Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cool car or tree hugger??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope no one throws stones at me for saying this but I really don't find the look of the S all that cool. I've had non-car people (like me) tell me that from a distance the car looks like a Toyota. And I agree. For cool looks I'll go with the Roadster (or older Mercedes). So it's not cool looks that sold me but the cool technology built into the car. Add to that my admitted tree hugger status and I figure I won on both counts, environmental and cool.

Many of us went from some of the most polluting cars (V8 SUV "gas guzzler" on premium gasoline in my case) to one of the least polluting cars. This shows how fantastically market disrupting Tesla's cars are.

I think many people are "puzzled" in that they used to "justify" not buying a (too expensive) sports/luxury vehicle themselves because of a high carbon footprint. However, they cannot use that argument for not buying a Tesla and are now confronted with the (difficult!) question how much more money they're actually willing to spend on a "green" car. This eats at their conscience.

Based on this, I really hope Tesla will be able to release the Model 3 ASAP so as to make the green *and* cool electric technology attainable to more of us.

The Model S is without a doubt the most expensive car we have ever bought into. It's over 6 times as expensive as our current car and well outside the price-range of our socio-economic group.

Why did we buy it? Because the car is 100% in line with our values. Clean air, renewables and a future in which cities are not stinking polluted places that cause cancer and asthma.

Are we tree huggers? Probably, and yes we spent an hour in yellowstone watching a small mouse gather pinecones around a hot spring. I want everybody's children to see the mice in yellowstone and enjoy them.

And the real killer-feature: we always loved cars, especially real "driver's cars" like BMW's. We were also dependent on a car for one of our jobs, so we bit the bullet and drove a car.

The Tesla gives us freedom from that and gives us a real driver's car - no more stupid electric go-kart. The perfect double-whammy that ended up justifying the price.

For 10 years we have dreamed of an electric car and for us it is finally here.

Over the next year or two our house will run on "gallons of light" with a photovoltaic installation and our Tesla will charge on the huge windmillfarms that power our country at night.

=48686612.jpg

I don't even have the car yet and people ask me the question when I tell them one is coming. I live in a particularly conservative area of the country so if I sense any negativity in regards to the tree hugger comment I immediately respond with:

1) I'm sick of sending money (for oil) to countries and people in the Middle East that hate our country.
2) I'd only spend this much money for a car made In the USA.

Everyone likes that.

And they are in my top 5 reasons/justifications for buying.
The other three are the internet connectivity, the environmental factor... And the power!

It depends on who asks.

Often, I'll say that the car is 100% powered by Texas-produced fuels -- with no dependence on foreign oil. I find it much more interesting to discuss the energy policy ramifications than the environmental ones. Once people around here get that a typical electric car is about 50% fueled by natural gas plus coal, nuclear & wind, it's easier to talk about the "other" benefits.

The fact that it's manufactured in a place that some in Texas would concede is a part of the United States is a bonus.

It depends on who asks.

Often, I'll say that the car is 100% powered by Texas-produced fuels -- with no dependence on foreign oil. I find it much more interesting to discuss the energy policy ramifications than the environmental ones. Once people around here get that a typical electric car is about 50% fueled by natural gas plus coal, nuclear & wind, it's easier to talk about the "other" benefits.

Perfect. You're reframing the conversation on your terms and making it impossible for them to go negative.

People that come at you about price or calling you a tree-hugger aren't interested in long explanations. In my experience, the only thing that works is changing the conversation with a short answer like this (which was basically 'What, you're not supportive of the Texas economy?') that puts them on the defensive in a very friendly way. They have to agree with you that it's a smart choice. :)

Well done.

I know exactly where you're coming from. We had to stretch to get our S85 too. We just got to a point where we felt it was important to put our money where our values are. Tesla was the only Auto manufacturer who seemed serious about moving the world off of fossil fuels and I wanted to support that. Ours was one of the first 6,000 made, so while we knew it looked awesome, no one knew how reliable they would be, how safe they were, or even if Tesla would be around to service them in a year or two. Now, after two years, all of the objections to owning one have evaporated. Besides being beautiful, its the safest car, the most technologically advanced car, the quickest, best handling sedan for the money and Tesla seems here to stay. Now its a car that even someone who hasn't a clue about the environment would love.

The fact that it's manufactured in a place that some in Texas would concede is a part of the United States is a bonus.

Hehe. We're used to such slurs from other states, many of which complain of immigration from here with slogans like "Don't Californicate [insert state name]"

It has even been rumored that Oregon is planning a new freeway from the California border to the Washington border - with no off ramps. :)

Irony: having to cut down a tree if I'm going to install Rooftop PV.

