Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convertible Car Seats and the X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello my fellow X- (and S)-owning parents!

I'm looking to graduate my 2 1/2 year old to a convertible car seat that'll last him until he's big enough to not need a booster.

Is there any particular brand/model that you guys prefer, or wish you had purchased, for your X or S?

Thanks for your input! :)

Hi,

We have not used these in the Tesla yet (X is on order), but have used them in multiple Priuses, as well as other vehicles.

We love the Radian series, we purchased them as SunShine Kids, now it's Diono.

They are narrow, do rear facing, front facing, and now booster (we used them pre-booster).

In fact we recently ordered one for our quickly growing 4.5 month old son. Amazon.com : Diono Radian RXT All-In-One Convertible Car Seat, Shadow : Convertible Child Safety Car Seats : Baby

I forgot to mention, setup a ongoing price alert on Camel Camel Camel for it, current price is ~$288, we picked it up for $214 plus tax.

-Harry

Hi,

We have not used these in the Tesla yet (X is on order), but have used them in multiple Priuses, as well as other vehicles.

We love the Radian series, we purchased them as SunShine Kids, now it's Diono.

They are narrow, do rear facing, front facing, and now booster (we used them pre-booster).

In fact we recently ordered one for our quickly growing 4.5 month old son. Amazon.com : Diono Radian RXT All-In-One Convertible Car Seat, Shadow : Convertible Child Safety Car Seats : Baby

I forgot to mention, setup a ongoing price alert on Camel Camel Camel for it, current price is ~$288, we picked it up for $214 plus tax.

-Harry

Hey Harry- many thanks for the tip. Thus far we've been using Britax, so I don't know much about this brand, but it certainly seems top notch from what I have read having looked over your link.

Hey Harry- many thanks for the tip. Thus far we've been using Britax, so I don't know much about this brand, but it certainly seems top notch from what I have read having looked over your link.

We originally started with Britax, the boulevard specifically, and found it was just too wide to work well in our cars (mostly Priuses), and we had a major issue on an airplane, the buckle was behind the seat, took 3 of us (including the pilot) working together to get it unbuckled. Every flight since then we get a seatbelt extender for the car seat...

The Radian is very very rugged, and has a metal frame, and is much narrower then the Britax. Don't get me wrong, we are using a Britax B-Safe carrier, and love it, but the convertibles get huge.

Another useful link if you travel with kids, is the Boost-A-Pak, for when they are in booster seats. It's amazing for any travel that you rent a vehicle or take taxis or Uber. Amazon.com : Safety 1st Boostapak Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat : Child Safety Booster Car Seats : Baby

-Harry

I've had both britax and diono. Currently using diono in my X. They are a pain to install due to the superlatches get in the way and takes quite a bit of pulling and micro adjusting a few days later.

Had 3 diono radians now using 2 radians forward facing in the 3rd row and britax advocate clicktight in the 2nd rear facing.

Britax goes in and locked in about 5mins vs diono 20-30mins per seat.

I chose the diono because of the long term functionality and the narrower profile.

Radian vs marathon are equal in comparison. Both great. Blvd and advocate are higher levels as comparable to diono's top of the line.

Really appreciate the tips you guys.

We've got 2 britax advocate clicktights, and as sturdy as they may be, they're super wide!!!

We figured we'll keep our infant in the britax, and perhaps get the radian for our 2 1/2 yr old.

Check out the Clek ones. We just moved our 4 year old into a OObr booster and it's great. Metal frame. I don't have their Foonf convertible but have heard good things. Our favorite convertible is the Peg Perego Viaggio, very nice fabric and looks. Also have a britax boulevard, which is perfectly functional but the britax materials always feel kind of cheap.

Done.

Thanks a lot y'all!
Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 9.27.24 PM.png

20161217_110127-jpg.206427

I'll get a better picture later when I get home, this was from a car meet. Notice the bright yellow towel sticking out like a sore thumb. :eek:

Dude sweet ride! That's the same color combo we're getting. I see what you mean there with the yellow towel- maybe white foam or a white towel would be less prominent?

Also, did you get your ride wrapped with X-PEL or anything like that? She's looking quite shiny there.