Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converted Mom’s Lexus RX order to Model Y at last minute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Mom (early 60s) has driven minivans, SUVs, or crossovers since I was a teenager. Her most recent car was a 2010 Lexus RX 350 that is starting to get a little long in the tooth. She had a new 2020 RX picked out and sent me the info and pics while my parents were at the dealership going through financing.

She’s always impressed with my Model S but won’t go back to a sedan after being used to a high seating position. While at the Lexus dealership she texted me “Too bad I can’t get a Tesla like yours, I looked at the SUV online and it’s way out of my price range”. I know I’ve talked to her about the Model Y before but it must not have stuck. I quickly configured a base Y on the website and texted her a screenshot (with a price that was $10k less than the loaded RX she was buying...) then called her to see if it was too late for her to reconsider.

A few minutes later, I got the below screenshot! I would have liked to see the look on the Lexus salesperson’s face.

2318B4CA-14B3-4A10-946C-8B60A204DBB9.jpeg

My wife also wants Lexus RX and does not want model Y because she wants to seat in it and drive it first before considering it. Valid point and model X is out of price range nor want to deal with used model X as it costs about the same as new SUV l.

glad you worked your charm; I am still trying but losing battle as we are eyeing car this month.

Reactions: APotatoGod
My wife also wants Lexus RX and does not want model Y because she wants to seat in it and drive it first before considering it.
Valid point and model X is out of price range nor want to deal with used model X as it costs about the same as new SUV l.

glad you worked your charm; I am still trying but losing battle as we are eyeing car this month.
Does she drove a Model 3? There should not too much difference.

Otherwise it's more been able to keep your current car a little bit longer versus getting a new one right now.

she does drive my model 3 but does not like it as she likes to seat higher.
Now she has older RAV4 that’s needs to be replaced soon.
I guess she is not the one taking care of checking for oil change, transmission fluid change, brake pads and disk replacement,
smog check... going to the gas station every week...

I still have to do all this stuff with an older car for some family member. I just realised that recently while waiting for a smog check.

I become so lasy now after been using my Model 3 like an iphone always charged up every morning...

Auto pilot is also so relaxing to used in busy freeways, and just be able to keep running the air conditionning
without having the engine working when parked and waiting inside my car.

That some of the reasons people will never go back to combustion engine cars.

I guess you must have a major mechanic problem with your RAV4, not like this 21 year old CR-V owner:

May be another subjet that deserved a separate thread, but thinking
to our current ecological mess that future generations while have to deal with.
This video about collecting plastic in rivers before reaching the ocan is quite encouraging:

Also our current energy situation where drilling oil in middle of the ocean, transporting it,
and creating more polution with refineries, is still simpler that using solar panels, mostly
because storing clean energy is still a difficult issue.

My point for all of this comments is that, if you can afford it, and it is as convenient
(I mean provide enough range, is practical for your family or business need,...),
geting an EV is really the way to go, but car manufacturers and cars dealers
will do everything to drag their feet and prevent any change to preserve their business.

I had recently been talking with a relative who decided getting a new Prius,
so I understand your situation. I hope you will not be too frustrated for the next few years.

Last edited:
I guess she is not the one taking care of checking for oil change, transmission fluid change, brake pads and disk replacement,
smog check... going to the gas station every week...

I still have to do all this stuff with an older car for some family member. I just realised that recently while waiting for a smog check.

I become so lasy now after been using my Model 3 like an iphone always charged up every morning...

Auto pilot is also so relaxing to used in busy freeways, and just be able to keep running the air conditionning
without having the engine working when parked and waiting inside my car.

That some of the reasons people will never go back to combustion engine cars.

I guess you must have a major mechanic problem with your RAV4, not like this 21 year old CR-V owner:

May be another subjet that deserved a separate thread, but thinking
to our current ecological mess that future generations while have to deal with.
This video about collecting plastic in rivers before reaching the ocan is quite encouraging:

Also our current energy situation where drilling oil in middle of the ocean, transporting it,
and creating more polution with refineries, is still simpler that using solar panels, mostly
because storing clean energy is still a difficult issue.

My point for all of this comments is that, if you can afford it, and it is as convenient
(I mean provide enough range, is practical for your family or business need,...),
geting an EV is really the way to go, but car manufacturers and cars dealers
will do everything to drag their feet and prevent any change to preserve their business.

I had recently been talking with a relative who decided getting a new Prius,
so I understand your situation. I hope you will not be too frustrated for the next few years.

You called it, I do take it for repairs and just did smog check. I showed her this thread. There is still a chance... her RAV4 is old and we want something new SUV for her.

You called it, I do take it for repairs and just did smog check.
I showed her this thread. There is still a chance... her RAV4 is old and we want something new SUV for her.
What ever will be the outcome, it's a good story.
Meanwhile, I can't wait to put my hands on the Model Y, hoping the towing option will be available...

About the phasing out of combustion intern engine, there is still a lot to do,
thinking that may be 95% (?) of all the transportation (trucks, bus, trains...)
and backup power generator... are based on diesel engine.

Last edited:
You called it, I do take it for repairs and just did smog check. I showed her this thread.
There is still a chance... her RAV4 is old and we want something new SUV for her.
You should lend her your new M3 and drive the clunky RAV4 instead, since she is afraid that it might break down.
This will give you more time to get a Model Y, which seems more logical than rushing to get the ICE Lexus and have regrets later.
Then she could compare the Model Y and the Lexus when the Model Y will be available.

You should lend her your new M3 and drive the clunky RAV4 instead, since she is afraid that it might break down.
This will give you more time to get a Model Y, which seems more logical than rushing to get the ICE Lexus and have regrets later.

