it just fine.
That might be a better example, but both I think illustrate the point you are trying to make.
Well, no, that's just remaking the same 14-30 Tesla plug.

I don't know how to explain this better than I did above. You are connecting two wires through. So in that 14-30 example above, no, you wouldn't just take just one hot and the neutral to try to get just 120V. You can take the Hot1 and the Hot2 from the 14-30 for a full 240V connection, and then you apply that to a TT-30 outlet on its two voltage pins, which by name are supposedly the Hot and Neutral. But in this case, you will have double the voltage, and the car will be fine with that. Or if it's the reverse, and a real TT-30 is the source, you can take that 120V and feed it to the car on Hot1/Hot2 of a 14-30, and the car won't care it's half voltage.

I guess the more detailed point I forgot to mention earlier is that these car charging plugs are only looking at two pins for the voltage, and it's going to be on whatever is the highest voltage available for that outlet type. So in the 14-50 or 14-30 outlet types, it's going to be connected onto the Hot1 and Hot2. The Neutral is ignored. On other 120V outlets, like the 5-15 or 5-20 or TT-30, they don't have two different hot lines. The highest and only voltage is on a Hot and a Neutral, so that's what is used.

I'm mostly following, you can convert to 120v from a 14-30 because there are two hots and a neutral, you can just choose one hot. I know that EVSEs can't detect amps, if they could this would all be much easier, but they can detect voltage? Presumably I don't quite follow this because of my crude understanding of electricity. I note that EVSEadapters.com has cool adapters for TMC Gen 1 that have no neutral and so fit 14-30, 14-50 and 14-60.

Example:

You're suggesting they could make a 6-30 to TT-30 adapter if they wanted, it's just that it would only be suitable for EV use, or EVSE use like the link above. Which is kinda dangerous. No matter how good your warning labels are.

Don't feel any pressure to keep explaining things to me, though it might be worth it as reference for others later.

:):cool:

As for PlugShare, it doesn't show campgrounds mostly. At least not on the route I use as an example. (I've driven between Atlanta, GA and Mobile, AL hundreds of times so that's my test route). I'd assumed they were not listed by choice. There may be more to it than that.
That's the general idea. The EVSE and the car can detect whether they've got 120v (hot- neutral) or 240v (hot-hot) and don't care which they get. When you make an adapter for say, TT-30 to 6-30, you hook up the hot and neutral to the two hots, and ground still goes to ground. You're right that making these oddly wired adapters can be a bit of a hazard, which is why I usually suggest people go with the ones from EVSEAdapters that can only plug into the Tesla mobile connector. That way there isn't any way to misuse them.

RVer here.

I'd just get the 14-50 Tesla Mobile Adapter for the mobile charger and then a 14-50 to TT-30 dog bone adapter Power Grip Adapter, 30A Male to 50A Female . I think you have to self police though and make sure you set your max amps accordingly within the car/app before you start your charge. IE 30a pedestal = 24a max, 50a pedestal = 32a max.

Anecdotal evidence but all RV pads that have electrical will have the 30a 120v service. Most will also have a NEMA 5-15. Only a few have 50a, mainly for the longer pads to accommodate motor homes that have 2 AC units. Some pads will also have both 30a and 50a and 5-15 which would be nice so you don't have to play musical chairs with your RV and EV.

RV places seem to be cracking down though on EV charging and will say out right no or we'll charge extra for it :(

Last edited:
RVer here. I'd just get the 14-50 Tesla Mobile Adapter for the mobile charger and then a 14-50 to TT-30 dog bone adapter Power Grip Adapter, 30A Male to 50A Female . I think you have to self police though and make sure you set your max amps accordingly within the car before you start your charge. IE 30a pedestal = 24a max, 50a pedestal = 32a max.

Anecdotal evidence but all RV pads that have electrical will have the 30a 120v service. Only a few have 50a, mainly for the longer motorhomes that have 2 AC units. Some pads will also have both 30a and 50a which would be nice so you don't have to play musical chairs with your RV and EV.

RV places seem to be cracking down though on EV charging and will say out right no or we'll charge extra for it :(
Don't buy that one. RV adapters are not wired correctly for EV use. There are ones that are marketed for EV use, but again, I'd go with EVSEAdapters one.

To be clear, I'll be buying nice professionally made adapters, I'm just educating myself. Always more to learn.
Enjoying the discussion. Thanks all.

Some of these RV lookup sites show 20 amps too.
Which appears to just be a 5-20.

Seems like Tesla.com needs to just offer a TT30 straight up. Wonder why they don't. Hmm.
I'm surprised at this too. Seems like TT-30 should be the 3rd pigtail after 5-15 and 14-50.
4th would probably be 5-20.

I counted once and I think evseadapters.com has 35+ various adapters for the TMC. TT-30 is currently out of stock. Hopefully not for long.

Ford still doesn't even let you limit the amps in the vehicle last I checked.
Maybe because the MME was born in a time of far better EV infrastructure.

Tesla knew they'd be plugged in behind dryers and electric ranges and so on.

