Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

convince me why i should keep my model 3 order and not get a model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one that thinks the Y is kinda ugly? The short front and higher height makes it look goofy. The 3 is more proportioned, imo...

You aren't the only one. I was reading through, planning to reply that the biggest reason for me would be that the Model 3 looks significantly better. I don't think that hatch looks all that useful so I think the additional storage space will be minimal. Additionally, I prefer the ride height and handling of a car vs. a crossover.

I would distill it to the following: Do you want a Crossover or a Car? The model 3 is a bit less expensive as well. How much do you value that ride height and hatch?

The model 3 does seem a little on the smallish side and I would certainly welcome a bigger vehicle. I don't necessarily need the cargo space, though. I'm wondering how much of a difference there will be in handling between the two cars. If the model Y is a huge dropoff, i have no desire for the vehicle. BUt if the model y handles close to the 3, (we already know that its about .4 secs slower in the 0-60 so its a comparable speed), then it becomes a more intriguing proposition.

The model 3 does seem a little on the smallish side and I would certainly welcome a bigger vehicle. I don't necessarily need the cargo space, though. I'm wondering how much of a difference there will be in handling between the two cars. If the model Y is a huge dropoff, i have no desire for the vehicle. BUt if the model y handles close to the 3, (we already know that its about .4 secs slower in the 0-60 so its a comparable speed), then it becomes a more intriguing proposition.
Unless you're regularly moving a lot of stuff or stuff that is large, the Model 3 should be fine. I find the Model 3 is larger than it looks. Personally, I have 2 kids and used a Ford Focus for many years. Eventually replaced it with a Fiesta. Most of the time the cars are used for moving people from place to place; not a lot of stuff. Since you have an SUV, that could be used when you really need the space. Now, if you're planning to get rid of the SUV, then you may want to consider the Y.

Since performance is a consideration, a Model 3 or Model Y is going to perform significantly better than your typical ICE car since most of the weight is down low and the electric motors produce more initial torque. However, if you are looking for the most performance out of the two, Model 3 is going to be better.

I am also in the Y is ugly group, my personal opinion of course. I even think the Model 3 looks bad when you look at it straight on over the front hood. I quite often see model 3's from a distance and think they are a VW beetle at first (not exactly flattering IMO). But all other angles I like, and everything else about the car I love, so I placed an order. Having said all that, Elon did say that the Y will be even bigger than the 10% size increase he said when it launched. He also alluded to it having other features that we will be impressed by that we don't know about yet. Not a direct quote obviously but from my memory that is what he said. So we might see some new tech/features in the Y which you might want to consider.

If you are going to be driving the 3 the most and without the kids, I would get the 3. If you are going to keep your Acura SUV parked cause you love driving the 3 so much, thereby ending up driving with the kids much more, then I think I would lean towards the Y for function. But again, I don't dig the looks so I'd have to have a lot of "function" needs to get me over the looks of the Y and to give up the zippy handling of the 3. Then again, I am kind of a jerk, so I would probably take the Acura to kids functions where it might be crowded school parking lots and cramped door banging soccer field parking lots. And then when I am on my own, drive the sweet ride lol.

I don't think my too much coffee rambling helped you at all. But hey, at least you are in a good spot being fortunate enough to afford either. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with the 3 or the Y.

If you can wait that long for delivery, get the Y. I needed a car right away, so I got the 3. But if not, I probably would have waited for the Y.

Your resale will probably be better with a SUV considering that's what everyone wants. Plus with the kids, the SUV makes sense.

Do you want to drive a vehicle that is low and sleek or high and bloated?

The Model 3 has so much room. In my car, all of it is unoccupied. I simply commute in it 99.9% of the time. If I ever have to fill it up with stuff, that will be no issue at all.

Y costs a little more, little more space (do you really need the space you think you need, I think not)

I'm waiting to see how the Y is in real-world terms with efficiency. I wonder how much better the smaller 3 will be in terms of range. I have the LR RWD so the 325m range is king for me, but the Y is kinda cool for bigger families. I'm kinda torn on the back end of it though.

Here's a rendering of the Model Y hatch, both with rear seats up and then down vs. the Model 3 trunk. The increased ease of loading large objects into the Y should be readily apparent.

ModelYhatch.png
Model3trunk.jpg
ModelY-3D-Render-Rear-Side-Profile.jpg

I'm excited to see all the M3's traded in. I'm thinking I might find a good deal on a P3D and upgrade from my LR. :) Everyone should go get a Y! :p

this! I wouldn’t trade my Model 3 for a Y because I think its a horrible looking car. However, I am in the market for a used Tesla, (S, X or P3d haven't decided yet) so maybe there will be opportunities to pickup a P3d from the used inventory.

Tesla has not released any figures for how many deposits they have taken for the Model Y. My guess is that it’s a substantial number. We also don’t know how long it will take them to ramp up production. So it’s anyone’s guess when you might get a Model Y if you place an order today. But I wouldn’t count on getting one in the next 12 months if you are just placing the order today. I have to think there is a substantial backlog of orders lined up and waiting.

It’s odd because they were very public about how many reservations they had for the Model 3, and even the Cybertruck. Yet they have been completely silent on the Model Y.

struggling with the decision. we are a family of 3 with a 4 year old (no plans for more kids)

Pros for model 3:
-- Cheaper to buy, might be cheaper to insure
-- Better range (though they just tweaked the Y range, but I wonder about the "real world" range w/o aero wheels etc)
-- Handling and performance? (though this is TBD for model Y)
-- Production kinks pretty much ironed out

Pros for model Y:
-- Somewhat more interior space, for for a family of 3 do you really need it?
-- Higher ride height is a bit better for kids looking out the window
-- New car = potential production kinks for early adopters
-- Head-turns while the new car is still a novelty (important for some people I guess)

If it were me and I was buying now I'd stick to M3. If the model Y advantages swing you, I would still wait for a few months (at least) of production to see if Tesla have stuff figured out. Remember for ANY car (ICE or EV) its always higher rick to buy a car in first year of production.