Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convincing My Dad PLEASE HELP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
iStig have you thought of showing him this thread and letting him decide for himself? There has been some great feedback.
Perhaps he has already seen the thread as a guest and is intentionally driving you craze. I could see myself doing that to my son. :smile:

I agree with aron. If you think it’s a good idea, then show him this thread.

And I also agree about the winter tires. …And the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires seems to be the preferred choice of the Model S owners on TMC. They can make a really huge difference if you need to stop quickly or perform an evasive maneuver. In some icy conditions summer tires could make it impossible to steer when cornering, or to stop the car…

Last edited:
[email protected]

Does every one of your posts have to detour a thread in this direction? You couldn't even get past three sentences before bringing up your favorite topic yet again.

I think I'm just going to start making up a new random topic of the month and make sure I list it in every post.

This month's topic - Caricature:
Caricature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He asked for arguments. I gave him one. Sorry I ruined your day.

- - - Updated - - -

And judging from the feedback so far, I seem to have _at least_ a 50/50 approval rating...

- - - Updated - - -

…and outside the dedicated global warming thread I’d guesstimate it’s about 10% of my posts. But you’re welcome to count them for me… :wink:

You seem to be handy with computers so it wouldn’t surprise me if you can find a way to do that in a couple of seconds.

I think for most people Tesla is mostly about the car and the performance and the good car it is. The CO2 stuff comes as an added bonus that very few will consider as THE major point for getting the car. There will be some, but not most. If I had been ignorant of the Model S and someone came with the CO2 as the main selling argument I'd be more likely to brush him aside even though I fully understand the CO2 impact. The fun part usually is that the main contributors to the reduction of ozone layer and global warming are actually farting cows :) The amount of cows that are kept to feed the populace is enough that the gases they produce from what I remember exceed that of cars ;)

my dad is a small time car collector
There is no car in the same class as the Tesla Model S. That may not be the case in 5 years, but I'm certain it will be the case for at least the next 2-3.

Couple that with the compelling trophy case that Tesla has been filling from sources ranging from Motor Trend to NHTSA, and any collector should be intrigued by this vehicle's position already in automotive history. Some would argue Tesla has already surpassed recognizable names like Tucker and Delorean. Note that I choose those two names carefully. Some would associate them with the demise of corporations and the dreams of their founders, but many would argue that those vehicles have gone up in value from a collector perspective not down due to rarity, etc.

Allright, here we go:

iStig, no matter what keep at it. As already mentioned, do not pester your father, as that will not help, but you already seem to be aware of that.
You want your dad to buy the Model S. You already covered the performance and the qualities of the car, and that did not seem to do it. So the question is why do you want him to buy it? Is it because it is cool? Hip? Trendy? (I have no clue what term you kids use these days ;-))

Or are you in it because Tesla is the role model for future car manufacturers? Can you (and your 'young' friends) afford that we ('old folk') all keep burning oil, just for our local transportation needs? Will there be enough of it? How much will you be willing to spend when you get to drive? Is it OK that countries wage war over it? Is it OK that burning fossil fuel seems to mess up your future atmosphere? And I'm not only talking about CO2. There is the smog, the small particles, the pollution of the environment. (I'm sure you heard about a few oil-spills here and there). What about the future economy, if we all keep dependent on fossil fuels. Is that going to be a 'free' market?

Now look at how Tesla and the electrification of local transport can make a difference: there is no shortage of electricity (just look up how much energy the Sun sends our way every single day). There are opportunities in renewable energy production that your generation will be able to use. Even today, singing up with a renewable energy provider, you can become independent from fossil fuels. Electric vehicles also do not produce smog from their tailpipe. So if charged right, they are super-clean, and will help in giving your generation a better environment. Solar panels provide direct clean energy to your house and perhaps car, so you are less dependent on foreign suppliers. Making it easier to choose where your electricity will come from.

So for your own sake, keep at it. Get your father of oil.

ps: there is always the quote from Jay Leno: Electric cars will save the Petrolhead, as it will allow us to keep driving those iconic cars.

…/ If I had been ignorant of the Model S and someone came with the CO2 as the main selling argument I'd be more likely to brush him aside even though I fully understand the CO2 impact. /...
Really? You seem like such a nice guy! :wink: (Not to mention that you're a physicist at CERN...)

But yeah I know, it seems you have to really be super-considerate with some folks. If you're not – then they will just by default turn off all their cognitive abilities no matter what...

.../ The fun part usually is that the main contributors to the reduction of ozone layer and global warming are actually farting cows :) The amount of cows that are kept to feed the populace is enough that the gases they produce from what I remember exceed that of cars ;)

Apart from the farting cows bit, unfortunately it all combined seems to be leading to not so funny consequences. And if one wants, I see no reason why both exhausts can't be taken into consideration. It also seems we're in agreement that choosing an electric car instead of one with an internal combustion engine will help regardless of the cow dilemma (and here the cars in question seem to be the e63 or the m6 gran coupe...).