Good point. If it was say 3-4 months I can do that. But I LOVE my model 3, just like all of us who bought Tesla. I guess that’s me being selfish? We are not rushing. Last year around this time RAV4 spring a leak under the front. I noticed it and told my wife take my car; do not drive this. AAA to mechanic thinking this is it transmission busted and no way going to fix it. Lucky us it was leaky gasket or nut. Car lives another day. So, now a year later some another $1K into maintenance and repairs, time is near.

I mean would you do that??model Y is not due until summer and ramp up etc, could be close to a year time frame. Trust me, i want her to get Tesla especially that she hates going to gas stations filling up (wont go info details why) I even offered to pay for reservation out of my fund.

I have read that, I find it hard to believe. We have more info about Cybertruck than model Y. would like to know official size rather than 10% bigger. I even installed 100amp breaker wall charger if she decides on Tesla we can do load charge sharing.

I’ll keep this thread updating if something relevant comes up and sorry for hijacking this thread and thanks for responses!

I have read that, I find it hard to believe. We have more info about Cybertruck than model Y.

More model Y talk from Tesla means fewer model 3 sales.

The logical strategy for Tesla is to get the model Y to market unexpectedly early. I'm sure this goal is their strategy. I have no idea if they are successfully executing that strategy.

Also, we know a great deal about the Y because it is a re-skinned model 3. The two improvements on the Y may be 1) More sophisticated body in white, and 2) Reduced signal wiring, perhaps using bluetooth. Neither of the changes affects user experience much.

There may be a Y surprise feature, but that improvement would likely also be added to the 3. Something like bigger battery capacity.

Before Elon said 100kWh won’t fit in model 3 but model Y is 10% bigger? Will be interesting to see if that could be the case. Then it’s understandable why Tesla got away from Tesla s models calling 75/80/90/100 but rather now short standard long range cause they can change battery and still call it the same.

Like you, my wife drives an ICE car (2015 Volvo S60) and, like you, I tend to do all of the PITA maintenance and care for her vehicle so she doesn’t see that part of the value proposition in an EV. So I feel your pain and I too would love to get my wife into a Tesla one day (although the technology and acceleration “scares” her, so it is unlikely). Were I in your situation, I might consider a short term lease on a new or CPO car of some kind to bridge the gap until Model Y is available for test drives at Tesla retail stores. Might take a year or more, but it will happen. Then at least with a short term lease you aren’t stuck maintaining another ICE car for 10 or more years. Good luck!

Like you, my wife drives an ICE car (2015 Volvo S60) and, like you, I tend to do all of the PITA maintenance and care for her vehicle so she doesn’t see that part of the value proposition in an EV. So I feel your pain and I too would love to get my wife into a Tesla one day (although the technology and acceleration “scares” her, so it is unlikely). Were I in your situation, I might consider a short term lease on a new or CPO car of some kind to bridge the gap until Model Y is available for test drives at Tesla retail stores. Might take a year or more, but it will happen. Then at least with a short term lease you aren’t stuck maintaining another ICE car for 10 or more years. Good luck!

Great idea, maybe we can stretch her 2008 rav4 until end of the year, otherwise find something short term. We were this close at buying RX a week ago, just could not find a deal and right combo (of course I also had to spend my time on this) Now that more sightings are coming around and possible Model Y might be around the same dimensions as RAV4, she is willing to wait until the "reveal" or if RX deal comes up, whichever comes first haha.

The major motivating factor for an EV for my wife is not have to go to a gas station.I feel your pain, i assume quiet alot of us take our family cars for routine maintenance rather than GF/Wife, which is fine. but could be avoided with an EV!

Please elaborate on what you would do in the event of your needing to "find something short term". If my 2005 RX 330 doesn't get well fast, I may need that path.

Side note: Auto insurance rate will increase >$14/mo for MY.

Many thanks for any pointers

/LAFA
Near Wilmington, DE
  • RN111277767
  • 7 January 2020
  • Model Y
  • Long Range All-Wheel Drive
  • Pearl White Paint
  • 19’’ Gemini Wheels
  • Autopilot
  • Full Self-Driving Capability

My Mom (early 60s) has driven minivans, SUVs, or crossovers since I was a teenager. Her most recent car was a 2010 Lexus RX 350 that is starting to get a little long in the tooth. She had a new 2020 RX picked out and sent me the info and pics while my parents were at the dealership going through financing.

my original plan if the early deliveries had not been announced was an RX450h. and i had one of the original 99 rx300s. great vehicle

my original plan if the early deliveries had not been announced was an RX450h. and i had one of the original 99 rx300s. great vehicle
My wife drives a 2012 RX450h. It’s been a great car and it still runs perfectly with 110k miles on it, without any mechanical problems ever. She wants a Model X but we have a hard time justifying blowing up our finances for that when her RX is still flawless.

I’m a little worried about my mom’s MY LR RWD order now that the RWD is kind of in limbo. She lives in the coastal South and really doesn’t need AWD. I’m positive she would see having to pay an extra 5 grand to get something she doesn’t need as a reason to bail on her order altogether. When I convinced her to get the Y, I told her to expect it probably in one full year (Dec 2020). If the RWD actually does go into production but is delayed much beyond that, she’ll probably bail too. We early adopters and EV/Tesla enthusiasts are prepared to be a little flexible or accept some compromises in customer service. Mainstream relatively EV-agnostic people like my mom won’t tolerate these inconsistencies and will go back to ICE or another EV brand in a heartbeat if Tesla keeps yanking people around like this.