TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cool car or tree hugger??

Discussion in 'Model S' started by lolgas, May 15, 2015.

1. lolgas

lolgas Member

So I've been getting this question a few times per week now and it's pretty annoying:

"Are you really a tree hugger or did you buy the Tesla because you think it's cool?"

Of course there's a cool factor by owning a Tesla, especially being an IT geek like myself since I'm essentially driving a computer on wheels, however what kills me is the tree hugger part. I think it's pretty important for everyone to care about the environment and the state we'll be leaving it in when we're long gone but I do also own a Tahoe for hauling around the family and I use a gasoline lawn mower so what does that make me... I feel there's a sense of jealousy, not to sound pompous, from those who take the time to ask such a silly question. I've also been told by complete strangers that I could have saved thousands by buying a Prius...SMH

Feel free to share your stories...

2. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

We had to really stretch for the Model S, and the major reason in the end, since the ROI didn't work, was to support Tesla in their goal of getting to the Model 3 and turning everyone else into tree huggers. Although every month more of ownership I actually feel a little more tree huggerish myself. Go figure.

EDIT: ok, maybe make that "excuse" instead of "reason"

3. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

If you're having a bad day and have just had enough, you might answer: Are you really a jerk or do you just talk to exercise your mouth?
    If you're having a good day, invite them into the passenger seat and floor it.

4. Danal

Danal electricmotorglider.com

I think if someone said this as a joke, I'd let it slide. Or even joke back "Bark gives me a rash".

If they said it with some bite in the "Tree Hugger" part, I would look them dead in the eye and say "As opposed to what, a poisoner?", or "Even a dog is smart enough not to sh-t where it sleeps", or similar biting phrase. And then just stop and let it be as awkward as possible.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

There's a large irony in the "tree hugger" label being applied to early adopters of technology.

6. eloder

eloder Member

You could always respond that it's the least efficient EV out there, which is true! But it seems like accelerating away, with or without them in the car, is the best answer to the question :tongue:

7. lolgas

lolgas Member

Haha nice, even the S60 still sends a message to family and friends that it's a very powerful motor :)

8. roblab

roblab Active Member

I tell them I bought it because it's the best car on earth, ten years ahead of it's time. Unless they have driven one, they won't know what I mean, and if they have, they will agree. If I have time, I will share the dozen items or so that prove my point.

9. ZsoZso

ZsoZso Member

The coolness factor, high quality, quick acceleration were all bonus items for me, but the primary reason I bought was the "tree-hugger" feature along with the practicality of long range and superchargers. I have been driving an iMiev (see my avatar) for 2 years before getting the MS as a daily commuter, but I could not take longer trips with that. Tesla is the only full solution EV currently on the market. The shorter range EVs are not suitable for road-trips even if level-3 (Chademo) chargers were available everywhere (which is not the case anyway), you wouldn't want to have half-hour stops after every hour of driving.

I wanted and all-electric driving solution (ideally powered by PV solar or other renewables) for all my car use, and Tesla is the only answer for that now. If a cheaper solution was available I would have gone with that even if it was slower / less cool etc.

ps: I have always been using an electric lawn mower :wink:, and I do have rooftop solar panels (self-installed).

10. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

Good post. We (early adopters) need to set the example, provide the leadership, and the support for Tesla to change the world. I truly believe in the next 10-20 years, the ICE will ONLY be in "classic" cars.

I'm an environmental engineer. I decided to go this route to leave this earth in a better place for my kid than how my parents handed it to me.

Charge On!

11. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I have yet to have that comment, I'm not sure what a tree hugger is. There are extremes to everything in life, if you are concerned about the environment which everyone should be then you will try to do things that do not impact it in a bad way. I would say for me it is more about not supporting the petroleum companies who would like you to believe they are environmentally aware based on there commercials. I installed solar because I want to minimize my payments to our monopolistic power companies. Does it make me feel good to power my house and car with the sun and that I do not have to buy gas, absolutely, if that qualifies as a tree hugger then I guess I'm one.

12. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I bought the car because I wanted to stop paying ridiculous gas prices. I wanted off gasoline totally, so was not looking for a hybrid. I found the Tesla and it met the requirements of range and no gas. After the test drive, I wanted it because it is the best car available now.
    My better half wanted it for environmental reasons.

13. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I bought the MS simply because I was sick of paying $550-$700/month in gas. I don't want to give big oil any more money. And I opted for the P85 model because I like driving faster and it was a great value at that time. I wouldn't say I was looking for the "cool" factor and certainly not the "green" factor. I'm a techie. And it's definitely the right car for a techie person.

14. lolgas

lolgas Member

That's a ton of money in gas! I'm finding that, being that I work from home, I'm only having to charge once a week if that. So yeah my original goal was for the cool factor as I don't spend nearly any money on gas. Wife is not a fan and said for the money I could have gotten something way more luxurious, like the S550. I didn't want an ICE and I knew the day Tesla released the Model S that one day I would own one. It wasn't a matter of affordability but more along the lines of practicality. I didn't want to pay the $85k+ to own one as much as I've been drooling over them for the past few years. So now I guess I'm cool and eco-friendly lol

15. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

range rover evoque 19mpg @$4.00/gallon (2012/2013 gas price) and 2800-3200 miles/month. it was a such piece of crap that I ended up lemon lawing it for a critical safety design flaw that the manufacturer couldn't figure out how to fix

and when you do the math, even though the Tesla was almost double the price of the Evoque, the Tesla is actually much much cheaper when you factor in how much I was paying for gas every month.

16. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

The association with environmentalism is the only thing about my car that I don't like.

17. RobAndrews510

RobAndrews510 Member

100% "COOL CAR". I'm trading in a '13 Boss 302 for a Tesla, so that's where I'M coming from

18. eujinc

eujinc Member

Cool car for me too. Definitely cool car first. The "tree hugging" was a consideration but a distant second.

19. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I go the tree hugger route. "If driving a luxury sport sedan capable of 0-60 in 4 seconds is what I need to do to help save the planet, that is a sacrifice I am willing to make for the betterment of all. No need to thank me, just the kind of guy I am ;) "

But hey. I am kind of an aging hippie anyways.

20. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

Cool car 100%.