Seems like Tesla.com needs to just offer a TT30 straight up. Wonder why they don't. Hmm.
Yes, they are long overdue to offer that.
OK, now to this question:

Interesting. Guess I'd need to see the wiring schematic. Can someone break out the crayons so I can see the difference?
Yes, here's why those dogbone adapters from camping supply places can't work. It is related to what I was describing above, where for electric car charging, you can do sleight of hand with swapping between 240V and 120V on the same pair of wires, and it's OK. But in normal world, like RVs, you can't do that.

So here's what your dogbone adapter does. The TT-30 has three wires: Hot1 and Neutral for the 120V and then ground. To try to make that work into a big RV that wants a 50A connection, but keep the right voltage levels, it takes that single Hot1 and puts it on BOTH live voltage pins (Hot1 and Hot2) of the 14-50 receptacle end. And then Neutral to Neutral and ground to ground.

But when you plug an EV charging cable into that 14-50 adapted receptacle, it is ONLY looking at those two pins that have Hot1 and Hot1. It's exactly the same connection on both sides, so it just sees 0 volts between them and does nothing.

To make it work for EVs, you have to fool it by taking the Hot1 and Neutral from the TT-30 and apply it to the 14-50 side on the pins that are supposed to be Hot1 and Hot2.

Well, yes, IF some user has decided to create an entry for that particular one. Plugshare is a user maintained map. There are a lot of campgrounds and RV park sites that have never been added to Plugshare but are listed on the camping website maps.

PlugShare only recently, like within the past three or so months, added the TT-30 filter. Previously TT-30s could only be properly lumped under "wall" with 5-15 and 5-20. So given the crowd sourcing nature of its database, there hasn't been much time to add or update various sites.

To be clear, I'll be buying nice professionally made adapters, I'm just educating myself. Always more to learn.
Enjoying the discussion. Thanks all.

Some of these RV lookup sites show 20 amps too.
Which appears to just be a 5-20.

I'm surprised at this too. Seems like TT-30 should be the 3rd pigtail after 5-15 and 14-50.
4th would probably be 5-20.

I counted once and I think evseadapters.com has 35+ various adapters for the TMC. TT-30 is currently out of stock. Hopefully not for long.

Ford still doesn't even let you limit the amps in the vehicle last I checked.
Maybe because the MME was born in a time of far better EV infrastructure.

Tesla knew they'd be plugged in behind dryers and electric ranges and so on.

The MME (and Lighting and many others) really need to add that option. That they don't goes to show that their charging hardware and software developers are still relatively clueless when it comes to on the road EV charging. This is stuff Tesla was doing right back in Roadster days.

A complete set of adapters for North American campground pedestals is 14-50, TT-30, 5-20, and 5-15. Add to that the 14-30 and 10-30 adapters for new/old clothes dryer receptacles and one has a fairly complete set for most situations. I've long maintained that Tesla should add a TT-30 adapter to their offerings. The fact that evseadapters often sells out, when they sometimes have stock of upwards of 1000 units, speaks to its popularity.

It would be interesting to know the history of TT-30 vs NEMA 5-30 or NEMA L5-30. Like did TT-30 predate the NEMA [L]5-30 by a significant number of years/decades, and it is too established to change now? Some travel trailers and small campers have a L5-30P inlet mounted on them, then use a L5-30R to TT-30P cable to plug into the pedestal. My google foo hasn't been able to uncover much - except that TT-30 was only made a NEMA standard relatively recently.

Last edited:
So here's a related question a whole entire year later.

"The Tesla charging cable and the charger inside the car don't care if they are 240V or 120V; they will detect and use whatever it is. So to wire this up, you are just remapping the Hot and Neutral of the TT-30 to the Hot1 and Hot2 of the 6-30. This is how all of this is done in the world of EV charging adapters when people have to make an adapter from a 120V plug type to a 240V plug type."

WHY do EVSEs work different than RV or other plug types?
There must be an advantage or it wouldn't be done. Just more flexible?

Maybe there's a thread already that explains this well that I haven't stumbled upon.
Somebody politely (or impolitely) point me at it.

-R

WHY do EVSEs work different than RV or other plug types?
I’m not 100% sure I understand your question, but answering the question I think you’re asking:

RVs need to provide power to things inside that are expecting a specific voltage to function - i.e. 120 or 240 volts. Appliances expecting 120 volts might be very unhappy if you give them a 240v supply.

EVSEs are generally designed to accept a wide range of input voltages for maximum flexibility, and because no matter the voltage, the car’s onboard charger has to convert the power to DC and step it up to a voltage suitable for charging the HV battery. So it doesn’t really matter what you put in on the front end.

I’m sure there is a web page…. But

EV is looking for power between the two hots on the 6-30. It ideally is looking for 240v but is happy with the 120v it gets.

RV is a bit different. An RV does NOT have ANY 240v appliances or usage despite using a 240v outlet (note they use a 14-50 with a neutral). It is using a 240v circuit as two totally separate 120v circuits. So when you convert a Tt-30, you apply the hot to both hots on the 14-50 and the neutral goes to the neutral. So both sides of the plug are active. Sure, you have less overall power using the adapter. Just have to be careful.

However, if the hot is connected across both hots on the 240v plug, it won’t see any power at all because they are in phase.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H