Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converting an ICE to an EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was half kidding about the motor and controller I have. But don't discount a DC motor with a high capacity controller. Take a look at the White Zombie.

White Zombie - World's Fastest Street Legal Car -- Electric & Hybrid Cars

White Zombie - World's Fastest Street Legal Car -- Electric & Hybrid Cars

The White Zombie is so cool. And remember, it was around when hardly anybody knew anything about electric cars.

How about the rocket car in Rat Race?

Here's an idea that's taking root in my mind: pick out an ICE car that you wish was electric and *make it so*. It won't be as easy as ordering a Tesla online, and may take nearly as long to complete, but imagine the good it will do to support independent conversion shops that can tackle converting most any vehicle.

Hows this for a choice...
Here's an idea that's taking root in my mind: pick out an ICE car that you wish was electric and *make it so*. It won't be as easy as ordering a Tesla online, and may take nearly as long to complete, but imagine the good it will do to support independent conversion shops that can tackle converting most any vehicle.

Hows this for a choice?
IMG_3110.JPG

Reactions: ThosEM
I have to confess to some misgivings about the quality of what would result. On the other hand I don’t really see an alternative that will get me a car comparable to my BMW 328i hardtop cabriolet, at a price I can afford. The new roadster will be way more car than I need, want, or can afford. I’d love to have something like the Jaguar E Tyoe Zero, without its delicacy and age, which converting my current car would get me, if succssful.

Maybe Tesla could get greater market penetration by delivering conversion kits to the aftermarket conversion shops? I’d buy into that in a minute...
www.evwest.com has kits, you add batteries - a project

Now you're losing credibility. The Jaguar E Type Zero lost 50 kg compared with the original, got 170 miles range, and dropped a half second off it's 0-100 kph time. There's a guy here in the DC area who converted a BMW Z3 with pretty good results. Photos here: Conversion – BMW Z3 | Electric Vehicle Association of Greater Washington, DC

A new Model S would not be a convertible and I already have one so, that's a nonstarter. I also have Model 3 on order, but it's for my daughter and also is not a convertible. The old roadster is too small for us six footers, and the new roadster will be too expensive for us mortals, so I really see little choice but to do it ourselves.

Please do alert me to any electric convertibles that you spot as being available.
Jaguar E-TYPE Zero Electric - Jaguar Classics | Jaguar
and the price is ?? I suspect $200,000 plus [reminder: you need to supply E-type Jag so Jag can convert]

An i8 Spyder will be more expensive as a BEV, and it's already too rich (and too big) for me and certainly a lot more expensive than a conversion. Also, for my money scissors doors are the height of cost-ineffectiveness. So I'll stick with my hardtop convertible BMW and hope that a workable conversion can be fit in my budget at some point. It will be a daily commuter for a while, but eventually will only need to be a recreational vehicle (another reason to keep it cheap), so new car levels of reliability are not critically important to me for this car.

It depresses me to think that the EV revolution will have to wait at least a decade for all the existing ICE vehicles to bite the dust. But then, I have to admit that not many existing cars would be worth the conversion.
much closer to 2 decades - 2038 or so. ~100,000,000 ICE being made EACH YEAR. EV have yet to reach 1 million.

I had a 1992 Buick Roadmaster before getting my Model S. The two cars have the same wheelbase and are close to the same width and the Buick is body on frame. I have thought it would be cool to drop a Roadmaster body on a Tesla skateboard. I loved the seats in that car.

Considering how slowly legacy auto makers are taking up EVs OR is it just how long it takes to build battery factories?
[that might be changing - a lot of talk - we shall see who actually steps up to follow Tesla lead]
There MIGHT BE room for a small conversion cottage industry. Just city cars ~100 mile ranges?