Also: The more people that buy a Model S, the sooner Tesla will likely be able to go into production with the Gen3 car. Granted, it may perhaps only be able to move thing forward a couple of months at the most(?), but once they get that car into production, that will have a potential to really begin to change things for the better (IMHO).

Last edited:
Really? You seem like such a nice guy! :wink: (Not to mention that you're a physicist at CERN...)

But yeah I know, it seems you have to really be super-considerate with some folks. If you're not – then they will just by default turn off all their cognitive abilities no matter what...

Yes, it's just because of the fact that the speech is relatively similar always and I've heard it many times, I know the details, reasons and agree with the fact that change is needed. However now that I've acknowledged it years and years ago I don't need to hear it all the time and that becomes an annoyance sorry to say and that means the brain goes to auto-protect mode :) So for me that's a bonus, but one shouldn't push this as the absolute best selling point. People are rarely driven by their wish to improve the welfare of others. Most of the time they're relatively egoistic and want what's best for them and their family. They will be charitable and good and do good etc, but deep down 90% of the people will think about themselves first even if it's just the minor part that will get them the P85+ instead of S60 because they want the fun and joy of it ;) Nothing bad about it, just means one needs to take a different approach.

Apart from the farting cows bit, unfortunately it all combined seems to be leading to not so funny consequences. And if one wants, I see no reason why both exhausts can't be taken into consideration. It also seems we're in agreement that choosing an electric car instead of one with an internal combustion engine will help regardless of the cow dilemma (and here the cars in question seem to be the e63 or the m6 gran coupe...).

Also: The more people that buy a Model S, the sooner Tesla will likely be able to go into production with the Gen3 car. Granted, it may perhaps only be able to move thing forward a couple of months at the most(?), but once they get that car into production, that will have a potential to really begin to change things for the better (IMHO).

Well the only thing sadly that moves the whole world is money. So if one can make the right choice economical, then it will happen all by itself. The proper way is incentives and privileges for EV cars, pollutant taxes and CO2 quotas. So some of it is already in place, but not strongly enough. Tackling this will need to be from highest pollutants downwards and right now cars are not the highest if I remember right (haven't updated my know-how in this a few years so may be out of touch a bit). So I agree that cities should have an ICE tax because of the high concentration of exhaust causing bad air and smog and health issues, but on a global scale we do have to first think what to do with the cows ;)

So i am probably the youngest person on this forum. my dad is a small time car colector and owns many cool cars and he currently drives a 2013 m5 as a daily driving. my sisters have been visiting collage so hes been driving around a lot and it already has 40k miles after 11 months. So now he is car shopping. We have been to tesla 3 times in westchester ny and today we took out a 85kwh (asked for a p85 but idk) anyways he really enjoyed the car and everything but to him its just a big golf cart and he doesn't see how its better than anything else. For some reason he thinks that it is expensive when his car cost 10k more and he can save 16k more a year lol. im 13 and my dad owns a company but were not insanely wealthily so money is not a obstacle but he does thin about stuff like that. he is also currently in a lawsuit so he is very stressed. i need to get some advice on how to get him to purchase the car and get the tesla grin on his face as soon as possible. also he has some illusion that he needs awd for ct conditions, and i know alot more about cars than hi especially tesla.

Sounds like YOU WANT THE CAR more than he. Maybe he needs to concentrate on his lawsuits instead of looking for a car.

Unless he takes his M5 to the track, I have no idea why he'd want to keep it after driving the Model S. I guess he likes going to the gas station and throwing money away? :)

Seriously though since you've gotten him to drive one already there's probably not much else you can do. (Unless driving a P85+ will make the difference).

Sounds like YOU WANT THE CAR more than he. Maybe he needs to concentrate on his lawsuits instead of looking for a car.
And it sounds like YOU MISSED THE PART where iStig told us that his dad is currently in the market for a new car (And please don’t get offended by that. I just used the same wording and formatting you used… :wink: )

thanks guys, well my dad needs to buy a new car and he wants a e63 or m6 gran coupe /… [Post #4]

- - - Updated - - -

…/ (Unless driving a P85+ will make the difference).
As I remember it there are (almost) a countless number of stories on this forum about how the P85+ apparently handles noticeably better than all the other versions of the Model S. If I’m not mistaken it most often sounds something like this (paraphrasing): Handling on par or better than an M5!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it's just because of the fact that the speech is relatively similar always and I've heard it many times, I know the details, reasons and agree with the fact that change is needed. However now that I've acknowledged it years and years ago I don't need to hear it all the time and that becomes an annoyance sorry to say and that means the brain goes to auto-protect mode :)
Well, in fairness, neither was it intended for you… :wink:

If a sufficient majority held your position on Man Made Global Warming, then I never would have 'had to' write that post in the first place…

Thanks, i am actually sick at home but i have read all these comments and caught myself up. First off im not going to lie he could care less about saving fuel or co2 emission, i am also not gonna lie that he is so non environmentally conscious it annoys me and im not some environment freak myself. anyways he owned a fisker karma for a bout 3 months (very long indeed) and now hes afraid to buy a car similar to it. He also takes his m5 to monticello some times when he wants to change it up from a radical or anything else. and yes i think i do want the car more than him but i pick out and build everyone he buys so i do have a say. he would honestly love the car if he would suck up and buy it and i honestly dont know what about it he doesn't like because everyone of my friends parents who have them love them, my dads friends love them and i do. seems like hes the only one who doesn't.

