TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CONVERTING TESLA US to EUROPE

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Qurix, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Qurix

Qurix Member

Does anybody know what are the options? I have Tesla form US and who can do simple reprograming that tail lamps will blink as in Europe version? Also i dont see any map any options for that ?

2. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

I'm sure the taillights are different because the turn signals here are red while in Europe they would be amber (orange).

3. drklain

drklain Member

It's much bigger than that. A US Tesla has a different charging plug receptacle than a European one. A US Built Tesla will not be able to plug into any of the superchargers in Europe... Given the fact you can't use European superchargers, I think it's almost a non-starter to take a US Tesla to Europe...but that's just me.

4. Peter Greis

Peter Greis Member

I did casually ask Tesla Switzerland about that a while back. Cost was about 40k CHF, as the power electronics (inverters / wiring) had to be changed. I believe that they did have two customers who pushed through and did the conversion.... it would be worth calling up a service center and asking...

5. tga

tga Supporting Member

That doesn't make sense. The chargers are universal (50/60 hz, 100-277 VAC). Wire is wire.

6. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

And the CHF being close to 1 to 1 to the US dollar, that would be $40,000. Why not just buy the car there then?

I don't see how that would make any sense.

7. GreenT

GreenT Member

You do realize that a US car taken taken to Europe voids its warranty?
    That said, if it could be done, I would have. I checked SC's in USA and SC's in Europe. Cannot be done. That was the word on the street last year and see no reason why it would change.

tga ... wire is NOT just wire ... do you know anything about different electrics in Europe? 60hx vs 50 hz for example. Phases?

As others have commented ... all different electrics / electronics.

8. Qurix

Qurix Member

Well .... I asked about simple reprograming of tail lamps.... Not possibility to use superchargers that i dont need... I can charge on chademo stations so if Tesla dont want me to charge on their superduperchargers thats fine... However technicly their good will would alow me to charge US tesla on EU chargers. That is relay only thats they dosnt want US cars to do it not big technical isue... For sure my car is salvage so i does not have warranty at all even in the US... So please get back to topic.... I never spot any other car that service wount take care because its form US and i bring it to Europe. Sorry but that is not something that might be a problem for BMW for example. They did service actions on my car for free even it was form US. Also i don`t know any other car that needs aproval of the service after repairing it after crash before they sell you the parts! This is very good car i like it but fighting with stupid unpossibility to change maps software or unpossibility to change program that controls tail lamps is ......... lets say just stupid...

9. Qurix

Qurix Member

and please notice that Tesla made chademo adapter to charge their cars on chademo stations but they did not made adapter for US cars charging on their stations in Europe. This is stupid!

• Disagree x 2
  10. Qurix

Qurix Member

also that this car use simple google maps and they did not load in Europe.... Why?????? Goooooooddddddd :)

11. ChrisPDX

ChrisPDX Member

There are so many things different between US and EU spec cars. Not only is the charge port different, the charger is different as well (EU has 3 phase power, US does not). Pretty much all lights are different. And the 3G/LTE is different as the service is not set to roam internationally (which is why the maps don't work). And those are the only differences I know of off the top of my head (I'm sure there are countless more). Now keeping this in mind, Tesla build US spec cars and only sold them in the US. Likewise, they built EU spec cars and only sold them in the EU. It makes no sense for them to support this conversion. It only adds to their liability with no advantage.

Also a Supercharger adaptor would be very dangerous. When dealing with 120kW of power, you don't mess around with it. An adaptor adds a point of disconnect while active which could cause some serious arcing.

12. Bishop

Bishop Member

I know for canada maps they told me it was free and will take an hour

13. Qurix

Qurix Member

Well i think there is not different at all with the US and EU versions to have simple map working! Its just that they did not want to turn it on! I can connect to the internet with my phone and wifi hotspot in 1 minute! Car just simply dont want to update! This is not customer friendly at all! Even EU charge on three phases it doesnt mean that you can not charge on DC power at superchargers. As i wrote before i have chademo adapter and can charge on stations at 60KW so what is a big deal? They did adapter for 60KW but for 120 KW it would be dangerous? Come on! No different! I know that US cars are for US but come on a little good will and turning maps would be apreciated!
    I know the guy that can do it but he told me that he need to pay like 2000USD for access code from tesla! So as you see there is no problem to take 2000USD and turn maps on! No other companies does that!

14. ChrisPDX

ChrisPDX Member

You are clearly very emotional about this. Were you mislead by the seller that the car would be fully functional in Europe?

