Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cool video with different electric vehicles and their real world driving range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of the coolest vidoes that I have watched about electric vehicles being driven in real world environment and taken down to 0% battery (until dead) to see what will happen with the care and more honest miles range. Might have been posted somewhere on the forum but I haven't seen it.

Also, I have never known that Tesla has different Charging ports in different countries (idk why im suprised its like different outlets) ><

Thanks for posting video. Actual collective results vs claimed range were poor (81%). Model 3 was 78%..Before owning a Y I had a gen2 Volt. The EPA electric only range was 53, yet I consistently averaged 63 and it would take some seriously fast or poor driving to get it below its EPA number. I had thought the EPA had gotten stricter with mileage claims but I guess they are more lenient with EVs.

Thanks for posting video. Actual collective results vs claimed range were poor (81%). Model 3 was 78%..Before owning a Y I had a gen2 Volt. The EPA electric only range was 53, yet I consistently averaged 63 and it would take some seriously fast or poor driving to get it below its EPA number. I had thought the EPA had gotten stricter with mileage claims but I guess they are more lenient with EVs.

It should be noted that all of the cars sat overnight after being fully charged. I think the Model 3 was 4 or 5% down from 100%, so if they're going off 100% battery rated range to how much they actually drove, you have to minus out ~3.75kWh from that because it sat overnight. The large majority of users would unplug right before they hit the road, or turn off all Sentry mode and stuff and thus lose maybe 1% overnight. Almost 4kWh is probably good for at least another 15 miles and maybe as much as 18 miles to the observed range in the Tesla...

Interesting video. We own a 2019 Bolt. EPA range is 238, but as we drive conservatively we do considerably better (MA driving, mostly on Cape Cod, some off-Cape highway use). Well over 250 miles, the GOM has indicated +300 at 100% charge on occasion.

Still going to buy a Tesla Y for distance travel. The charging infrastructure for other manufacturers EVs simply isn't reliable enough for serious traveling purposes.

The Bolt will remain our "second car."

Rich

I owned a 2013 and a 2017 Volt. While both could beat their EPA-rated EV range with careful driving, if I drove with traffic, the way I do with my Teslas, they wouldn't fair any better than what this video shows. It's just that with the Volt I was always trying to avoid burning any gas, so I would drive slow and steady. I'm pretty certain my S can come closer to its EPA rating at 70 mph than the Volts could.

I think this video is a good idea of the range because they drive the cars the way most people would, not the way it was done for EPA. Also, in colder weather you get better idea of the battery range, warmer weather is much better for the car. Yes,I know they show EPA and 95% battery but still most people would drive the car around that charge and I think EPA was only show of what the manufacturer claim is as reference number, not what they are aiming for.

I owned a 2013 and a 2017 Volt. While both could beat their EPA-rated EV range with careful driving, if I drove with traffic, the way I do with my Teslas, they wouldn't fair any better than what this video shows. It's just that with the Volt I was always trying to avoid burning any gas, so I would drive slow and steady. I'm pretty certain my S can come closer to its EPA rating at 70 mph than the Volts could.

One good thing with the Volt was that it constantly showed you what your current drain was at that moment so you could adjust how you were currently driving. Would be nice if the Tesla could do the same instead of WPH across each whole trip.

Reactions: SSonnentag
One good thing with the Volt was that it constantly showed you what your current drain was at that moment so you could adjust how you were currently driving. Would be nice if the Tesla could do the same instead of WPH across each whole trip.
It does that in the "Energy" app on the screen. It will show how your current/recent past energy draw has been, and you can choose to have the graph show the last 5, 15, or 30 miles. And then on the right, it shows a projected number of real miles you will be able to go, given that recent average consumption.

Also, EPA's highway test is lower speed than many drive. I think the average is closer to 50 or 55mph with just a couple short segments at higher speeds.

No, the old tests topped out at lower speeds.

From the 2008 Model Year the EPA 5-cycle tests include a high-speed test that tops out at 80mph, although that's relatively brief.

Also, EVs were or are allowed to use the old 2 cycle tests then lower by 30% fudge factor, which is the standard EPA fudge factor to compare the old 2-cycle v 5-cycle.

Depending on the vehicle, fudged 2-cycle might be better.

It does that in the "Energy" app on the screen. It will show how your current/recent past energy draw has been, and you can choose to have the graph show the last 5, 15, or 30 miles. And then on the right, it shows a projected number of real miles you will be able to go, given that recent average consumption.

