Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coolant hose needs replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 2021 Model Y started dripping blue coolant on the garage floor, just as we were heading out for a trip.
'Sparky' has 19K miles on it. The slow leak got worse with a couple supercharger stops. Got the Coolant low, OK to drive warning
Then progressed to limiting top speed to 65 mph and the exhibiting some bizarre behaviors (lots of things not working).
Managed to nurse it back to the Service Center in Richmond, VA and they are replacing the coolant hose that connects one of the drive units to the main cooling system.
(Currently waiting for parts).
I'm mildly concerned to have hoses wear out at 19K miles. It's being repaired under warranty, so no complaint there. How long until other hoses need to be replaced? Don't get me wrong - I love this car.

In an ICE vehicle, it's typical to replace the timing chain at 100K. What's the service interval for Tesla, to replace hoses or other internal items that wear?
If you search for 'coolant leak' or 'coolant hose' in this forum, it's clear this is not unusual issue - not suggesting it's common but seems like a potential vulnerability.
Am I too much of a worrier? Up to this point, I routinely told my friends 'There's no maintenance!' I'll need to revise that statement going forward. :)

Thanks @jcanoe - good point and definitely will do.
It's unlikely because the car has lived 99.9% of its life in a brand-new garage (and house). The garage floor is epoxy and spotless. Yes, I'm one of those types. Still doesn't hurt to ask the question and check.

For ICE vehicles, (which may be totally irrelevant), the radiator hoses have a typical life of five years. Tesla's obviously don't run at that high temps or pressure, so the expected life of coolant hoses on our cars is likely longer. But it's not infinite...

Mice have an excellent sense of smell. Don't store dry pet food inside a garage. Never leave snack foods or food wrappers inside a vehicle. (I viewed a Youtube video that showed that a mouse in search of a food can squeeze through a hole somewhere between the diameter of a dime and a nickel to get the bait.)

Reactions: KDeanCville
Thanks @jcanoe - good point and definitely will do.
It's unlikely because the car has lived 99.9% of its life in a brand-new garage (and house). The garage floor is epoxy and spotless. Yes, I'm one of those types. Still doesn't hurt to ask the question and check.

For ICE vehicles, (which may be totally irrelevant), the radiator hoses have a typical life of five years. Tesla's obviously don't run at that high temps or pressure, so the expected life of coolant hoses on our cars is likely longer. But it's not infinite...
I've only had one radiator hose leak and my cars are typically >100k miles and >10 years old (truck is 20 years 200k). Did have critters chew through washer and fuel lines though...
To your question, it didn't wear out. There was either damage to the hose or a manufacturing defect that finally reared it's head a year later.

sorry, I wanted to laugh, cause my truck which just turned 20 years old has only had the hoses changed out once when I did the timing belt @ 90,000 miles, 12 years ago. I keep squeezing them and they look fine and no leaks, but as it reaches 190k miles now I guess it’s time again, with another timing belt.

Reactions: TomB985
Resolution: SC in Richmond, VA replaced the hose for no charge. Said there was a hole in it but not from rodents or damage, just a manufacturer's defect.
They did a pressure test of the system for 30+ minutes to ensure no other issues, which I appreciate. They also mentioned they have a number of 10 yr old Model S that have not needed hoses replaced. They've done some manifold replacements but not hoses. Cheers!

Resolution: SC in Richmond, VA replaced the hose for no charge. Said there was a hole in it but not from rodents or damage, just a manufacturer's defect.
They did a pressure test of the system for 30+ minutes to ensure no other issues, which I appreciate. They also mentioned they have a number of 10 yr old Model S that have not needed hoses replaced. They've done some manifold replacements but not hoses. Cheers!
Excellent news! Thank you for the update.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
I figured I’d ask here too, I’m leaking coolant for sure also. The car is 7 years old but has also been garaged it’s entire life. Hard to believe it could be leaking coolant from above the front drive unit with under 7,000 miles.
58ECA812-76ED-4C7F-B11F-DC3D6D2D48DD.jpeg
051274CB-B0DE-4D1B-B6AD-1E25D85D7630.jpeg

Looks like Tesla coolant. Is it slippery when rubbed between two fingers? The dried up blue patches on the floor of the garage could be from washer fluid if you sprayed washer fluid while parked inside the garage. Some of the washer fluid will run down onto the ground underneath the Tesla after the windshield wipers clear the windshield.

Agreed! That blue fluid is almost certainly the battery coolant. My MY was less than 2 yrs old when it developed a pinhole leak of the battery coolant. Finding on the garage floor, like your photo, was exactly how I discovered it. Suggest you arrange for service ASAP.
Note that Tesla doesn't want you to add coolant but it can be done (if needed on an emergency basis and you're careful to use the right fluid).

Reactions: tesluv108