Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convincing My Dad PLEASE HELP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i am probably the youngest person on this forum. my dad is a small time car colector and owns many cool cars and he currently drives a 2013 m5 as a daily driving. my sisters have been visiting collage so hes been driving around a lot and it already has 40k miles after 11 months. So now he is car shopping. We have been to tesla 3 times in westchester ny and today we took out a 85kwh (asked for a p85 but idk) anyways he really enjoyed the car and everything but to him its just a big golf cart and he doesn't see how its better than anything else. For some reason he thinks that it is expensive when his car cost 10k more and he can save 16k more a year lol. im 13 and my dad owns a company but were not insanely wealthily so money is not a obstacle but he does thin about stuff like that. he is also currently in a lawsuit so he is very stressed. i need to get some advice on how to get him to purchase the car and get the tesla grin on his face as soon as possible. also he has some illusion that he needs awd for ct conditions, and i know alot more about cars than hi especially tesla.

Sounds like you've done all you can. While I can see not wanting a powerful RWD car in CT, he already has one so I'm not sure how valid that is. However, most of all, he drove it and wasn't impressed. He's already in an essentially brand new M5 he'd take a big hit on if he sold, and apparently has outstanding legal concerns. I'd let it drop.

thanks guys, well my dad needs to buy a new car and he wants a e63 or m6 gran coupe but i really want him to get a model s. its not that he wasn't impressed, he actually loved it a lot and had a giant tesla grin the whole time its just he doesn't see the whole tesla point of an electric car and stuff. i guess I've done all i can do, is there anything that will sell him? he owns a financial company or something like that so he knows all about the stock but the thing is he doesn't get why the stock is up if tesla isn't making money so he thinks that tesla will go by by. and hes been in a law suit with a huge company for 11 years, isn't ending any time soon. and he has no legal problems, he sued a company because they stole like 1 bilion dollars worth of clients or something like that from his company.

- - - Updated - - -

also he doesnt like how the m5 does in the snow because im not kidding he doesnt know what snow tires are and he uses summer low profile tires in the winter lol. he doesn't get that tires affect snow more than awd.

Find an argument you think will appeal to him since you know him best. Maybe it is national security since the car uses 100% American energy and doesn't depend on foreign oil. Maybe the fact that the car is the safest car built or that it is built in the US will make a difference. Since he seems to like performance cars the P85+ should appeal to him.

Definitely have him get good winter tires like the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires as that will make a huge difference. Driving summer tires on ice is not ideal.

yah, also the problem is he doesn't even know how to use a iphone or mac, the only thing electronic that he can use is the tv to watch football and a black berry so the concept of the car being a giant computer is a little against his skills. anyways he likes safety (well he does drive like a maniac) and i guess he likes how its all american but that wont sell a 120k car. he also drives a radical sr8 so yah he likes performance lol. i just need to find a big selling point for him. He really enjoyed how comfterble it is and how it handles very well even without it being p85 or p85+. saftey might be the selling point, maybe the fact he will never have to buy gas or he will save 16k a year. i still need to find a selling point tho.

You've got all the major selling points. Saving $16,000 a year might be a high estimate but even if it is only $8,000 a year that is a tremendous savings. Many non-computer people drive the Model S and have no problems with it. My parent's don't use computers that much and have had no problems figuring out the Model S.

If he’s looking for a new car (e63 or m6 gran coupe), I guess whatever stress he’s been under lately isn’t impacting his financials in any way that can have an affect on his car collection…

So, since your dad seems to be a car guy, and since his daily driver is a BMW M5 (and he also owns a radical), a good handling car is probably important. And there are a lot of stories on this forum about how the P85+ apparently handles noticeably better than all the other versions. So getting him into a P85+ for a test drive seems to be one thing that can get him to really want the car.

I’m guessing you've seen the video were it beets the M5 in a drag race:

Tesla Model S vs BMW M5 Drag Race - YouTube

And I’m also guessing that a car that’s equipped to your fathers liking could help. So I’m guessing he might prefer a car which has the Extended Nappa Leather Trim and the parking sensors, so he can try these out if he want to. …And the Ultra High Fidelity Sound, the Premium Interior Lighting, the carbon fiber spoiler, the fog lamps, the Subzero Weather Package and of course the sunroof.

And I have a feeling he might prefer the alcantara headliner. Alcantara is basically ‘just’ plastic though (about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane)…

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)

I think i have a plan, i will slowly every day send short emails to him with 1 fact or picture of the model s till he gets hooked. he has seen every single model s color but has not seen black leather with red accents or carbon which is the combo i like. his friends also own model s and they all love it so that may help. and it is 8k savings per 15k miles for a against a m5 i believe so 30k which is average even tho my dad works a mile away or at our house so he would save 16k

- - - Updated - - -

the car we were in had parking sensors, alcantara, and ultra sound and pretyy much maxed out. he was disapointed about teh sound coming from ban and olufson and i did explain to him what alcantara is even though most of his cars uses it.

First of all, let me say that I'm sold on TSLA completely. Making plans for a MS in '14 and have a reservation on a MX (fate TBD).

HOWEVER, I also have a 13 year old son who's into cars.

Here's my advice: DROP IT.
You've said your piece, he's driven the car(s) and he's obviously unmoved. Leave the man be. Don't be a pest. Don't be a nag. Let him come to his own conclusions. You might be a car genius but you've got ZILCH in life experience. I love my son too, but he's not going to tell me what to buy with my hard-earned money-- IN FACT, I might consider doing the opposite if I thought it would be a profound enough lesson for him to remember his place.
You might just be your position's own worst advocate simply by being vocal about it.

I agree you should take Newscutter’s advice under consideration. Influencing parents can be tricky business…

There is however the most ultimate rational argument of them all (In My Opinion): Man Made Global Warming.

An electric car has much lower CO2 emissions than an fossil fuel driven car like an M5, e63, m6 gran coupe or a radical sr8. (CO2 is short for carbon dioxide, and is a byproduct from the combustion of gasoline and oxygen in these cars internal combustion engines.)

According to 97% of all scientists studying Global Warming, it is indeed man made. 3% are undecided. And these numbers are at least a few months old. See for example the Union of Concerned Scientists and the US Environmental Protection Agency.

I don’t know how far along you are in your math education, but if you are sufficiently far along you can look at:

– A line chart of the CO2 level rise in the atmosphere.

– A line chart of the temperature rise in the atmosphere. So far 2% of the energy resulting in temperature rise has gone into the atmosphere and 93,4% has gone into the worlds oceans.

– A line chart of temperature rise in the world’s oceans.

– A line chart of the sea level rise since the late nineteenth century.

– A line chart of the increasing acidification of the oceans due to CO2. It’s the same basic concept as carbonated water in soft drinks like Coca-Cola.

And: It’s important to be critical of the source of this information. Who is behind the source, and what is the source basing the information on. To be valid (true), it should be based on the best science available.

- - - Updated - - -

And now I don’t have all the numbers fresh, but Tesla isn’t loosing money. There is of course a huge investment of money in Tesla, and it will take time until Tesla can generate that much money back, but since the first quarter this year Tesla is profitable and making money. As I understand it they also have cash reserves of about $600 million. And since they continue to sell as many Model Ss as they can produce, they appear to be doing about as well as they possibly can. Hence their current stock price.

Last edited:
I thought I was young! 16 a Month ago! While Tesla is a fantastic, and I have a very similar situation. My father after two P85 can still not justify a 80-100k car. While this doesn't seem to be the case with you, he just has never bought Big luxury/performance cars. Who knows maybe next summer he'll feel the Tesla fever and finally get one so I shut up.