Not exactly, if you look at this photo of a Volt you'll see up top where it shows .5 kw. Car is sitting still running a/c. As you drive, this value shows (current) current usage, allowing you to see how feather acceleration or running at various speeds affects current usage. It also shows negative values when it's on regen. Definitely more useful for efficiency than trying to figure out past usage graphs that you have to think back to traffic lights, speeds, hills, etc.
007.JPG

Not exactly, if you look at this photo of a Volt you'll see up top where it shows .5 kw. Car is sitting still running a/c. As you drive, this value shows (current) current usage, allowing you to see how feather acceleration or running at various speeds affects current usage. It also shows negative values when it's on regen. Definitely more useful for efficiency than trying to figure out past usage graphs that you have to think back to traffic lights, speeds, hills, etc.
Oh, instantaneous reading. Yes, Teslas have had a little graph for that, which goes orange for energy use and green for regen, etc. just like that from the beginning of the S and X. I think the 3 and Y have some way to display that graph too somewhere, but they only have the one screen and I'm not as familiar with the displays, so someone else will have to tell how to show that.

Oh, instantaneous reading. Yes, Teslas have had a little graph for that, which goes orange for energy use and green for regen, etc. just like that from the beginning of the S and X. I think the 3 and Y have some way to display that graph too somewhere, but they only have the one screen and I'm not as familiar with the displays, so someone else will have to tell how to show that.

Thx, this is what the manual has. The instant range feature seems to be the closest to current usage.

"The Energy app provides a visual representation of your vehicle's real-time and projected energy usage. To use the Energy app, navigate to Application Launcher > Energy on the touchscreen. Choose from two types of charts:• Consumption: Display how much energy Model Y has consumed over the past 5, 15 or 30 miles (10, 25 or 50 km

Touch Instant Range or Average Range to adjust the projected range estimation. Instant Range uses only the latest few data points to estimate the projected range, whereas Average Range uses the past 5, 15 or 30 miles (10, 25 or 50 km) of energy consumption to provide a more accurate projected range.• Trip: monitor the amount of energy being used while navigating to a destination. You can track actual usage against the initial prediction. The green line represents the actual usage whereas the gray line represents predicted usage. To change the zoom level, touch the zoom icon located in the top right corner of the chart. NOTE: The Trip chart displays energy usage only if you are currently navigating to a destination."

The instantaneous power draw/regen on the Teslas only shows motor usage and doesn't include HVAC or other more minor power draws like the Volt does. I'm pretty sure the Tesla graphs of Wh/mile (or km) do include these other power draws though.

The instantaneous power draw/regen on the Teslas only shows motor usage and doesn't include HVAC or other more minor power draws like the Volt does. I'm pretty sure the Tesla graphs of Wh/mile (or km) do include these other power draws though.
I was looking at my MY yesterday and at 75mph with the AC running, it was 320wh/mile. As soon as I turned off the AC it went to 310wh/mile. I think AC is included in the consumption.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Yep, that's what I was saying. I just wish it showed in the instantaneous dial (S/X) or bar (3/Y).
I've been holding off responding to this because I don't know the 3 or Y interfaces very well, but on the S or X, it absolutely already does this. There is that round pie chart looking thing that has pie slices of orange for energy output and green for energy recharging. And it is plainly obvious if you are just sitting parked that you can turn on the heat and see a little orange slice pop up there of instantaneous energy output. I have one of the old Model Ses before autopilot, so my display still has that round graph front and center since there is no radar info to show, so the pie chart is much bigger there, and it's easy to see.

• Informative
Reactions: SSonnentag
I've been holding off responding to this because I don't know the 3 or Y interfaces very well, but on the S or X, it absolutely already does this. There is that round pie chart looking thing that has pie slices of orange for energy output and green for energy recharging. And it is plainly obvious if you are just sitting parked that you can turn on the heat and see a little orange slice pop up there of instantaneous energy output. I have one of the old Model Ses before autopilot, so my display still has that round graph front and center since there is no radar info to show, so the pie chart is much bigger there, and it's easy to see.

I'm going to have to look more closely then. :)

Interesting video. We own a 2019 Bolt. EPA range is 238, but as we drive conservatively we do considerably better (MA driving, mostly on Cape Cod, some off-Cape highway use). Well over 250 miles, the GOM has indicated +300 at 100% charge on occasion.

Still going to buy a Tesla Y for distance travel. The charging infrastructure for other manufacturers EVs simply isn't reliable enough for serious traveling purposes.

The Bolt will remain our "second car."

Rich

That's what we recently did, and so far it's working very well. Took the MY from Maryland to Maine and back earlier this month, and it was a breeze. We probably spent as much time waiting for charging as we would have spent filling up with gas in the Fit that we used to have for long distance. Taking the Bolt to Maine would have been far more time-consuming (and stressful: Boy I sure hope that one EVgo station at the Hannaford is working, or we'll be in trouble!) The only disadvantage of the Tesla was that after dropping my daughter in lower Manhattan it routed us through the Carey Tunnel and Verrazano Narrows bridge rather than crosstown and out the Holland Tunnel like Apple and Google do. Might be a hair faster but it's almost $30 more in tolls!

Course we're traveling so little these days that I haven't even installed a L2 charging method for the Tesla. We just use the 120 V adapter cause we drive so rarely that that's plenty!