As for the adapter, you are not looking closely enough at it. Look at how it functions. In order to physically disconnect either end of it, you first must press either the CHAdeMO release button and Tesla release button. Either one stops the power delivery and then lets you unlatch the adapter. The physical latching is done on either the CHAdeMO plug or the car's charge port. The adapter itself has no latching. But if you try to make a Supercharger adapter, the adapter must latch on the Supercharger side. So you now need to build a special adapter that not only has cabling and connectors that handle 2.5x the power (note how big/heavy those Supercharger plugs/cables are), but you must put logic and a latching mechanism into it. Otherwise you could simply pull the Supercharging cable away from the adapter during charging. Now Tesla has a pretty significant engineering project (it does have to be safe and fail proof) and a customer base of just you. After all, you can't drive a US car on a road trip to Europe, so there's no other use/need for such an adapter.

As for the maps, I can think of another problem. Maybe they are also linked to the Navigon map that is stored on-board? To store all roads in the world would be a giant waste of drive space, so I would expect the US spec car to just have N. America loaded on it. You certainly can't do navigation as the Navigon map is involved with the routing, so it may not be too far to say the Google map won't display without confirmation from Navigon on specific street location.

I've never heard of this $2,000 access code. But if true, make sure whoever is offering this service can update the local map and now that I think about it, reprogram the radio. In the US, FM radio stations have odd number frequencies (such as 100.3 FM). As a result, the radio will not tune into the Europe even number frequencies. Again, no reason for Tesla to make this a user configuration as there's no need for a normal car's lifespan to have this changed and if owners changed it accidentally it could result in a service center visits on "bad radios".

• Like x 2
  15. Qurix

Qurix Member

OK.... Lets simply this... Other cars can Tesla can not... And this is stupid! ANd i know that guy that even change whole power system converting US to Europe. Beside i love this car and i can live with it. I bought it cheep. However car connects to internet but can not update maps with are free. DO YOU UNDERSTAND that!!!??? This is stupid stupid stupid!!! I can viev this free map on every phone i have but in Tesla model S i can not.

16. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I'm going to bring my US Spec S85D to Greece in a few years time. SInce I will only need it for max 180 days of the year I do not have to change the tail lights.

I simple MyFi adapter will provide internet to the car, if not turn by turn directions.

As for Charging, if you buy a Type 1 to Type 2 charging cable, you should be able to combine this with the J1772 adapter which will give you roughly 7kW of charging power. 230 V x 32 Amp or roughly 25 miles/hr of charging at European Type 2 stations.

I have also heard that the US-Spec ChAdeMo adapter can work with European ChAdeMo stations.

No Supercharging unfortunately, but for me my daily commute to work is 7 miles each way, and the beach is 3 miles from my summer home, so it's not a deal breaker for me.

I do agree with you that an adapter for the SuperCharger can be built, though I doubt Tesla would do so.

By the time I ship my car to Greece, it will be well out of warranty.

17. ChrisPDX

ChrisPDX Member

Other cars are not connected to a cloud computing system. As other manufactures start doing this, I have no doubt you will run into the same issues with them. Tesla being ahead of the curve has its pros/cons and this is clearly a con. Add in the fact the car is electric and designed to work on a different electrical grid with different plug standards, it adds even more complications to the mess.

I've already given one possible technical reason as to why the maps may not be working. It could be any number of other reasons why it won't work and you can't just oversimplify it and be upset at Tesla. If Google maps are really that important to you, I suggest getting an iPad and taping it to the dash. It will be cheaper and when it comes to GPS routing, probably work better anyway.

18. Qurix

Qurix Member

Yes and i said that there is no problem to make in the US Tesla maps that works in Europe but this require payping almost 2000USD for acces code. So that is not a matter for "technical reasons" as you said its matter of ripping customers for access code to make possibility to do that.

19. Qurix

Qurix Member

Beside i would really correct software of this car because simple chevrolet volt works better than this one. Who develop regenerative brake turn on form the screen? If you want to brake by generator you have to first find this function on screen !!! I can t believe it... If i want to turn off child block i have to do same... It should turn off on parking position to let my wife go out... This is something that pised me off more than maps... Also traction control its on set off and on... Also have to find it... If you want to do any power-slide first you have to find this on this ipad and turn it off then confirm :) hehehehehehhe i can not bealive it! Even doesnt have sport mode that alows you for little fun... But that ok ... thats technical reasons ... Also i dont know how to remote access to this car i can not find function on the web to register account... Every morning i have to go to cold car to hit it up for my children's maybe there is an option to turn it on form fob key ? Or they didnt develop this like chevrolet does...?

• Funny x 1
  20. drklain

drklain Member

Actually all those capabilities are there. It sounds like you have done something very non-standard -- imported a North America salvage car to Europe and are now complaining that things aren't working the way you expect them to and that you are having to find work arounds. Your best bet is to try and engage with both the salvaged tesla group and possibly those who have imported North American cars to other countries to try and benefit from their lessons learned.

It may just be me, but all of your posts seem to be complaints about the fact you can't get this very non-standard, salvage, North America model to work easily in Europe. If you really do have someone who can hack the car and make the software do what you want, you probably should pay him to do it, but I'd want to be really sure that person isn't lying to you about what he can do.