Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

coolant leak in rear drive unit (12k miles on odometer) and Tesla says someone touched it so the warranty NOT applicable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8E57FA1C-DCEE-4281-B68C-2031000F3341.jpeg

Pictures: shows leaking hose. Also notice absence of impact damage.

History: car was traded into Mercedes and Person A bought it. I bought it from Person A.

Tesla says: Service advisor says his Tech person is sure someone non Tesla “touched the car” or was working on the car. Their “proof” is that if the hose was in the correct position, it would not develop a leak.

My doubts: I do know the history is abnormal, but If a car is under bumper to bumper warranty, why would anyone elect to NOT have Tesla work on it? It seems unlikely.

What do I do?

Attachments

• 7BABEA38-A08B-4285-A96E-38F7AF6B8266.jpeg
    7BABEA38-A08B-4285-A96E-38F7AF6B8266.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 272
UPDATE: the manager said it is not warranty because the "outside influence" could have been from rodents or going over a hard bump. I asked for proof, and he said he needs to talk to his Technician.

@KArnold seems you actually have experience, if I do an NCDS, how long does it take?
Wow, now they are just casting around for an excuse. Rodents tend to chew things, not move them around. Teeth marks would be fairly obvious, I would think. And if a hard bump was able to move a hose slightly, well, then I don't know what to say about Tesla engineering. Of course, having already made the fix and (assumedly) tossed the old parts, they can't prove anything.

Upvote 0
I think we've all spent more than $600 of our time reading this thread. Pay the money, have it repaired and then sue them in small claims to get your $600 back. Get a declaration from the previous owner that he didn't make any modifications to the hose etc. There's no reason to expend any more effort on this.

I am sorry but I did the same thing, I thought this was a 20k repair, I read about 5 pages then found out this is this all over a $660 repair.

Upvote 0