Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convince me to install a Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our car is scheduled for delivery July 6-July 26. I haven't ordered a Wall Connector yet as they were out of of stock (just restocked this morning).
We have a 240v outlet (NEMA 14-30) in our garage. I drive about 50 miles 3 days a week and 100 miles 2 days a week. I can charge my car at the office.
How would it benefit me to have a Wall Connector at my home?

Our car is scheduled for delivery July 6-July 26. I haven't ordered a Wall Connector yet as they were out of of stock (just restocked this morning).
We have a 240v outlet (NEMA 14-30) in our garage. I drive about 50 miles 3 days a week and 100 miles 2 days a week. I can charge my car at the office.
Don't bother.

Upvote 0
There are few tangible benefits to installing the Wall Connector in your scenario. Your existing 14-30 receptacle will enable charging at 240V/24A (80% of the maximum rating for the circuit, as per code) This will enable you to add between 18 and 20 miles of range to the Model Y per hour. 50 miles would be ~2.5 hours, 100 miles would take ~5 hours. I wouldn't look any further.

The Gen3 Wall Connector would enable you to charge faster. You would have to change the wiring and circuit breaker (it might less expensive just to run new wire) to be able to charge at 32A/40A/48A. A 40A, 50A or 60A circuit would enable faster charging versus the current 30A charging circuit (limited to charging at 24A.)

The Gen3 Wall Connector is weather rated, can get wet. This is not applicable since you plan to charge inside your home garage.

The Gen3 Wall Connector supports load balancing. This enables up to 4 Wall Connector units to share a single circuit.

The Gen3 Wall Connector installation is less cluttered.

I would suggest using the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector that comes with the Tesla Model Y. Purchase the Tesla NEMA 14-30 power plug adapter ($35) from the Tesla online store.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Also consider purchasing the Tesla Cable Organizer ($35) or similar cable organizer from Amazon, etc. The Cable Organizer includes a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis. This takes the weight of the Mobile Connector chassis and charging cord off of the power plug pigtail. (Do not to leave the Mobile Connector hanging supported by just the receptacle and the power plug pigtail.)

Cable Organizer

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In your case, the only reason to consider the Wall Connector is that it might be cheap. There is currently a 30% tax credit (up to $1,000 maximum credit), so that knocks off $150, and many utilities offer rebates for installing a home charger. In our area that is $250 which would make the cost of the Wall Connector just $100, of course you will need to check your area. You can then replace your 14-30 outlet with the Wall Connector - your car won’t charge any faster of course, but it looks cooler and you can leave the mobile connector in the car.

Also, if you chose to run a 60-amp circuit to the Wall Connector that too is eligible for the tax credit. IRS Form 8911.

Upvote 0
Zero benefit. Waste of money, use the EVSE that came with the car with the 14-30 adapter (order one if you haven't already) and it will meet all of your needs. Shoot, the basic 120V 15 amp adapter it comes with would meet your needs.

Keith

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
If you plan on buying another EV anytime soon it may be beneficial to buy the wall connector due to the tax credit. We have a Bolt and the MY. Originally I was planning on just using the mobile connector for both vehicles but realized if I leave for a week, there is no remaining 240V EVSE for the Bolt. Later realized I could wire the OEM Bolt EVSE for 240 to charge a little faster than 120, but the wall connector was in at that point.

Upvote 0
If you plan on buying another EV anytime soon it may be beneficial to buy the wall connector due to the tax credit. We have a Bolt and the MY. Originally I was planning on just using the mobile connector for both vehicles but realized if I leave for a week, there is no remaining 240V EVSE for the Bolt. Later realized I could wire the OEM Bolt EVSE for 240 to charge a little faster than 120, but the wall connector was in at that point.

