Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

convince me why i should keep my model 3 order and not get a model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will be fine until the kid gets to be a larger teenager. Even then, you will survive. Car should be fine unless you go camping and stuff like that where you need the room. I wouldn't change until you have a problem. How is it today? What if the Model Y never came out, would you change? Personally I would stay with the 3 and save your $ for college :)

Either vehicle would be fine. Model 3 has a ton of storage space. Model Y has more.

If the model 3 has enough space, then it's down to driving position. Sedan or small SUV and if you are willing to wait for the Y production to catch up with delivery.

if your not in a hurry.. Test drive both.

Yes, I am trying for the least helpful post of the year award.. :D But IMHO they are essentially the same vehicle with different suspension / trunk. I may have stringer opinions after test driving the Y (My wife wants one, haven't ordered it yet, but now that the order fee is down to $100 I am tempted).

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: jpfive and Char
With a family of 3 or 4, either the 3 or Y is a good car. It comes down to personal preference. They Y has a little more room and sits up higher off the road which would help visibility, which in places like Texas where everyone seems to drive a truck, would be beneficial. The hatchback with more cargo room could also be a plus if your carrying kids sporting equipment or other larger items. The Y has less efficiency, which will be a little less range, but probably not enough to be a factor. The 3 will be a little more fun to drive because its a smaller sports car like vehicle.

Reactions: LowBattery
In my case, it came down to two reasons, although they may not apply to you:
  1. I can't wait for the Model Y to come out because my current car is probably on its last legs
  2. I wanted to save about $4000 or so
The first may not be relevant to you, but the second is more likely to be. But to each their own. :)

With a family of 3 or 4, either the 3 or Y is a good car. It comes down to personal preference. They Y has a little more room and sits up higher off the road which would help visibility, which in places like Texas where everyone seems to drive a truck, would be beneficial. The hatchback with more cargo room could also be a plus if your carrying kids sporting equipment or other larger items. The Y has less efficiency, which will be a little less range, but probably not enough to be a factor. The 3 will be a little more fun to drive because its a smaller sports car like vehicle.
Actually the Y now has 315 mile range. Just got bumped up.

With a growing family, always go for more room. School activities, sports, work around the house, heck ,grocery shopping is easier. I'd go for the Y hands down.

We've done weekends away in the mountains with all of us in our 3 (2 adults, 2 kids). We fit everything in easily, I even boast we fit 2 (inflatable) kayaks in too... One in frunk, one in the lower storage of the trunk - we even laughed as we drove up passing Subarus and Jeeps with kayaks on the roof racks!

Reactions: Tron 3
Actually the Y now has 315 mile range. Just got bumped up.

With a growing family, always go for more room. School activities, sports, work around the house, heck ,grocery shopping is easier. I'd go for the Y hands down.

Thats EPA testing that got bumped up. My 2020 Model 3 AWD said 322 miles on the website when I bought it, it displays 310, but I actually get less than that, so I would take that range with a grain of salt.

If the car is just for you, Model 3 makes for a very fun to drive vehicle and it would be recommended. Considering that you are buying a car for the family and you are considering the Y, you owe it to yourself to really consider all the benefits that come with a bigger vehicle. The Model Y makes for a better utilitarian type of vehicle that I feel will meet your needs IMO.

Am I the only one that thinks the Y is kinda ugly? The short front and higher height makes it look goofy. The 3 is more proportioned, imo...

I think it is a little bit of a paradigm in my brain. The reason I say this is the Model X has the same issue. Looks bubble like. But maybe that is the best overall design for function. Have you ever been in an X? They are amazing inside. I think the Y will have that similar feel. I think we are used to longer sleeker cars. In reality though, with EV's especially, the designs are not as constrained. I think we will see a shift away from the longer hood. Simply isn't needed.