.../ People are rarely driven by their wish to improve the welfare of others. Most of the time they're relatively egoistic and want what's best for them and their family. /... [My underline.]
And that’s the kind of thinking I was appealing to: iStig’s dad wanting to do what’s best for his children (iStig has at least two sisters… [see post #1]). And as we all know, the beauty of wanting to do what’s best for ones children in this case, turns out to be the best thing for everyone else’s children as well…

(And about the non underlined part: If you ever find yourself with some time that you don’t know what to do with [yeah I know…], then you could always look into how it was that the Swedish welfare state came into existence, up until say around 1988, before it slowly started to begin to get dismantled. It’s my understanding that Estonian and Swedish modern history are quite different in that regard.)

- - - Updated - - -

@ iStig

As I understand it, the Karma had quite a few reliability problems. And the user interface of the Karma’s touch screen wasn’t very easy to use. As I understand it, it was about as difficult as those devices can get, as well as slow due to slow computer hardware. And the center console touch screen in the Karma also had/has bad visibility in certain lighting conditions. And unfortunately there never really were any fixes to all these problems. And Fisker also weren’t able to sell any cars. And finally they stopped producing cars and laid of all their staff including Henrik Fisker himself (all staff except for 20 or so in the top management).

So I don’t think anyone here would blame your dad for selling that Fisker since it probably didn’t work very well, and your dad also probably figured out pretty early on that Fisker Automotive risked bankruptcy. And today Fisker Automotive practically is bankrupt…

The Model S and Tesla Motors on the other hand are completely different. Yes, there are some issues with some cars, but Tesla are able to fix every single one of them, and everyone (!) on this forum pretty much absolutely love their cars (!)

Last edited:
(more) @ iStig

Your father isn’t the only one not buying a Model S. And you have tried. Sometimes things just don’t work out the way you want them to.

Do your parents live together? If so, does your mom have an opinion? If your parents live together, perhaps you could talk to your mom and get her to think that a Tesla would be a good idea. Just a thought…

But I’m guessing you’ve considered this already if you thought that it might be able to help your ‘cause’…

Thanks, i am actually sick at home

Feel better soon!

he owned a fisker karma for a bout 3 months (very long indeed) and now hes afraid to buy a car similar to it.

Gah. The Model S really has nothing in common with a Fisker; isn't the Fisker a hybrid (at least, it has a gas tank...). It's like if he has problems with one gas car and said "well I don't want a car similar to this"...he'd still buy a car with a gas tank, though, in real life.

But this is a place to (slowly, carefully) try to counter his impressions of electric cars from his "bad Karma" so to speak. Think of what he didn't like about the Karma, and focus on how the Model S is different/better in that respect.

he would honestly love the car if he would suck up and buy it and i honestly dont know what about it he doesn't like because everyone of my friends parents who have them love them, my dads friends love them and i do. seems like hes the only one who doesn't.

Two things: You believe he would love it; you don't know for sure. Parents tend to be more conservative than their kids, sorry. Also, aha, you have friends with parents with a Model S? Maybe he should talk with them about how they like it, especially if any of them are car people, especially if any of them used to drive anything your dad drives or used to drive.

Good luck. :cool:

May be you can reinforce a few of the selling points for the Model S (saving thousands a year in energy costs, safety, quietness, competitive acceleration at 0 to 60 in 4-5 seconds, spaciousness with up to 7 seats) and if that doesn't work then you could try finding a car with your dad that you both like as a second best choice. If you can make your case stronger by bringing concrete facts to him with articles/links, it may help. Just try to stay away from arguments and respect your dad's final decision when he makes it. Some links that might help you:

Model S safety:
The Tesla Model S Is So Safe It Broke the Crash-Testing Gear | Autopia | Wired.com

Winter performance:
Driving my Model S in extreme winter conditions

On the recent fire:
Elon Musk addresses Tesla Model S fire, reiterates safety of electric vehicles | The Verge

19" All season tire:
Primacy MXM4 | Michelin Tires

I think I'd leave reprints of the Motor Trend Car of the Year article and the Consumer Reports article on your living room coffee table. Your dad is probably tired of discussing the matter, but maybe he will read. As a car collector, I'd think he would be interested in the biggest game changer in the car industry since the Model T.