Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converted model 3 front seat to an office chair

TMThree

Mar 28, 2019
USA
pics of the build process here: model 3 right hand (pass) seat

I got the chair off ebay for $450 shipped. Came off a car with 10k miles, seat is absolutely perfect. Opted for the passenger side since theres less wear than driver side.

Took a bit to figure out how to get the airbag out.

Got the seat belt buckle out, then 3d printed some legs (that I ended up not using).

Figured out how to power the seat, the seat controls are fly by wire, so you can't really control the motors with it without a lot more effort (switch tells the car, car powers the motors and polarity). So I'm using a speed controller with reversible polarity to move it around. I cut up a laptop 12v 3a ac adapter and it works great. Pick what I want to control, and then switch between forward/back (or up and down) with a toggle.

Ended up drilling holes into an ikea foot stool to have a mount the correct height. The seat rests on rails and the center is just foam, so I don't have the means to build a suitable bracket. This works for now even though its not super polished.

Pretty happy with it considering I didn't have a plan other than to buy the seat and see what I could do with it. It took 2 days of messing with it to get it to this point. I think I can get 150-200 for the airbag, so that will drop the cost of the chair to a very reasonable price point.

tesla-chair.jpg

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC