Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converted Mom’s Lexus RX order to Model Y at last minute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife drives a 2012 RX450h. It’s been a great car and it still runs perfectly with 110k miles on it, without any mechanical problems ever. She wants a Model X but we have a hard time justifying blowing up our finances for that when her RX is still flawless.

I’m a little worried about my mom’s MY LR RWD order now that the RWD is kind of in limbo. She lives in the coastal South and really doesn’t need AWD. I’m positive she would see having to pay an extra 5 grand to get something she doesn’t need as a reason to bail on her order altogether. When I convinced her to get the Y, I told her to expect it probably in one full year (Dec 2020). If the RWD actually does go into production but is delayed much beyond that, she’ll probably bail too. We early adopters and EV/Tesla enthusiasts are prepared to be a little flexible or accept some compromises in customer service. Mainstream relatively EV-agnostic people like my mom won’t tolerate these inconsistencies and will go back to ICE or another EV brand in a heartbeat if Tesla keeps yanking people around like this.
we are probably closer to your mom's age than yours. my wife is not ready at all for an EV. she has a 2018 forester she's very happy with.

• Disagree
Reactions: Watts_Up
My wife drives a 2012 RX450h. It’s been a great car and it still runs perfectly with 110k miles on it, without any mechanical problems ever. She wants a Model X but we have a hard time justifying blowing up our finances for that when her RX is still flawless.

I’m a little worried about my mom’s MY LR RWD order now that the RWD is kind of in limbo. She lives in the coastal South and really doesn’t need AWD. I’m positive she would see having to pay an extra 5 grand to get something she doesn’t need as a reason to bail on her order altogether. When I convinced her to get the Y, I told her to expect it probably in one full year (Dec 2020). If the RWD actually does go into production but is delayed much beyond that, she’ll probably bail too. We early adopters and EV/Tesla enthusiasts are prepared to be a little flexible or accept some compromises in customer service. Mainstream relatively EV-agnostic people like my mom won’t tolerate these inconsistencies and will go back to ICE or another EV brand in a heartbeat if Tesla keeps yanking people around like this.

Clearly Tesla would rather not do a major production run for the LR RWD variant, but eventually they will.
So my recommendation is to just hold out.

She should get AWD anyway. I live in Florida and Las Vegas, NV part time. Neither climate requires AWD. However every pickup and SUV I have purchased in the past has been 4WD or AWD for the simple reason when its time to sell it you have a much larger pool of buyers. Remember most of our coutry gets snow and ice and needs 4WD or AWD. By getting rear wheel drive you really limit your resale market.