Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

convince me why i should keep my model 3 order and not get a model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive around regularly in my 3 with a 5 YO and a 3YO. They fit fine. I guess it depends on how much space you need? I think either will work for you but if you want more space get the Y. If you are looking at the Performance trims I would go 3 because it will perform better and be big enough. If you are are single motor or regular dual I would just go by space needed.

Imagine that in most all ways, the Y will be better for a family.

While sedans are the prettier choice, the world has spoken and most all are deciding on cross over SUVs as the prefered choice.

Logic would say the 4 door sedan is the better choice. More nimble, faster, cheaper, more fuel efficient and certainly good enough, but when Mom gets into the picture, the SUV walks away. Better visibility, easier to enter/exit/load the kids. Carry much more stuff for Costco runs, sports gear. Love the hatch back more than a trunk. If Tesla made a MiniVan, that would be even a more appealing choice. Dads like them too, for carrying golf clubs, spare tires, camping stuff, cases of beer.

I knew I made the right choice when I was shopping for a Hobie Kayak. Lady was selling two of them and offered me a great price if I would buy them both. Shoved them both into my X. Passenger sat in the back as well, and it cemented that I had made a wish choice getting the SUV :)

4 door sedans are dying for most manufacturers in N. America. While they look better than most SUV's, they don't sell nearly as well.

Enjoy your new Y.

I opted to for the 3 vs Y for the following reasons:

1) We already have a ICE Mid Size SUV. My loves her X6 and not going to give it up for the Y (not convinced yet).
2) For me it is easier to get in and out of the 3 (I am 6'1")
3) Driving dynamics the 3 is more nimble vs SUV
4) Just not really hot on the overall Y look. Maybe it will grown on me and mrs. but not sure just yet. (I hate that the Y gets Gemini wheels, I wish my 3 did).

I fit both my 9yo's in the back seat wife in front and there are no issues with interior room.
The Truck is spacious enough to fit luggage (one large, one medium, carry on tote bag, and back pack easily)
Frunk I store towels, blankets, rear lower I store portable charger, first aid kit and portable air pump.

The range estimates on the Tesla website is a bit liberal IMHO, especially for those of us commuting driving streets and fwy with traffic etc. If just highway no real stops or traffic, you can cruise and you can squeeze out some great range out of the Tesla's.