Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convince me on S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been considering a Model S since 2013, I literally go back and forth on it almost every single day. I have 2 model 3 reservations and currently have a 2 year lease on an i3 ending next summer. Looking to have an entertaining discussion on buying/leasing a model S60 now. The biggest hurdle is I'm cheap, currently we have no car payments other than the $200 lease payment on the i3 that pays for itself due to not having to drive our other two ICE cars those miles (gas, maintenance).

I chatted with Tesla this morning, thought maybe an inventory car would push the number down to where frugal me would make the jump, $600 a month seams to be the psychological barrier for me. I could do a stripped down 2 year lease but there are a few options I want, AP of course, panoramic roof, subzero package (can't live without heated seats). I would prefer either white, silver, or silver metallic paint. I'm not against the cloth interior but would prefer black leather.

this configuration pushes lease up to $700+ a month. Unfortunately the inventory cars are almost all higher spec so even though I could get a discount on those it would most likely push payment above ordering new.

This isn't a "can I afford it" issue, we are debt free other than our primary home and make multiple 6 figures a year. Frugal me struggles with the opportunity cost of buying a Model S vs keeping what we have until Model 3. Also, would I prefer to have a fully optioned Model 3 or a basic version of the Model S? First world problems.

The question between 60 and Model 3 is not that different from purchasing C-Class/E-Class or 3 Series/5 Series etc.
It all depends on your need. Do you need a larger car with that much more trunk space and rear seat comfort? Do you need that much more performance? Do you need that much more range?
The 60 will most likely have a higher range than the top spec Model 3 because the 60 can be charged to 100% all the time thanks to the locked 15kwh as a hidden reserve. Model 3 will have a much smaller battery on the other hand. Even with a smaller body and better aero, the range will still be less (probably around 180 rate miles at 90%).
You also get to drive the S for at least 2 more years.
Also, I probably wouldn't want to purchase a Model 3 the first year it comes out just because the history of 1st year launch issue that had plagued S and X.

It sounds like you have already convinced yourself. I've had a 60 for almost 3.5 years and it has been pretty good. There is no basic version of the S, it comes standard with pretty much everything you need. Sure there are a few fancy things you can add on, but I am also quite frugal in nature, and I don't miss them. The only think I wish I had was autopilot, but not having it doesn't bother me. Don't forget to remind your frugal self to snag somebody's $1000 savings code!

I was a model 3 res holder but I switched to the S60 because:

1. It's available now
2. It's a bigger car with a hatchback.
3. Most kinks/issues have been worked out. It had many problems early on..same with the model X. I assume model 3 will have issues early on as well.
4. The question "fully optioned 3 or base model s?"...a base model S isn't really a base car at all. It's fast, looks the same on the exterior as a $145,000 and is a great car.
5. I don't think the model 3 will be as nice of a car as the model S. I compare it to a Bmw 3 series/BMT 5series, or any "model down" sedan. You can get it fully optioned to be a sweet vehicle, but it's still the cheaper vehicle just with more bells and whistles.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
You will very happy with a base Model S. It is so far ahead of everything else on the road. You'll still have over the air updates, autopilot, instant acceleration, supercharging, etc. Get into a Tesla as soon as you can, you will NOT regret it!

btw, Like the 'first world problems' comment. Puts life in perspective.... as well as appreciation for what we have/could have. Kudos!

Similar situation, sitting on (2) model 3 reservations. Visited factory already, test drove mid range S. What's going to nudge us towards the S will be:

- Safety. Physics applies, bigger is more crash space. Heavier helps. For those who disbelieve, go youtube video a small vs a large car offset crash test, where both cars have all the modern safety features.
- Build and engineering kinks worked out more on the S.
- Tax break might exhaust / diminish. Key word, might.

I have a feeling though it's a win win - waiting for the 3 you'll spend a bit less money and still have a great EV. Or if you get an S60, you'll like it too. There's really no bad decision here. Which is precisely where we all want to be in life, no?

I think @jzhan makes a good point. I would avoid the Model 3 until for the first 1 or 2 years of production until issues are sorted out. That puts you out 3-4 years of the Tesla experience.

The other thing about S60 is that it has the 75 kWh battery. Just not going to get that with the 3. If you're holding the car for a long time, will probably be able to unlock that add'l capacity later on down the line and not worry about battery degradation.

I have had one for a week and was very hesitant versus waiting for my 3 reservation.

With cost and seeing if it was worth the jump up but after I did a test drive, tested the space and needs for my family, and enjoyed the fit and finish of something I can see and touch right now, I never looked back.

