Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converting a Roadster to Roadster Sport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The PEM, actually, is physically the same between the 2.x standard and sport models; just a firmware change. But you'd need Tesla's help on the conversion (probably would in any case), as I expect there is firmware elsewhere that would need to get changed over, if only for the cosmetic stuff (e.g. VDS).

Suspension is a bit different too, I believe. And badges.

Without Tesla's help you would need to change the motor, PEM, VDS and the gauge cluster if the donor car has more miles. But then the donor cars VIN would appear on the touchscreen. If Tesla was willing to help, just the motor and suspension.

I would be surprised if a sport motor with a non sport PEM would make a difference. The Sport PEM will put out 900 amps versus 700 for the non sport. So that is the likely bottle neck. But if you are after a few tenths in the 1/4 mile it looks like the 3.0 battery is the better option. With it you have less voltage sag and thus more power.

What happens in this case, when the motor is different but nothing else is changed? I’ve heard stories of Roadsters that dramatically outperform the original specs, and wonder if it’s all related to the motor.

My 523 is one of those Roadsters. It's ridiculous...and it even consistently out-drags a nearby 2.5 Sport with an R80 battery.

All I'm missing is the Adjustable Suspension, which is likely now impossible to acquire from Tesla.

Reactions: hallvardr
From my experience, the difference in 0-60 times all comes down to one thing-traction. With the traction control on you can get a slower time due to it limiting power if the tires start to slip. Without it on you can spin the tires and increase the time as well. Besides tire choice, the other big factor in traction is the rear wheel alignment. When I first started to autocross, I had the rear camber set around -3 degrees and could spin the tires at will (actually just one tire-traction off). The closer I adjusted the camber to 0 degrees, the more traction I got, but the less the car handled. So it all depends on what the car is set up to do-drag race or handle. The only time I can consistently get a sub 4 second 0-60 time is with slicks and 0 degrees of rear camber.