Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cool Texas custom plate available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting a custom plate for the car, I thought this would be cool but we decided on another one.
Feel free to take it!

PLPC001.png

PLUG*N gets the Texas shape in there. It also creates the space needed to keep the plate from saying Pluggin' which could have an entirely different connotation.

I've said this before, but why would I give extra money to a state that allows it's representatives to be purchased by the auto dealers association?

I've said this before, but why would I give extra money to a state that allows it's representatives to be purchased by the auto dealers association?

If you order a custom plate for 10 years, you are actually saving money over simply paying annual registration fees. Right now, it's $50.75 per year for state registration (not including county fees) comes to $507.50. Annual registration could go up, too.

If you order it right now, ordering it for 10 years comes to $495. In Collin county, I would pay $11.50 for annual county fees only.

So if you want to give the shaft to Texas to the tune of $12.50, get the custom plate! ;)

If you order a custom plate for 10 years, you are actually saving money over simply paying annual registration fees. Right now, it's $50.75 per year for state registration (not including county fees) comes to $507.50. Annual registration could go up, too.

If you order it right now, ordering it for 10 years comes to $495. In Collin county, I would pay $11.50 for annual county fees only.

So if you want to give the shaft to Texas to the tune of $12.50, get the custom plate! ;)

That's not how the last custom plates worked. I got charged and extra $65 per year every year I had them. No decrease in the registration fee either.

That's not how the last custom plates worked. I got charged and extra $65 per year every year I had them. No decrease in the registration fee either.

That's the way they used to be many years ago. Did you pre-pay it for several years or did you just renew it annually with your registration. My wife used to work for the DMV and she was the one that looked over personalized plates. She was hesitant to get a custom plate for your reasons, but it looks like since they outsourced it to MyPlates.com, it's actually a bit cheaper.

That's the way they used to be many years ago. Did you pre-pay it for several years or did you just renew it annually with your registration. My wife used to work for the DMV and she was the one that looked over personalized plates. She was hesitant to get a custom plate for your reasons, but it looks like since they outsourced it to MyPlates.com, it's actually a bit cheaper.

Annually.

Since we plan on keeping this car for 10 years or so, it makes sense for us to go ahead and buy the 10 year plates (and stiff the state for $12!)

I was happy to read this, since you seem so certain. Unfortunately, you are mistaken. You have prepaid your specialty plate fee, but you still have to pay your annual registration fee. Here is a quote from the FAQ from MyPlates.com:

"If I buy a multi-year specialty license plate, how do I pay my vehicle registration fees?Nothing changes. Each year, you will receive a registration renewal notice from the TxDMV. There are three options available to renew your registration: In the majority of Texas counties, you can renew your vehicle registration online at www.texas.gov, renew by mail, or renew in person at your local county tax assessor-collector's office."