Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

coolant leak, need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carl W

2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5
Oct 18, 2016
laguna beach, ca
Went out to my 2008 roadster this morning and there was a puddle of coolant as shown in the attached picture. I charged last night, FYI. I refilled the reservoir with coolant and found that it only drips when the pump is running. See other attached pictures. I can't tell if the leak is at the hose where the drip is, or if it's higher and dripping onto that hose. Perhaps it's as simple as removing the wheel to better access that one hose. Any thoughts here? Could/would the local tire place take care of this for me (assuming it's near the bottom of the pack)? She has 60k miles and I drive her every day.

Attachments

• coolant trail.jpg
    coolant trail.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 161
  • underside drip picture 2.jpg
    underside drip picture 2.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 123
  • underside drip.jpg
    underside drip.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 120
PROBLEM FOUND! The advice from all of you has been very helpful. As is usually the case, I'm not the first to have this problem. Upon closer inspection of my coolant tank, I found that there was a drip flow down the main hose from the bottom of the coolant tank. See attached picture. However, the real issue wasn't the connection or tank at the bottom. Instead, when I slightly moved the upper small hose that shoots coolant into the upper part of the tank, it broke off completely. See attached picture. So I'm certain that it was already cracked and this allowed leaking coolant to run down the tank, over to the main hose, and down to the bottom of the car and onto the ground.

My temporary fix was to cut up a coiled garden hose which has an internal diameter that was perfect for pushing the inlet hose up into without leaking. Then putting the garden hose into the top of the tank. I have since this time drilled a hole through the original cap so that the garden hose now goes through that and shouldn't splash coolant out. Still need to plug up the broken inlet hole, but I think this fix will allow me to drive until I can get the tank replaced.

Attachments

• broken coolant tank.jpg
    broken coolant tank.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Coolant tank leak.jpg
    Coolant tank leak.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 103

Here's the final MacGyver fix where I drilled a hole in the cap to prevent coolant splashing out. I've driven at least 100 miles since doing this and haven't lost any coolant. Trying to get a replacement reservoir. Is our reservoir also used on some other car? In other words, can I get the reservoir from another source? The cap is half in German, but my searches for Audi, BMW, MB, and VW haven't turned anything up.

Attachments

• MacGyver fix.jpg
    MacGyver fix.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 82