Perfectly acceptable when the two are mutually exclusive; you save a lot more carbon with rooftop PV than having a tree around.

The energy conversation is one I like to have when justifying my own tiny-range EV over something like a used Volt of a lower cost. Our society is way too OK with relying on a fuel that indirectly funds ISIS (it's estimated that they bring in several million daily from black market oil sales, and I highly doubt that such oil doesn't eventually make its way through the OPEC power circle and into our cars). In Ohio I also have the option of choosing who provides my electrical generation (directly, or indirectly via energy credits), and I'm more than happy to pay a tiny bit more for nuclear and wind power generation than drawing off the coal grid. Even if EVs are drawing off of dirty coal for another 5-20 years, it's still American dirty coal instead of Middle Eastern dirty fuel. Lesser of two evils from an environmental standpoint, definitely the better option from an energy policy standpoint, and people don't seem to realize that in going anti-EV.

So yes, thank you to all of those in this thread who are saving the planet by going 0-60 in 3.1s :biggrin:

"Are you really a tree hugger or did you buy the Tesla because you think it's cool?"
This is a loaded question where both are attempts at an insult. The former because it's an attack on environmentalism as, well, kinda cultish. The latter because it's saying you bought the car for flashy or tech, rather than because of the automotive characteristics.

A better phrasing would be:
What drove you (wordplay!) to buy a Model S? Environmentalist concerns? Geek/tech? Automotive performance? Styling? Efficiency? Overall operating costs? etc.

I have a variety of answers depending on my read of the questioner:
  1. Best car on the road. Ask Motor Trend. Or Car and Driver. Or Edmund's. Or Consumer Reports.
  2. "WTF", "OMG", etc. response of passengers that have never ridden the Tesla rollercoaster.
  3. Cheaper than gas, and easier to manage for daily driving.
  4. Cheaper to maintain, and better service experience when doing so.
  5. Avoiding the dealership experience is worth every penny.
  6. Have you ridden one? Would you like to?
  7. It's quicker than your car. I'll bet you dinner. Come for a ride.
  8. It's better than your car. I'll bet you dinner. Come for a ride.
  9. Someone has to fund Gen 3. I'm happy to enjoy doing so.

I'm still a week or so away from delivery, and my expectation is there are too many of these on the road for people to still ask this question. Even if I hadn't been following Tesla I would have noticed something really weird going on around here. The weird thing being all these $100K cars being driven by a demographic completely different than has ever driven that expensive of a car before. So it's obvious to anyone paying attention that there has been a disruption in the marketplace.

I hope I'm not asked this question because I have no clear answer. I think it's only asked because up till recently we were forced to compromise between the two, and now we don't have to. So that's why I see someone above me who has come from a Prius who now owns a Model S, and someone like me who came from a various petrolhead sportscars who has a Model S that's just about to be delivered.

When you got a Prius it was clear what you were getting. The bragging rights was about how much milage you got.
When you got a Porsche the only question that was whether you tracked it and how fast you went around the track.

Now that you have a Model S you just don't fit into any category.

I see a P85D, and I expect to see a middle age man. Nope.. It's a grandmother enjoying her sunday drive.

So why did I get it? I don't really know. At some point my subconscious decided on it. Every rational excuse (sales tax exemption, freedom of the supercharger network, not having to get gas before work, etc) has simply been a way to justify that subconscious decision.

I like cars that wrap around me, and are small. I like feeling every bump in the road, and the roar of an engine behind me. I like being able to take a corner without slowing down like the Porsche Cayman S did so wonderfully before I turned it in.

An updated roadster would have been an easy sell to me.
The Gen3 would have been pretty easy transition

So why a Tesla MS? A car that fits a family so perfectly isn't exactly the idea choice for a single person.

Why something so large that won't even fit in my garage without moving things around despite the fact that a 4 door SUV's fit just fine as is.

Why have a car with a steering wheel mounted gear sector? That's so grandmotherish. I've never owned a car like that.

What was so compelling to disrupt my slow journey towards a Ferrari?

I don't know.

It did despite so many awesome cars that were possible options.

The I8 or the Acura NSX. Either one would get me to work and back on electric power while offering long distance capability. I don't have the same hatred for plug in hybrids as others in this group. Since I think most of us have some kind of hybrid solution anyways. It's a transitionary thing. Like another option for me would have been a Nissan Leaf for the workweek and a Porsche Cayman for the weekend.