I see a lot of dual citizens here (Bolt and Tesla) :D I installed a ChargePoint 32 amp L2 when I got the Bolt and I will use that for both cars as needed. My wife doesn't drive very much, so the Bolt will be 90% charged just sitting there much of the time and I have Charging at work. If I need to top of the MYP on the weekend I can unplug the Bolt and drag the charge cord to the other side of the garage for my MY :) If we were to take a vacation that doesn't involve driving the MY, I will break out the mobile connector and 120V 15 amp adapter and plug in the MY on that for battery thermal protection.

Keith

Upvote 0
Reactions: AquaY
Upvote 0
It looks really cool hanging on your wall!!

This here is actually the only reason, given the stated use of the car and current existence of a 240v plug in a location that can charge the car anyway. Note, there isnt anything wrong with "it looks cool" as a reason, but there certainly is zero reason to "convince OP" about getting one.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Upvote 0
True story. Had my M3 for about a week. Charged to 90% overnight and the next morning had to drive 120 to pick up someone at the airport. After being home about 2 hours, got a call about free tickets to baseball game and everyone wanted to take the Tesla. Baseball stadium, 75 miles each way. Thank goodness I had the wall connector and was wired for the full 11kw charging. This time charged it 100% and away we went to the ball game.

(At 80 mph you don't get the rated range on your car, you lose 30%).

Had it been a Nema 14-50, no way could I have recharged fast enough. We would have taken someone's ICE vehicle.

You can plan for slower charging every day but sometimes, you need a quicker charge. And why wait 20 mins or longer at a SuperCharger and pay 2x-4x as much?

Upvote 0
I had a 6-20 in my garage before I got my Y. Bought the adapter for $35 and decided to use that and see how I liked it.
Charges 15 mph which has been plenty and I see no reason for upgrading.
I also have a summer house where I can only charge with 110.
That I will be upgrading to equal my other house.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Upvote 0
Sounds like op can do the bulk of his charging at work (granted it's high enough amperage) so the 14-30 would be fine for home use. Hell it's fine for most use cases anyways. Gen2 mobile user on a dryer outlet, checking in. We hardly drive at all and have to come up with reasons to drive so a 30amp outlet is more than enough.

Upvote 0
In your case, the only reason to consider the Wall Connector is that it might be cheap. There is currently a 30% tax credit (up to $1,000 maximum credit), so that knocks off $150, and many utilities offer rebates for installing a home charger. In our area that is $250 which would make the cost of the Wall Connector just $100, of course you will need to check your area. You can then replace your 14-30 outlet with the Wall Connector - your car won’t charge any faster of course, but it looks cooler and you can leave the mobile connector in the car.

Also, if you chose to run a 60-amp circuit to the Wall Connector that too is eligible for the tax credit. IRS Form 8911.

Great to know about GA! My wife and I are moving to the Alpharetta area next year. While I'm here asking, what's your recommendation on electric company providers in the greater Atlanta area (if one does get to choose your provider)? Also is gas/electric relatively cheap in GA or does get expensive? Up here in NJ we're pretty limited with provider choices unless you go off the grid with solar.

Upvote 0
Great to know about GA! My wife and I are moving to the Alpharetta area next year. While I'm here asking, what's your recommendation on electric company providers in the greater Atlanta area (if one does get to choose your provider)? Also is gas/electric relatively cheap in GA or does get expensive? Up here in NJ we're pretty limited with provider choices unless you go off the grid with solar.

As far as I know both the Federal Tax Credit and Georgia Power rebates end on 12/31/21. You do not get to pick you electricity provider, but you do get to choose your gas provider. I have a time of use plan and get my power from a co-op. During the summer I pay 17.8 cents / kW from 3-8 pm weekdays, otherwise it is 7.4 cents / kW during off-peak and during the winter months, plus a service charge of $25 / month.

Here Is link to Georgia Power Pricing and Rate Plans | For Your Home

As to Gas, you will find this useful: Gas Marketers Pricing Comparison

• Helpful
Reactions: Trip McNealy
Upvote 0