Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convince parent to buy Model X over another Gas car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dad proposed to me this idea of letting me buy his 2018 Mercedes GLC AMG Edition 1 for $40k. It's obvious just an offer b/c I'm his kid as I believe he paid around $110k new for this car. The car looks really cool and I've gotten a lot of attention with that car b/c it looks like a car out of a video game. But I really hate how gas cars drives in general, I feel they are inferior to the way EVs / Teslas drive. If I have that Mercedes, it be cool, but I still rather have a Tesla Model X for the kind of money my dad will spend on cars. Gas is too expensive, so it will be a deterrent for me to wanna drive that car long distance.

My dad wants to buy a Range Rover Defender, approx a $100k car. And I guess to justify buying it, he wants to sell the GLC AMG to me for $40k. The only thing I don't really enjoy about the car is that it drives on gas, has no autopilot, its very noisy, I get tired faster driving it, no regenerate braking meaning I have to switch my foot to brakes more. Just so many little things about the Tesla made it much more convenient to drive a car long distance and not worry about being tired. Also I hate the idea of stopping for gas, it is so convenient to charge the Tesla at home and most commutes from OC to LA will make it back without needing a charge. I feel not stopping at a gas station for the past 3 years has really added up in saved commute hours. I wouldn't mind having it, maybe it will be a cool weekend car.

I don't really understand why my dad wants to continue buying gas cars. Even if he thinks $6-10 gallon gas isn't a big deal, the hassle to stop by a gas station is annoying because if you go home with an empty gas tank, it won't fill itself back up. And gas stations are targets for theft to happen, like card skimmers or people just taking stuff outta your car. Or very aggressive pan handlers. Even the nicest gas station in the OC area will have an aggressive pan handler. I never seen a supercharger have pan handlers which is nice, maybe because no one ever takes out a wallet there.

Especially for me driving far out for arcades, the Tesla makes sense for me to chase jackpots around the LA area because some games will reach their max payouts and won't give out anymore jackpots, so I gotta go commute to another location to try get all those jackpots until all the jackpots are given out from it. Or I may simply may try hope to find prizes I want. If I had to do that with a gas car, to chase jackpots or arcade prizes, it won't be worth it anymore.

My dad proposed to me this idea of letting me buy his 2018 Mercedes GLC AMG Edition 1 for $40k. It's obvious just an offer b/c I'm his kid as I believe he paid around $110k new for this car. The car looks really cool and I've gotten a lot of attention with that car b/c it looks like a car out of a video game. But I really hate how gas cars drives in general, I feel they are inferior to the way EVs / Teslas drive. If I have that Mercedes, it be cool, but I still rather have a Tesla Model X for the kind of money my dad will spend on cars. Gas is too expensive, so it will be a deterrent for me to wanna drive that car long distance.

My dad wants to buy a Range Rover Defender, approx a $100k car. And I guess to justify buying it, he wants to sell the GLC AMG to me for $40k. The only thing I don't really enjoy about the car is that it drives on gas, has no autopilot, its very noisy, I get tired faster driving it, no regenerate braking meaning I have to switch my foot to brakes more. Just so many little things about the Tesla made it much more convenient to drive a car long distance and not worry about being tired. Also I hate the idea of stopping for gas, it is so convenient to charge the Tesla at home and most commutes from OC to LA will make it back without needing a charge. I feel not stopping at a gas station for the past 3 years has really added up in saved commute hours. I wouldn't mind having it, maybe it will be a cool weekend car.

I don't really understand why my dad wants to continue buying gas cars. Even if he thinks $6-10 gallon gas isn't a big deal, the hassle to stop by a gas station is annoying because if you go home with an empty gas tank, it won't fill itself back up. And gas stations are targets for theft to happen, like card skimmers or people just taking stuff outta your car. Or very aggressive pan handlers. Even the nicest gas station in the OC area will have an aggressive pan handler. I never seen a supercharger have pan handlers which is nice, maybe because no one ever takes out a wallet there.

Especially for me driving far out for arcades, the Tesla makes sense for me to chase jackpots around the LA area because some games will reach their max payouts and won't give out anymore jackpots, so I gotta go commute to another location to try get all those jackpots until all the jackpots are given out from it. Or I may simply may try hope to find prizes I want. If I had to do that with a gas car, to chase jackpots or arcade prizes, it won't be worth it anymore.

I don't know how that particular GLC is configured, but I took a guess and Kelly Blue Book suggests the current private party value is $52K - $56K (for a non Edition 1), with trade-in being a few thousand below that. Have you considered buying the GLC from your dad, then immediately selling it and buying a Model 3 standard range for yourself? Let your dad do his thing while you do yours. Maybe after having experienced your Tesla first hand, he'll decide to get one.

Last edited:
Get your dad in for a Tesla test drive, may change his mind once he feels how precise EV accel and deceleration is.
Have you considered buying the GLC from your dad, then immediately selling it and buying a Model 3 standard range for yourself? Let your dad do his thing while you do yours. Maybe after having experienced your Tesla first hand, he'll decide to get one.

I'm unclear about the OP's car history and inventory but a year ago, he claimed at Test driving Model Y as Model 3 owner he owned an '18 Model 3.

I remember being participating in one of his threads at No supercharging in Bakersfield CA?.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ngng and Big Earl
Reactions: cwerdna
I don't know how that particular GLC is configured, but I took a guess and Kelly Blue Book suggests the current private party value is $52K - $56K (for a non Edition 1), with trade-in being a few thousand below that. Have you considered buying the GLC from your dad, then immediately selling it and buying a Model 3 standard range for yourself? Let your dad do his thing while you do yours. Maybe after having experienced your Tesla first hand, he'll decide to get one.

Pretty sure it's a 2018 Mercedes AMG GLC 63 Edition 1. The reason my dad brought up this idea was because I'm doing what Lionel Hutz does for a living to the Simpsons. And he thinks I can get something from it.

I already have a Model 3.

1647931734223.png
1647931702969.png