It's been the best week I have ever had in a vehicle of any type and it gets better every single day.

I will keep my bumped up 3 reservation now and give it to my wife after she tries to steal my S from me all the time now. :)

Go for it!!

Reactions: gavine
Have you had a test drive? Tesla is sometimes giving serious customers overnight or weekend test drives, too. After that, you'll be convinced. :)

That was the best and the worst decision I have made in recent memory. Had a test drive this past Saturday AM and asked for a over night test drive. Which they asked if I was serious about buying, which I was. Had it for 24 hours and its probably the most fun I have had in a car and probably the best car I've driven. Talk about a decision being made for you :)

Drove my ICE car this morning to work and wow!! the difference, trying to accelerate was different (no instant power), tried driving with one pedal that didn't work. lol.

All I can say is im waiting for AP 2.0 :) Doubt I could wait for M3.

That was the best and the worst decision I have made in recent memory. Had a test drive this past Saturday AM and asked for a over night test drive. Which they asked if I was serious about buying, which I was. Had it for 24 hours and its probably the most fun I have had in a car and probably the best car I've driven. Talk about a decision being made for you :)

Drove my ICE car this morning to work and wow!! the difference, trying to accelerate was different (no instant power), tried driving with one pedal that didn't work. lol.

Yeah, you do want to make sure you have the finances together before taking an extended test drive. I only took two short ones - once in an S to experiment with AP and see if I'd be comfortable with the S, then again in an X to see if it was that much better.

I'm in the same category with Cnasty right now - I got my X four days ago (after a four month wait from the test drives and ordering) and I'm loving it more by the minute.

Front seat heaters come standard. Sub zero adds rear heated seats and a couple other things

Thanks, I had forgot about that. Question is do I need the rear heaters for my 14 year old daughter. Our current 335d does not have rear heaters, I think making her suffer builds character too.

Some new information has come to light since I started this thread. I had been a little concerned that I had not received the "reservation gift" for reserving my model 3's yet my mother in law received her's a while back and she reserved long after we did. I confirmed my reservations in "my tesla" within a few days after placing them but heard stories of some people with multiple reservations getting accidentally refunded when confused with scalpers. I contacted Tesla and to my surprise my reservations are gone, no record of them. Good news is I have bank statements showing I paid (just started thread in model 3 forum about this) so I'm not worried about the cash, just my place in line. This may force my hand on getting a model S.

To answer above questions, I have test driven twice (and bought a pile of stock after the first test drive in early 2013 ;)).

The other delima I now have is after going through inventory I see a couple of 2013 CPO P85's that have I think every option for ~60k in the colors I want. I would be giving up AP and seat heaters but would be getting a lot more for less money. I live in a rural area and do not have "divided highways" so I'm not sure how much AP would be missed (assuming I only use it as intended)? I know it's not recommended for undivided mountain roads where we drive 95% of the time. enjoying the discussion, thanks.

Welcome.

Thanks, I had forgot about that. Question is do I need the rear heaters for my 14 year old daughter. Our current 335d does not have rear heaters, I think making her suffer builds character too.

Some new information has come to light since I started this thread. I had been a little concerned that I had not received the "reservation gift" for reserving my model 3's yet my mother in law received her's a while back and she reserved long after we did. I confirmed my reservations in "my tesla" within a few days after placing them but heard stories of some people with multiple reservations getting accidentally refunded when confused with scalpers. I contacted Tesla and to my surprise my reservations are gone, no record of them. Good news is I have bank statements showing I paid (just started thread in model 3 forum about this) so I'm not worried about the cash, just my place in line. This may force my hand on getting a model S.

To answer above questions, I have test driven twice (and bought a pile of stock after the first test drive in early 2013 ;)).

The other delima I now have is after going through inventory I see a couple of 2013 CPO P85's that have I think every option for ~60k in the colors I want. I would be giving up AP and seat heaters but would be getting a lot more for less money. I live in a rural area and do not have "divided highways" so I'm not sure how much AP would be missed (assuming I only use it as intended)? I know it's not recommended for undivided mountain roads where we drive 95% of the time. enjoying the discussion, thanks.

I wouldn't give up AP for anything. It's great now, and will only get better. Even if you don't trust the automatic steering, the adaptive cruise control is really useful, and there are a bunch of safety technologies tied up in it (automatic braking, lane departure warnings, emergency steering when someone comes charging into your lane.)

AP is the killer feature of a Model S in my opinion. You will use it more than you think, especially in bumper to bumper traffic and on the highway. This is not easily ascertained on a 24 hr overnight test drive. I would not purchase a Model S without AP, if at all possible.