Bosch has many drive trains [IF they'd sell them cheap one at a time or in pallet quantities for conversion shops]
eAxle

I still think ~300,000 diesel cars collected up by VW in the US?
what is happening to them? anyone know??

many battery options here are:
Fullriver LiFePO4 32700 3.2V 5400mAh Rechargeable Batteries
- this one is NOT good for vehicles but OK for power walls.

google search: LiFePO4 batteries

In addition to my 2019 MS I have a 1929 Model A Ford Roadster. Fully restored 98% original. It is a summer time toy that is so much fun to drive. I get about 5,000 miles a year on it. But.. Eventually I will no longer be able to tour with it.. Range is only about 75 miles and soon enough, the number of gas stations will diminish or gas will be so expensive that I will not be able to drive it.. I actually look forward to that day.. So, I am looking for a way to convert it to an EV.. Perhaps thru electronics and software, I may be able to preserve that old car put and the aoogah horn. If anyone can point me in that direction, I would be very appreciative. The old car deserves to live on.. but not in a museum Marvin&Family.jpg

Considering how slowly legacy auto makers are taking up EVs OR is it just how long it takes to build battery factories?
[that might be changing - a lot of talk - we shall see who actually steps up to follow Tesla lead]
There MIGHT BE room for a small conversion cottage industry. Just city cars ~100 mile ranges?

Bosch has many drive trains [IF they'd sell them cheap one at a time or in pallet quantities for conversion shops]
eAxle

You want an EV with about 100 miles range? Nissan Leaf. You cannot DIY a conversion that can compete for cost:quality with the Leaf. Or for just a little more than the cheapest Leaf you can get a Base Model 3. The Leaf killed the home DIY conversion business. Your link to eAxle claims their drive train is "cost attractive" but doesn't mention a price, which is a dead give-away that it's not.

Yes, legacy automakers are reluctant to embrace EV (except Nissan) but who needs them? I'll tell you a secret: <whispering> Tesla. <end whispering> No home shop in the world can make a car as nice as a Tesla for less than ten times the price.

In addition to my 2019 MS I have a 1929 Model A Ford Roadster. Fully restored 98% original. It is a summer time toy that is so much fun to drive. I get about 5,000 miles a year on it. But.. Eventually I will no longer be able to tour with it.. Range is only about 75 miles and soon enough, the number of gas stations will diminish or gas will be so expensive that I will not be able to drive it.. I actually look forward to that day.. So, I am looking for a way to convert it to an EV.. Perhaps thru electronics and software, I may be able to preserve that old car put and the aoogah horn. If anyone can point me in that direction, I would be very appreciative. The old car deserves to live on.. but not in a museum View attachment 395450

Now that would be a conversion project worth doing! A classic car like that deserves an electric drive train! (But don't worry: You'll be able to buy gasoline for a few more years yet. The human race is strongly committed to burning every last drop of oil, no matter the cost to the environment, so gas will be available until it's all gone, and that's a decade or two away.)

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
Here are two good places to start:
The Electric Vehicle Discussion List
DIY Electric Car Forums - Electric Vehicle Build and Conversion Community

Also here's a link to the blog for my conversion (not a Model A but same general principles):
Just Another EV Conversion
thanks.. I have lots to learn. I love that ! And.. lucky for me I am off the clock so have time to learn and plan and think it thru. it’s not likely a practical project but it will be fun. it took me 4 years, 15 years ago, to restore the original car so I am no stranger to long term projects.

• Informative
Ev conversions just got a LOT cheaper. One of the biggest hurdles was the motor and inverter assembly. The are open source controllers now for many toyota hybrid inverters which allow them to operate most 3phase motors. Additionally he has an open source inverter kit that you can build from a BOM inexpensively. Check out www.evbmw.com. Second hand batteries are always an option for the DIY guy, but there are many affordable lithium options from dozens of Chinese companies. The trick with ev conversions is doing it safely. The tesla drives now have an open source controller available.

• Informative
Yes, legacy automakers are reluctant to embrace EV (except Nissan) but who needs them? I'll tell you a secret: <whispering> Tesla. <end whispering> No home shop in the world can make a car as nice as a Tesla for less than ten times the price.

True dat. UNLESS we are talking about a convertible or a roadster. There aren't enough old Tesla Roadsters around, or maybe there are?

On this topic, anyone got any ideas how to drive a traditional drive shaft with a Tesla (small front or rear) drive unit? I've seen the Audi S5 Tesla pictures but they havent provided any specifics. Im guessing the open diff built into the unit prohibits just plumbing it all in as it would just spin the "disconnected" side 100%?

Sorry, I was wrong in above (previous post) LiFePO4 are another Li chemistry battery.
BYD uses - in Buses and storage to compete with Tesla PowerPacks
EVwest.com uses in many of their conversions

Li chemistry continue to slowly improve - many think solid state the ultimate solution - time will tell.