Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Cool" features for model 3 in later versions - how late?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently it was said during the shareholders meeting that "cool" features for model 3 will be in later versions as opposed to the model X where the cool versions caused some issue.

So, how long we'll have to wait? Do you want to wait? I'm hoping that since I'm in Europe I won't have to wait too much extra but *shrugs*

Note, I haven't yet watched the shareholders meeting and I'm trusting the information mentioned in this post: [Official Thread] 2016 Tesla Annual Shareholder Meeting [2pm PDT - 9 UTC] • /r/teslamotors

Depends what "cool" features you want. If the sensors are there then autonomous driving can improve via software update, it has four wheels, an electric drivetrain, sweet aesthetics.

I'm not sure what other "cool" feature you'd be waiting for that won't be available at launch.

Depends what "cool" features you want. If the sensors are there then autonomous driving can improve via software update, it has four wheels, an electric drivetrain, sweet aesthetics.

I'm not sure what other "cool" feature you'd be waiting for that won't be available at launch.

That's part of the problem, waiting for the unknown :D

In any case, after watching the meeting it doesn't sound as bad as the text I was basing my comment on made it sounds. It's more in in the direction that all manufacturers do, add new features to top end products since they are more expensive and eventually the features trickle down to more affordable products. So I jumped the gun with this thread. :eek:

Reactions: geoffreak
Cooler features will always be constantly added as time goes on. I would guess the Model 3 inherits features a year after S/X get them. That would be enough time for cost to come down. So maybe next summer S/X get autopilot 2.0, but M3 doesn't get it until end of 2018. In any case, you have to decide whether getting the car sooner is more important than waiting for the next big feature. As Musk said, if you're waiting for the best version of the car you want, you'll be waiting forever.

I'm an early in line reservation holder, so I expect my Model 3 next year, but I really hope that doesn't mean I have to miss out on a big feature that gets pushed out a year later, like the early Model S buyers that missed autopilot and AWD.

By cool features, I presume you don't mean "a long-distance electric car for $35,000".

Hopefully as late as possible so all the people in the queue ahead of me who want cool features drop out.

I just want the basics of BEVs (heated stuff), I'll pay for whatever Autopilot there is, and all auto-up windows.

As for me-base model 3 with d option only. No autopilot which I think is a huge waste of money.
No leather-again waste of money-I personally hate it with a passion. I've had many of them in the past.
No pano roof-I've come to the conclusion that it's a waste of money-if it cracks-be ready to pay a hefty price for the window replacement.
A lot of thrown stones from trucks here. I can see where it might be nice in the south.
Bigger battery pack-maybe if it is reasonable-highly unlikely. I ave out the cost of the entry level battery and calc bigger battery at -10% for more cost of the battery. If 55kw comes out to $180/kw-70kw better be $165-170 per kw or else I won't be buying it. Don't really need it, but might like to have it in case I sell it later on.
I have no interest in cow bells or cool stuff. I still prefer roll down windows-they have never failed on me ever. Electric has failed over 10x's now on 3 different cars-probably closer to 20. My S even had some issues with the electric windows.
I'm a basic guy and don't need the P or L-complete waste of money to be 'cool'. I'm way beyond those years.
So, I think age and ego play a role here, but money isn't an issue-practicality is more my issue.
Now, I head off to things I might really like to have is/are the HUD:
side video on the hud both left and right. Removable side mirrors. Once regulations change I'd like to not have them at all.
Rear vid on the monitor panel-when in reverse
A custom hud configuration that doesn't obstruct my view of the road-don't put the hud directly in the middle of the window-distracting and seriously not wanted. Put all that info on the bottom portion of the window. Possibly customizeable in where the data is on the window.
Heated seats-no
cooled seats-no
If you have a yeast infection I can see where this might be useful.
Sorry guys but no to hatchback. Hate em.

Well, I guess I am the opposite of you tsla007 :)
I love the AP,leather seats, Pano roof (worried about cracks though) , bigger battery, Dual, heat/cooled seats etc...... But back to the "cool" additions in the future. This is one of the reasons I am thinking of a lease rather than purchase. Lease 3 yrs. and get another new M3 every 3 years

Ok, picture this:
It's June 2012 (6-22 to be precise) and the first 10 customers are receiving their brand new, highly optioned, technologically advanced Model S vehicles. Do you think any of them could have visualized "cool" features such as the AP? I don't think so. So Imagine what the "second" version of the Model 3 may bring......it just blows your mind.

Ok, picture this:
It's June 2012 (6-22 to be precise) and the first 10 customers are receiving their brand new, highly optioned, technologically advanced Model S vehicles. Do you think any of them could have visualized "cool" features such as the AP? I don't think so. So Imagine what the "second" version of the Model 3 may bring......it just blows your mind.
Yessss.. That's how I like to think.

No pano roof-I've come to the conclusion that it's a waste of money-if it cracks-be ready to pay a hefty price for the window replacement.

Pano roof (worried about cracks though)

Remember, the amount of roof that ISN'T part of the windshield or rear window is very small

p61PIVR.jpg