Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converted Audi A2 goes 605 km (378mi) without charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't they cram 80 odd kWh into the floor of the A2? In which case they may have a volumetric advantage.
Maybe, but the 4000mah cells does have pretty good volumetric density though. Given Tesla was able to cram 85kWh under the Model S using 3100mah cells, it's probably pretty close.

With very high cycle life they would have an advantage for stop-start, PHEVs or even diesel-electric hybrid trains.
That doesn't have much to do with EVs though; in those use cases, the power density matters more and there are other cells that do significantly better in that regard.

We are lookoing at multiple things
- price / kWh
- Energy & specific density
- Power density
- Recharge rate
- Number of cycles

From tesla's unwillingness to have QC for the 40 kWh S, it is clear the recharge rates aren't good with the chemistry Tesla is using. DBM claims good fast charge capbility.
I suppose fast charging/cycle life may be the big advantage when used in smaller packs (doesn't matter as much in the larger packs because you are limited by the charging infrastructure). But I haven't heard any estimates for specs besides from specific density (250-300Wh/kg) and cycle life (~5000 cycles).

Thought I'd do some checking and see if there is anything new. Seems as if they are mostly concentrating on grid storage Kolibri Power Systems AG with no official mention of vehicular applications :mad: However there is a reference to them experimenting with some Twizzy's Google Translate

This was interesting:
The products range from suitcase-sized power pack with 20 kilowatt-hours of storage capacity ...

Someone on DIY tried to contact DBM about vehicle cells and was told they were only doing stationary storage :cursing: Why stationary storage would need the energy density of these cells, and place a higher value on them than automotive uses, is beyond me. Something does not add up here.