Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converted model 3 front seat to an office chair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMThree

Mar 28, 2019
USA
pics of the build process here: model 3 right hand (pass) seat

I got the chair off ebay for $450 shipped. Came off a car with 10k miles, seat is absolutely perfect. Opted for the passenger side since theres less wear than driver side.

Took a bit to figure out how to get the airbag out.

Got the seat belt buckle out, then 3d printed some legs (that I ended up not using).

Figured out how to power the seat, the seat controls are fly by wire, so you can't really control the motors with it without a lot more effort (switch tells the car, car powers the motors and polarity). So I'm using a speed controller with reversible polarity to move it around. I cut up a laptop 12v 3a ac adapter and it works great. Pick what I want to control, and then switch between forward/back (or up and down) with a toggle.

Ended up drilling holes into an ikea foot stool to have a mount the correct height. The seat rests on rails and the center is just foam, so I don't have the means to build a suitable bracket. This works for now even though its not super polished.

Pretty happy with it considering I didn't have a plan other than to buy the seat and see what I could do with it. It took 2 days of messing with it to get it to this point. I think I can get 150-200 for the airbag, so that will drop the cost of the chair to a very reasonable price point.

tesla-chair.jpg